Eureka moments

Former Member

Advert

I have two uses for petroleum jelly- Vaseline to you and me

When installing pin hinges, place a smear on the hinge knuckle and gently heat to melt the jelly into the hinge. This will stop glue from getting into the hinge.

If super glueing mylar or furry flat hinges in, place a gob of jelly either side of the hinge to prevent unwanted seepage down the gap.

To avoid cross threading a glow plug and damaging the cylinder head make one of these....

e0f3c81e-f90c-40cc-882b-f43ab9ecbf9a.jpeg

It’s an odd piece of small bore fuel tube and a servo disc. If the thread is crossed the fuel tube spins on the plug but the tube diameter is small enough to still grip.

I.C. engines: To get the holes in the right place when drilling into an engine mount, clamp the engine as firmly as possible to the mount and then get a drill-bit of the right size. Hold the drill-bit in mole grips (or similar) and heat the blunt end. . When suitably hot, lower the drill-bit down the engine's mounting holes and let it lightly touch the engine mount.. . This will melt the mount at exactly the right place for drilling.

Loads of favourite methods of mixing epoxy. Packet of cup cake cases (ask i/c Catering to acquire). Mix with coffee stirrers, free if you support your local filling station or maybe a quid to Sooty and whilst you're about it, a packet of diesel pump plastic gloves to keep it off your hands.

I use electronic scales for mixing epoxy, as I had a set for other reasons; I believe the Chinese are now knocking them out very cheaply indeed.

When gluing things together with epoxy, prepare the mating surfaces (rough sandpaper) and if possible warm them up. . If gluing into a chunky piece of plywood, drill several little holes (about 1.5mm diameter) in the areas to be glued for extra ingress of glue.

After applying the glue and bringing the items together, use a heat gun . . . the glue will turn to the consistency of water and it will penetrate all the nooks and crannies for a sturdy joint.

Posted by David Mellor on 21/08/2018 23:20:58:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/08/2018 22:26:17:

Strip the magnets out of dead motors, perfect for canopy attachment.

What is a dead motor?....... just use your half-propeller blade to mix some epoxy on your post-it note and stick the magnet back where it came from. Bingo.... no more dead motor. Done that a few times......

Dead motors are ones with blackened windings (not so common in recent years) or those where it's hard to get the soil out of the bent and mangled remains. Those are more common and don't seem to respond as well to sticking the magnets back in.

Posted by cymaz on 22/08/2018 06:03:23:

If , like me ,do you have difficulty getting the brass ferrules into servos? Slip them onto a short 2mm rod, then slide the ferrules down into the rubber grommets.

Edited By cymaz on 22/08/2018 06:04:51

I use a smalll jewellers screwdriver for this, pick one where the handle shoulder is bigger than the ferrule and use this to push the ferrule into the grommet.

Posted by Brian Cooper on 22/08/2018 08:59:38:

I.C. engines: To get the holes in the right place when drilling into an engine mount, clamp the engine as firmly as possible to the mount and then get a drill-bit of the right size. Hold the drill-bit in mole grips (or similar) and heat the blunt end. . When suitably hot, lower the drill-bit down the engine's mounting holes and let it lightly touch the engine mount.. . This will melt the mount at exactly the right place for drilling.

Glue the motor in place with superglue, then it doesn't move or have clamps in the way when you sort the holes positions out.

Posted by Don Fry on 22/08/2018 11:18:40:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 22/08/2018 08:59:38:

Glue the motor in place with superglue, then it doesn't move or have clamps in the way when you sort the holes positions out.

Variation on Brian's idea.
Grind a point on the shank end of the drill and that that way when you heat it up you won't affect the temper of the business end.
I have a small lathe so my points are turned from short lengths of brass rod with various sizes for a range of engines. My clamps have a habit of slipping so when the first hole is marked, I drill it and put a bolt in and then clamp up again. This greatly lessens the risk of a rogue hole.

Levanter

I use a yoghurt pot to drip clean engines,clocks and anything else that needs cleaning. I suspend the item on a string tied across the pot. Put petrol, thinners Acetone etc in the bottom.Put the lid on and wait.The fluid evaporates and then condenses on the surface of the grubby whatever then drips/runs off taking the dirt with it as a Trike tank Same principal. My dad did it to clean the workings of clocks etc. It's surprising how much dirt comes out of a clock's innards.yeslaugh If not working too well lift the lid a bit.Small pill / tablet bottles (plastic or glass) to hold small parts screws etc.are handy. Solvent can usefully be added here too .Give'em a shake now and then.Either method good for carbs Cast  cowls  on them( tapered  of course) Or cast cowl inside the pot. Release agent in it of course. A gentle squeeze effects release. If you can find a parallel sided pot in the same stuff that can be used for straight cowls..Knives ,scalpels etc can be stuck into a block of Styrene or Oasis . Keeps them from getting knocked off the bench and into a foot

Edited By onetenor on 22/08/2018 21:47:11

Edited By onetenor on 22/08/2018 21:58:22

When gluing two small objects together ( in this case the two halves of the screw top of a Tabasco Sauce bottle ) - place decent sized lump of Plasticene - warm for preference - on the bench, press one of the broken fragments into the Plasticene and apply cyano' to broken edge, then re-assemble using forceps/haemostats/tweezers other fragment which has previously sprayed with activator. You could equally well use a bit of BluTac - but Plasticene's cheaper if you have grandchildren.                       

For holding wire/small metal components a fly tying vice can be very useful, particularly if clamped to the edge of the bench, much more stable unless the base's weight exceeds a Kg!

Edited By Old Geezer on 26/08/2018 13:08:04

Edited By Old Geezer on 26/08/2018 13:09:33

A couple of days ago I took delivery of a Durafly Komet 163. Opened the box and no instructions. On inspecting the parts all the servo arms were inside the wings and fin. Found instructions on the web but only for the earlier version which appears to be one piece - mine needs the wings gluing in. Tried to see if possible to get the servos out to reposition the arms - no luck. Lightbulb moment, connect the Rx and magic the arms pop out. First time I've seen servos packed that way to protect the arms in transit.

John