Favourite Non Scale Sport Bipe?

Advert

OK it's sport scale rather than sport, but my favourite was the DB Sopwith Pup. The small one for .15 engines. Mine was redesigned slightly and built as a dove - needs the plan re-drawing but can be built from the same components, just like the full size. no pix I'm afraid but it was my regular hack for about two years back in the late seventies. Never put a foot wrong!

There is a version of the Mannock which is styled to be 'German' called Richtofen. Plans are available from DB Sport & Scale like the Mannock, Tinker etc. All Boddington designs of course.

The Aeromaster plan is on Outerzone.

There is a Sopwith Dove plan by Boddington that was a free plan with Scale Aircraft Special 1984 to save anybody modifying the Pup plan.   I believe the Dove might be same size as Boddo's .15 Pup

Edited By kc on 08/02/2019 10:57:48

Edited By kc on 08/02/2019 11:10:01

"The Aeromaster plan is on Outerzone."

Might be worth mentioning;

The Aeromaster Too (bigger span) wing only plan.

The Super Aeromaster plan (the later GP version, I think includes several wing sizes and shapes).

The Aeromistress (simplified veneered foam & ply version).

The Airmeister (a simplified construction 42" version for 0.40)

I've been thinking of doing an Aeromaster of some description for a while, I have this lovely 90 four stroke that would go in it. Or a scale up my BiFly 25 - both airplanes are very, very similar. Too many projects, too little time.

Posted by Chris Walby on 08/02/2019 12:51:04:

Another Wots Wot

Not flown any other bi-planes, but it seems nice enough with electric with no unwanted traits. Rather lively with the 3 turn spin on the first go, but after a cup of tea I am okay now!

20170417_144024_1492535997091.jpg

I really enjoy my TT75 powered version. Like all CF designs, it flatters my flying!

This photo of the Renegade cabane structure shows the construction from ply. The cross pieces are tapped to take the 4 wing bolts. After tapping the threads were hardened with thin cyano and a steel bolt was screwed in to clean up the thread before the nylon wing bolts were used.

The cabane is shown in slightly damaged form after a crash, the glue joints gave way on i side. If i built another or repaired this I would put a twist of wire through to reinforce. After many hundreds of flights my Renegade is retired oil soaked!

This type of cabane could be used on most biplanes with some thought at an early stage. However I suggest a simple bent alloy strip as used on Barnstormer etc as a simple way too. Bending the alloy strip from B&Q was easier than I expected, and far easier than piano wire structures ( to me )

1-img_0818.jpg

Posted by Percy Verance on 08/02/2019 14:19:19:

It's a nice flyer and a superb build Robert, but not all that old as a design. It is of course simply the Astro Hog (which is old) with a top wing added. Without a doubt the Hog Bipe is one of the nicer Sig kits yes There are quite a few mods on various sites too Robert if you search around. The popular mods seem to be moving the undercarriage forward about 1/2 an inch to prevent nose-overs while taxiing. Another mod worth thinking about is an access hatch just forward of the cabane struts for the fuel tank. The tank is a pig to get out otherwise. Oh, and there's a quick release mod for the wing struts too, but I can't recall the details, sorry.

Lots of Hog Bipe pics plus mods here Robert..... http://www.fubarhill.com/sighog.html

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/02/2019 14:26:37

Thanks Percy.