Model Transport

Chris North 3

I am currently living inner city (outside of the UK) without access to a car and as such need to use a taxi / Uber or public transport to get to the flying field.

My fleet is all electric and I have a couple of foamies with one piece detachable wings (a FMS SuperEZ) as well as a balsa plane with a 1m wingspan and fixed wing (Lindsay Todd's Batty).

I was wondering what others do to transport planes to the flying field when you don't have access to a car and have to man handle the planes and support kit.

I have seen some trunk like suitcases that could possibly be put to use or perhaps a deep long case such as for transporting rifles

Any ideas would be appreciated

Advert

How about some delta wings, light, tough and don't need much assembly just tie together and carry in one hand with the TX/batteries in the other.

For normal models I would have thought the need to detach the vertical stabiliser/rudder or horizontal/elevator to get it in a box, more hassle.

20160114_201729.jpgAlternatively a funfighter, tough balsa kit, leave assembled and just carry complete.

20170201_220001.jpg

Nice one SR 71, wings, on and you will be flying to the field, but the OP doesn't have a car!

Edited By Chris Walby on 18/01/2019 06:33:04

I think something like making a Corex box with Duck tape, and a bit of lightweight wood reinforcement will transport a plane safely. Then all the auxiliary kit can go in a plastic toolbox.

Corex is the corrugated plastic sheet estate agents use for their signs. Can get it off e Bay, or the printers who do estate agents signs if nice to them.

Back in my days in the RAF I regulalry used to carry complete controlliners on the train. This included regular trips from Cornwall up to Essex.

One piece models around 50" span where no problem really.

The only irritating thing was the constant comment "Why don't you get in it and fly there?" Wish I had a pound for every time I heard that!!

A few decades ago I was student at Imperial College, London and flew thermal soarers in Richmond Park. I built a plywood carry box (I still have it) that allowed me to travel there by tube and bus. Transmitter and towlines etc. were carried in a rucksack.

I built my gliders with plug in tailplanes before it was the norm so they would fit in the carry box.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the wingspan of course, a padded gun bag can be an economical and practical solution.

I used to transport a 58in span e-glider in my suitcase. I built a lightweight ply box to protect it from damage whilst in transit. That little glider was flown in LA, Hong Kong, Cape Town and Narita, Japan to name just a few. I also built a Zagi with a two piece wing, carbon tube wing joiners and removable tip fins held on with Velcro. I just made wing-bags for that out of bubblewrap to protect it, and a sports bag for carrying on the train/bus in Hong Kong.