Favourite Non Scale Sport Bipe?

Posted by Percy Verance on 08/02/2019 16:29:21:

With respect they're hardly sport biplanes are they? More like F3a jobs with an extra wing.........

I was speaking to one of our F3A flyers in Wed evening at our indoor session. He's just bought a new biplane airframe for next season - £2,600 unpainted! A bit out of my price range but I look forward to seeing it. I guess it counts as a non-scale sport bipe.

Geoff

Advert

"Looking at the thread from the start may provide the answer Duncan............."

Percy, Percy frown

Aeromaster, entered into pattern contests by original designer.

Hog Bipe, Astro Hog was a pattern model way back when.

Bi Fly is a clone of the Aeromaster, give or take.

Are they out as well?

Let the sport flyers with pattern models off the hook eh?

Posted by Percy Verance on 08/02/2019 17:40:09:

Whatever floats his boat Geoff......

There is a cycle warehdouse a few miles up the road from me, right at the point where you enter the Lake District National Park (now a World Heritage Site of course) and he's banging £5000 mountain bikes out willy nilly. He's rushed off his feet I hear........

Trouble is Geoff, he'll be well brassed off if he's pipped at the winning post by the bloke who paid £2650 for his artf........

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/02/2019 17:40:26

I know the shop, I think. If I was as fit as I was 30 years ago I''d be in the market for £5k bikes too but I'm not so I'm not

You're right about how obsessed F3A competitors are. We have number in our club and the guy who's just bought the bipe is good but nowhere near the best. He obviously enjoys it and has the disposable income to support his passion. Good luck to him.

Geoff

I have had lots of fun with my Bowden Mouse over the years, its grown on me! the purists will no doubt shoot it down as a vintage model. Here it is a few years ago plodding around the sky, Saito 40 up front

As a few others have suggested the multiplex Gemini is a great modern light weight aerobat, I don't have a photo of mine as it met its end in a midair.

My biplanes have mostly resembled full size e.g. Stearman, Pitts, Gypsy Moth, Flair Nieuport, Pup(peteer) and a very loosely 12th scale Hillson F40 (slip wing biplane based on the Hurricane for "one shot" ship defence) which was launched as a biplane and crashed as a monoplane after releasing the slip wing along he way - which was one up on the real thing which never jettisoned the top wing in anger...

So my only qualifying (and therefore by definition favourite) sport biplane is my Panic, (probably the tattiest looking airworthy model in the country!) with an OS 91FX at the noisy end which provides an instant grin factor whenever I've got enough elastic bands and dare to face the ridicule when I produce it at the field!

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/02/2019 23:39:37

Well I have a GP super aeromaster and Sig skybolt kits waiting in the wings (ouch) but two of my favourites are the

Fair Puppeteer

BUSA Phaeton II

made in early '90's here fitted with a 60 two stroke then later OS 70 fs did a lovely tail slide and would flick roll frorm knife edge too knife edge,sometimes you could get 1 1/2 flicks !surprise

• 2 weeks later...