Spektrum transmitter for a beginner

Luke A

Hi I’m looking for some help on choosing a Spektrum transmitter iv been looking at the dx6i, dx6 gen 2/3, dx7s and dx8. I have just started flying and have a RTF horizon hobby carbon cub s which comes with a 4ch Spektrum transmitter which I want to keep with the plain so I’m looking for a second transmitter to bind to other planes.

Any advice would be welcome.

Advert

Get the biggest newest one you can justify. Unless you’re even more uncoordinated than me, if you take to this fine excuse for repeated retail therapy you will be looking for capacity, model memory, features etc within a year.

I started off with an Apprentice with its Dx6. Mistake, within months I had a Dx9 which I still have. Use what the majority of the good, helpful fliers use at your club as every time there’s an IT malfunction you have the most likelihood of someone nailing it for you without wasting half the afternoon.

Then, turn your bold setting off.

Best of luck.

BTC

I went from DX 4e (first model) to DX8 gen 1 which has lasted +4 years (still going strong), but will upgrade very shortly to a DX8 gen 2. I can't justify the extra money for one more channel! and go for a DX9

Best avoid anything with a "e" on the end as they are stripped down functions.

Go for generation 2 or 3 versions of TX as there is more choice of new RX's (Spektrum, Lemon etc)

If money is tight, go for a generation 1 version that will do DMS2 and DSMX and you can pick a few cheap RX's up (but avoid the very inferior counterfeit versions - if it seems too cheap then it is).

PS My DX8 gen 1 is a bit light on functions compared with the DX8 gen 2 version.

Welcome aboard wink

As Chris alludes to, e Bay is awash with fake Spectrum receivers. They will tell you they are made with leftover production run parts.

They lie.

Be aware that second hand stuff is either good kit, owner has got bored, or grown out of it. Or is shifting on an untrusted transmitter.

I have a DX6E, which I use as a buddy box to teach friends kids to fly when they visit. It's a good transmitter. My transmitter is a DX9. A good transmitter.

Now I have planes which uses all the channels of the DX9. But the majority wold be good to go on the DX6E.

To my mind, I would go for a six channel unit, modern, trusted source. Whether it has voice, very nice, or not, is a detail.

I have been using the same DX7 since they first came out, i.e, the first Spektrums in the country.

IT works with both types of modulation. i.e DMS2 and DMSX.

I would say one thing. Uless you plan on building multi function scale models with every whistle and bell possible it is very unlikely that you will need more than 7 cahnnels for many a year. I can safeoy say that I havwe never needed more than seven channels (Actually I have only ever used 6)

By the time you are ready for more radios will probably have changed dramatically from what we use today.

I agree, 7 channels have always been enough for me. 2 for ailerons plus elevator, rudder and motor. That’s 5 and enough over for retracts etc. I have the original DX7 like Peter but mine is DSM2 only. Did you have yours modified Peter? I also have a Gen 2 DX7 which is just DSMX because it was bought after the EU stopped Spektrum importing DSM2 Tx’s. I must say that all my Spektrum gear has been reliable.

The only time you might need more channels is if you build/buy a model with retracts, flaps and separate aileron servos (some foamies like the FunCub have flap servos as mirror images and need a channel for each side - or a reverser)

I'm a Frsky user but a Spektrum transmitter might be useful if I ever bought an Eflite model with A3SX (or whatever the name is) stabilising receiver. Can the DSM2 transmitters be updated to work on DSMX economically or even at all?

Geoff

I think you should go for a DX7 or DX8 Gen2, and probably the latter. To start with 5 or 6 channels (Aileron, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, and Throttle) is probably enough, but most modellers graduate to more. On larger models, I now like to have two independent elevator channels, and then many scale models have flaps and undercarriage - that brings you up to eight channels. A good transmitter should last you five or more years, across many models, so it's a pretty good value proposition. Also, as others have said, don't be tempted by cheap "imitation" receivers - it's not worth risking good models with those.

Posted by Dave Hess on 07/11/2018 00:38:49:

You don't need to buy fake Spektrum receivers from Ebay when you can buy genuine Orange DSMX ones from Hobbyking for £4.50.

Very true, or spend a few quid more and get Orange telemetry receivers. And that has to be with the money just to measure the quality of the link between trannies and plane with your installation solution.

Posted by buster prop on 06/11/2018 22:12:03:

I agree, 7 channels have always been enough for me. 2 for ailerons plus elevator, rudder and motor. That’s 5 and enough over for retracts etc. I have the original DX7 like Peter but mine is DSM2 only. Did you have yours modified Peter? I also have a Gen 2 DX7 which is just DSMX because it was bought after the EU stopped Spektrum importing DSM2 Tx’s. I must say that all my Spektrum gear has been reliable.

No, I did not have mine modified. I only found out by accident when two frineds gave me their foamies, a Sport Cub (I think that is E Flite) and an SE5a (I am pretty sure that is Flite but happy to be corrected) and my transmitter worked with both of them.

If you wish to keep the cub as its own package then there is nothing to stop you looking at other brands of radio. If you already have a bunch of spektrum gear then clearly its not viable but if not and you are starting from scratch you might want to at least look at the other options just so you have the full picture.

If you do stick with spektrum follow the advice here to avoid fake rx's and make sure you always use at least 5v to prevent brownouts (radio, not trousers. Additional voltage will not help the latter) as spektrum rx's are sensitive to low voltage.

Posted by David P Williams on 07/11/2018 08:17:21:

Isn't that just because the RXs will work in DSM2 as well as DSMX? The early DX7 (I have one also) was definitely DSM2 only.

That is possibly the answer.The point then is that the receivers will work on both so, again,no problem.

Also, I have run up to six standard servos on the usual 4 cell battery. Never ha d a brown out problem

Posted by Peter Miller on 07/11/2018 11:38:11:
Posted by David P Williams on 07/11/2018 08:17:21:

Isn't that just because the RXs will work in DSM2 as well as DSMX? The early DX7 (I have one also) was definitely DSM2 only.

That is possibly the answer.The point then is that the receivers will work on both so, again,no problem.

Also, I have run up to six standard servos on the usual 4 cell battery. Never ha d a brown out problem

I Have an original DSM2 DX7 from 2012 and yes, it will (and does) work perfectly well with DSMX receivers. I do notice that it takes a little longer to link to DSMX as opposed to DSM2 only, receivers, on power up - probably just the protocols sorting themselves out.

I have a DX8 G2 which I'm also very happy with. Do beware some of the 8010 eight channel receivers, as the older version with a pre 2016 date on the slightly different packaging to the latest ones, will only work with digital servos and are unable to drive ordinary analogues correctly (frame rate). One of the big model shops did address this in their advertisng that I saw recently (can't remember which). I exchanged the early version that came with my combo and it works fine with everything. 

Edited By Cuban8 on 07/11/2018 12:20:38

Be aware DSM2 is an out of date protocol that is no longer allowed to be sold new in the EU.

I understand DSM2 just checks for 2 free channels at switch on and then simply hops between them. DSMX on the other hand is a real time channel hopper that also checks the next channel is free before swapping.

DSM2 works fine in the "quiet" environment where I fly but at a busy "fly in" site it ran into loss of control trouble on 3 separate occasions. My planes that used DSMX versions of the same rx (my DX6i tx works both) had no problem.

Posted by Luke A on 06/11/2018 21:48:01:

Great thanks for all your advice and help, it has given me some good options. The dx7 looks like a good buy seems to cover all bases, now got to find one for sale. Failing that the dx8 gen 1 looks a good buy too

I've got DX7 G2, which has been absolutely fine for me - using 5 channels for power (up to six/seven if I ever get a model with retracts and flaps), and 4 channels for slope and thermal soaring (up to six if I ever a build a model with separate flaps). This is now discontinued in favour of the DX6 G3 and DX8 G2, the former being £120 less dear than the latter and more than likely to last you a decent length of time given that you're just starting out...?

Posted by DaveyP on 07/11/2018 11:03:26:

My models use Spektrum rx's and I use 4.8v batteries, never had a problem.

They will work down to 3.5v but I wouldn't send one airborne with a voltage less than 4.0v

Same here for my power models and slope-soarers all using 4.8v NiMh batts. But for my DLG flying, I've switched to Lemon receivers which are fine for 1s LiPo batteries.

"Why does a throttle disable switch take up a channel? "

I have a DX6i.

It came with a push button throttle kill switch. Intended to stop a glow motor, but presumably, not to disable the stick for electric.

However if you hold the button, it will do this task.

If you swap the button for a toggle switch, it works as a throttle disable. This does, however, require a five minute solder job and a switch costing a few pence.

I would be surprised if the newer lower end TXs were much different.

The fancier TXs probably have a programmable switch that could do the job.

"you can buy genuine Orange DSMX ones from Hobbyking for £4.50"

Which model is £4.50?

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 07/11/2018 12:09:43:

Be aware DSM2 is an out of date protocol that is no longer allowed to be sold new in the EU.

I understand DSM2 just checks for 2 free channels at switch on and then simply hops between them. DSMX on the other hand is a real time channel hopper that also checks the next channel is free before swapping.

DSM2 works fine in the "quiet" environment where I fly but at a busy "fly in" site it ran into loss of control trouble on 3 separate occasions. My planes that used DSMX versions of the same rx (my DX6i tx works both) had no problem.

I've flown at busy sites and fly-ins with no issue at all on DSM2. I think you'll find it's a little more sophisticated than simply switching between two free channels, narrow band style. Bruce at RC Model reviews did cover this some time ago and it's quite interesting. I'll post his vid if I can find it.

https://youtu.be/aZGcyuezMik

Edited By Cuban8 on 07/11/2018 12:38:32