Bluebird 2018

ken anderson.

Advert

Great stuff, a wonderful tribute to a true 'boy's own' hero of my young days. A shame that some of his family have expressed and objection to Bluebird being run again (but not to the restoration, per se). I don't agree - providing it's done sympathetically and safely I think it's a fabulous tribute, as opposed to solely being an artifact frozen in time and static in a museum.

I agree with Cuban8, displayed sympathetically a great tribute to Donald Cambell

At Pendine sands in west wales land speed record car " BABS " Is sometimes run in tribute to welsh inventor John Parry Thomas who was killed there in 1927 in an attempt to get the land speed record back from Donald's farther Sir Malcom Cambel.

A very demanding project which seems to be reaching a very successful conclusion. The simple fact that Bluebird has actually run under her own power could even be considered at least a very short step from total success.

Apparently she is powered by a Bristol Siddely Orpheus gas turbine engine which was donated from a Folland Gnat. The Orpheus was the starting point for the development of the BS (later RR) Pegasus vectored thrust engine.

Thanks for the videos.

Geoff

The boat was originally designed and built by the Norris bros. within a couple of miles of where I am sitting typing this in West Sussex.

Local legend has it that the original sponsons, which I believe were the only parts of the boat to be salvaged at the time, were stored for years in their workshops, then put in to landfill and are now buried below part of the Ditchling Common Industrial Estate. Some effort was made to locate them following the recovery of the boat, but nothing was found.

As said by others, a very evocative sight - I am of an age where I well remember seeing the crash on the TV news.

Kim

My own childhood very early memory was of John Cobb and the Crusader,

I built a model about 450mm long unfortunately I have never finished it. Mainly because I do not know how to build a flexible drive shaft assembly. I have some bits, but no knowledge.

The jet bluebird came into my consciousness at the age of about 10-12, as a mate had a plastic kit bluebird.

I had a book about Crusader, that could be why I remember it more clearly.

That is not so,the larger fin fitted for the 67 attempt came from a crashed Folland Gnat purchased by Cambell for its Orpheus engine which was more powerful than the original Beryl.

It still sends a shiver down my spine watching the film of Cambell's final run. I think it was broadcast live with Cambell himself commenting on a radio link. His final words were " I can't see anything----- I've got the bows out---I'm going--- A sobering moment for a twelve year old.

• 1 year later...

Having seen the accident on TV in '67 and the run on TV in 2018, when I was near Coniston a few months ago I saw adverts to see Bluebird at the Coniston museum. It was late in the day but I thought £13 for us to see it was well worthwhile. I was a bit disappointed though as it wasn't the rebuilt Bluebird but just the original wrecked engine and a couple of panels that could not be restored. But hey-ho, it is still an important part of history. Donald Campbell was an extremely brave man, he knew he was taking a big risk but still went ahead.

The people doing the restoration and who ran Bluebird in Bute last year have done an amazing job, I seriously doubt that anyone could have done anything better and yet they have done the job on a shoestring and donations.

Sadly it has all taken a turn for the worse with a dispute over ownership between themselves and The Ruskin Museum in Coniston. They want it back and would like to wall it up inside their museum, never to be seen running again.

The Team say that if that happens it will deteriorate over time and it should spend 8 months a year in the museum and the rest with them where it can be run on the water and maintained in full running order and seen by people all over the country and beyond.

The museum were gifted the wreck.... which of course no longer exists but the Restoration Team went to great lengths to incorporate as much of the original into the restoration as possible. Bluebird as she is now is magnificent, probably in a better state than she has ever been at any time in history.

The other issue is that the Lake District National Park seem to take the view that, in the summer months at least, the Lake District is 'Full' and if Bluebird were to run in Coniston, it should only be mid week in winter in case it draws a big crowd. (I paraphrase slightly)

For the Resto Team, it must be gutting to have this world class attraction into which they have invested so much, owned in part by another body who have such limited ideas on the way forward.

I wish them every success. I am actually sorry that I paid money to visit the Ruskin before all this blew up. I'm afraid I don't harbour good wishes for them until they change their outlook.

Some good points made Stu and I agree.

What is really telling is that there was no reference to the restoration completion and runs in the Ruskin -and no information about it when I asked either

What would be nice is if a permanent site could be found on the edge of Coniston and occasional runs made winter and summer. It should definitely not be bricked up in the Ruskin museum now it is restored. I'd have thought a crowd funding project would attract enough funds to give overall ownership to the restorers(?)