club drone ban

rcaddict

Advert

I fly drones I also fly rc planes, instead why don’t you and your club support the local drone community and offer free training with the responsibilities that go with it as suggested by the CAA packs are available on line if you had bothered to look it might also be a revenue kick starter for what I think modellers and flying clubs need there's more to this hobby and we are not getting any younger.

Yes I do consider that those responsible should know better and I don’t condone it, you can legislate all you want it only takes one irresponsible person to cause mayhem I believe there was malicious intent with the last episode and it just goes to show how easy it is to cause havoc in the sky's. legislation and technology are already there it needs to be enforced to stop irresponsible flyers.

Banning drones is not the answer educate, educate educate. or try flying a drone and take some photos.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 08/01/2019 09:17:49

Posted by oldgit on 07/01/2019 22:38:11:

just wondering if it would be a good idea to ban drones from our club to avoid unwanted interest from the authorities in light of the recent announcements

In a word NO.

Firstly, as already pointed out, model aircraft are classed as drones so you probably mean quad copters. However, fixed wing aircraft with cameras fitted are also classed separately from non-camera equipped aircraft. Sticking a Go Pro on your bog standard club aircraft puts it in the same league as a quad copter with camera. This is separate from FPV equipped aircraft.

The BMFA has a special interest group covering FPV racing and its stance is to encourage Clubs to welcome "drone" fliers. Clubs that have done this have found, as pointed out above, that their membership rises and that some "drone" pilots then become interested in the other aspects of RC flight.

As regards getting new "drone" pilots up to A Cert, all Club Examiners are allowed to administer any A test. They will need to read and understand what the test is about and find out about issues that are peculiar to quad copters. This is no different for a FW Examiner carrying out a Heli A test. If as an Examiner you are not prepared to do that then you are not fulfilling all your role.

Hi Drones or quadcopters have possibly opened up a hobby, which frankly is dying, to a whole new group of people and with models which are possibly more suited to our little island which is getting more houses all the time. I can see a parallel here with the CB craze of the 70s. There was a number of radio amateurs who had a very arrogant and snobbish attitude to CB operators. Sure it was a dogs dinner at the start with all the issues and anti social behaviour of a few CBers. The craze died down and a large number of the previously illegal operators had the introduction to amateur and joined the Ham fraternity and gave it the shot in the arm the hobby and the trade needed. So many of us remember there was an LMS in every town with the scale spitfire hanging up which inspired new comers . Where is that introduction to come from now. Shun the quad and kill the hobby

My club does not accept new drone flyers. We have taken that stance since the word go, as we feel that as an aeromodelling club, flying photography from a multi rotor doesn't fit in. Drones have had, and continue to have a bad reputation (mostly undeserved, although with some spectacular idiocies) and having an increasing number of them on our field risks, drawing attention to ourselves and worrying our landlords. We have a few members flying drone racers away from the main patch, but they remain at low level and are not a nuisance to anyone. The novelty is wearing a bit thin though, as it's just about racing, so does get a bit boring.

Thankfully, many people can tell the difference between the hobbies, both users and officialdom.

Are quads really in the same class as " rc aircraft" ?

"rc aircraft" look like "actual" things. they can be flown scale like or acro, you take the risk of crashing on take off and landing pretty much every time, no "gyro/stabilizing" . Then the building of the model,not so much now ,granted. To me that is RC flying/modelling.

Would the main RC shows get the attendance if only quads were there flying?????

Perhaps quads should have separate clubs, a fair few clubs don't allow helis and that never really caused issues.

Just my opinion

Edited By Gary Murphy 1 on 08/01/2019 10:05:02

At Medway MFC we welcome new drone flyers or any flying discipline apart from turbine powered models . We are still a mainly fixed wing club an all get along fine . What hs happend is that drone or should I say multi-rotor pilots often get bored with flying them and take up fixed wing flying in one form or another. As drone pilots are often of a younger age group it's a way of getting younger blood into the hobby and keeping the club active . Never turn down a newbie to the hobby , it needs them.

club drone ban.... teeth 2 there's a title to bring the thread and forum to its knee's Again.....

the drones don't need banning..all of the people who purchase them and start to fly them where and as they see fit...regardless of any reg's that are in force are the one's who need banning etc...

we (abiding model flyers) are the ones who are going to suffer for the wasters...and like it or not we have to go along with the rules that are brought in.

I think that a flyer who is a member of the recognized associations.... could easily display his membership number on his/her models.... as a means for he authorities to trace any silly people...

ken anderson..... ne...1......the drone dept

Ken is about right. I have gone through it in France, and apart from getting annoyed that I need to know France's privacy laws (stricter than UK), and write a number on a (hidden if wanted) but easily accessible part of the aircraft, and stuffed some paper in the flight box, life goes on for the moment.

Your biggest problem, long term, is the very low weight limit allowed without testing the operator, which will put a headwind in the face of any youngster messing about with small flying objects, drying up future replacements to us lot when we fall off the perch.

Engine doctor. I totally agree with you. The recent age survey on this very forum together with a walk round the Nats this year indicate that we are all “old gits”. So we talk of the future of the hobby but we must ask ourselves do we care for the future ongoing or just the 10 or so years we wish to continue doing what we have always done. If it’s the former then we must ask how are people even going to get that introduction. Maybe the quad is the lifeline. Someone mentioned shows well will there be any when the existing band of modellers move on. So surely it’s not simply the case of banning and shunning things but if we want what we do to continue for future generations then those who do have to do something positive