Which Set Should I buy

Stearman65

I'm getting to the stage where I need to buy radio components for my Top Flite Stinson build & possible radio flight refresher with a warmliner.

I need a minimum of 8 channels, mode 1, good range of servos, & UK based service agent. What do you suggest?

My last set was in 2007, a JR 8 channel 35meg. I believe JR have gone to that lost manufacturer in the sky. I've had Futaba, Skyleader & Kraft & a few I can't remember in my past life.

I think I need to concentrate on one manufacturer & not mix & match. I need a range of servos from micro to heavy duty.

Suggestions please.

Advert

Hitec Aurora would probably suit you. J Perkins are the service agents because they sell the make. You can buy Model 1 or Mode 2.

Good range of servos and receivers Also a big range of telemetry if you want it.

I have one of these. You will find the setting up a bit more compliacated than the old JR set but you can get help from the Hitec website.

While I hate touch screens it is not a big problem and works.

I particulalry love the flap control, a lever at the rear sides (Take your choice which side lever you use) which is fully proportional and can be operted with a forefinger while still contolling the throttle (Mine is on the left side.)

You can allocate any switch to any function.

Hello Eric

I'm in a similar position to you. If budget comes into it, then I think Taranis (FrSky) is worth a look. Good range of Tx and Rx and you could still go with Hitec servos, hence, a minimal mix.

Not sure about service though - with 2.4 GHz gear most components are 'surface mount' ie non-serviceable (at least for me). So, it's straight-forward replacement if it goes wrong I suspect. Probably best to check on warranty for the Tx though.

Most of the flyers at my club use Taranis and report no known problems....I guess time will tell ! You can use something called "OpenTx" (firmware) which is fairly easy to set-up on your PC with a little familiarity. Plenty of help available on-line also.

Good luck

Dave

Posted by Steve J on 01/11/2018 11:32:39:
Posted by Eric Shepherd on 01/11/2018 10:31:44:

good range of servos

Why do you want to have your servos to have the same badge as your transmitter?

Anyway, to answer your questions, any of the 8+ channel transmitters from the main players would do. I suggest that you get down to the club and/or model shop and find something that works for you ergonometrically.

Steve

Edited By Steve J on 01/11/2018 11:33:45

Hi Steve

The nearest shop to me with a good advertised range, doesn't have them in stock. I haven't joined a club yet, so I'm floundering in the dark so to speak.

Posted by Dave Cooper 3 on 01/11/2018 11:48:53:

Hello Eric

I'm in a similar position to you. If budget comes into it, then I think Taranis (FrSky) is worth a look. Good range of Tx and Rx and you could still go with Hitec servos, hence, a minimal mix.

Not sure about service though - with 2.4 GHz gear most components are 'surface mount' ie non-serviceable (at least for me). So, it's straight-forward replacement if it goes wrong I suspect. Probably best to check on warranty for the Tx though.

Most of the flyers at my club use Taranis and report no known problems....I guess time will tell ! You can use something called "OpenTx" (firmware) which is fairly easy to set-up on your PC with a little familiarity. Plenty of help available on-line also.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's one I haven't heard of, led a sheltered life for the last 11 years.

Regards Ericthumbs up

Eric, I would seriously sound out a club. I don't believe there is much difference between makes. A good brand of servo is a good brand of servo.

But some transmitters will not sit well in your hand. The sticks feel funny. Have a feel first. And more to the point, it can be difficult to get your head round the arrays of menus, or programming protocols. Having a hands on helper is worth 10 pontificators on a forum when you are tearing your hair out ( if you still have some)

I'm with Dave on this one! The FrSky Taranis is well proven, and has amazing range. The OpenTx system is not the simplest to set up if you need anything special, but it is extraordinarily flexible! There's plenty of help and advice available on this forum, if you need it.

The biggest plus for the FrSky gear is the cheapness of the receivers! They are a fraction of the cost of those of the major players, making it very economical if you have more than one model. Despite the price, they have excellent performance. I've had dozens now, and only had one DOA, which was changed promptly by the importer.

Have a look here:

**LINK**

More expensive (and cheaper!) transmitters are also available in the range. Receivers typically cost in the £25 bracket from the same supplier.

--

Pete

My suggestion would be to find a club and join it before buying the radio. See what is in favour with the members, ask them about their choices and then buy whichever takes your fancy. This way you will have local assistance with anything you don't understand. With modern radio reliability this ready help probably counts for more than the brand name. Myself, I use and would recommend FrSky gear but it is probably less intuitive to set up than some, though I doubt any 8 channel set is completely without it's little idiosyncrasies.

As for servos - as has been pointed out, there's little to choose between the big brands. Savox servos have served me well, are reasonably priced and cover every size you are likely to need for now.

I don't see anything wrong with doing a little research which also involves finding out what others experience is and then making up your own mind. After all, Eric had never come across FrSky radio gear before and it's now widely used (including by me). I'd recommend Frsky - either Taranis or Horus - bought from a UK supplier, but I would think any modern radio equipment works well and is reliable.

There seems to ba a dearh of sad experts on this forum - so-called or otherwise (I probably score higher on the former)

Geoff

Posted by Anthony Wright 3 on 01/11/2018 16:21:20:

Hello I use frysky Exelent radio. It just annoys me that nobody can think for themselves anymore!

Would make forums very boring though.

As for the radio sets, they are all basically OK. My recent experience in programming other peoples radios with lower/mid end sets has been Spektrum Dx9, Futaba 6J (8 channels) and Multiplex Cockpit Sx9, the Sx9 is about the easiest to program, followed by the Spectrum and then Futaba, but all of them were quite straightforward. I've tried to help a couple of Open Tx users on the field but not being familiar with the system have not been able to help and the owners have had to go and resort to the internet for help.If you are in a club with an Open Tx expert then this wouldn't be an issue, but if you aren't then you'd need to invest some time on the internet looking at various tutorials etc.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 01/11/2018 16:45:00