RCM&E Fly-In 2019 - general chatter

I wanted to start a thread where folks can discuss the fly-in, ask questions etc.

The new homepage piece here has more info.

It's at BMFA Buckminster, Lincolnshire 13-15 Sept. Camping on the Friday from 5pm.

• Camp Friday night from 5pm (please pre-book with BMFA)
  • Relaxed off-the-peg flying all weekend (no slots or display teams).
  • Food van.
  • Indoor flying in the evening.
  • Evening bar.
  • Flyers must have an A-certificate (min).
  • Renaissance Mass Build meet and fly.
  • Usual Buckminster daily flying fee (£8).
  • Flying from 10am till 6pm. 

There are a few details we need to cover with the BMFA but, hopefully, everything is there to help you plan a visit for one or both days.

Our intention is to follow the relaxed format pioneered by the Greenacres club but without flying or display slots. It'll be 'off-the-peg' all weekend.

Bring your plan build models, own-designs, ARTFs ... whatever. Not forgetting the Renaissance Mass Build models too. 

Graham and I look forward to seeing everyone over the weekend, and having a fly!

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 21/03/2019 15:58:00

If I bring down a large biplane for the weekend will there be anywhere to leave rigged models overnight on the Saturday, or will these need to go back in the car overnight. I had also heard Barkston was installing power for charging for flight batteries, any idea if this is true.

Posted by PeterF on 21/03/2019 16:48:39:

If I bring down a large biplane for the weekend will there be anywhere to leave rigged models overnight on the Saturday, or will these need to go back in the car overnight.

There is a large "hangar", with a generous supply of 13 amp sockets, where you can leave models rigged. The only security is the doors being locked and CCTV, but it is a fairly isolated location.

I left my models there overnight when I attended the retro meet last year, as did several competitors at the Euro Heli series contest.

--

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to attend and fly, however, whilst I am a BMFA member (and RCM&E subscriber), I am not a member of a club and consequently have no A cert. Therefore despite my many years of flying experience, and exemplary safety record, I would be excluded from participating. sad

No doubt there are many other people around the country who will be similarly excluded,

Really disappointing.

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/03/2019 14:05:59:

Never been, what sort of number will the N.C hold re camping ? does it have strict noise limit ?

From what I remember from my abortive attempt to compete in a flying only comp last year there's a very big camping field but with no hook-up. However I think there'll be adequate recharging power available from mains outlets in a big hall.

I think I can persuade my life's partner to attend provided we bring her bike as well so she can go for a ride in the local lanes. I'm provisionally in.

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony, overseas visitors are very welcome.  just a case of making sure your flying insurance covers you in the UK. It’s best to drop the BMFA an email in that respect if in doubt. As for the A cert, do you have an equivalent from where you’re from ?

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 18/06/2019 07:50:47

I am a BMFA Country Member who has 40 years RC experience - but no formal A Certificate.

It appears that the BMFA Centre does not stipulate an A Cert is required to fly there. You can guess my next question...

The RCME event stipulates I need an A Cert to fly. I'd love to come along and take part - is there anyway this could be accommodated? Would someone be willing to stand next to me while I fly?

Just wondering... laugh

No certificate as such David, just a lapel wing pin similar to the RAF wings after I qualified.  Our governing body MAAC does not have a national requirement , it is mostly province/club based but that may change in the future, right now we have an exemption from some very stringent rules brought in by transport Canada but you must be a member of MAAC to fall under that exemption, therefore clubs are very diligent about training and qualifying new members as none wish to lose their MAAC standing.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 20/06/2019 19:10:27

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 20/06/2019 20:00:18:

FilmBuff - Graham has been talking to the BMFA so I've asked him to clarify. Hopefully I'll be back shortly.

Tony - Likewise. Be great to see you if you're crossing the pond of course.

David.

Thanks David - I'll look out for the response.

Ok. The A-cert stipulation is the mag's, really on the basis of ensuring that good basic flying standards prevail over the weekend. Not implying anything of course FilmBuff.

We'll have a chat with the lads organising the flight line for us and see if they're happy to accommodate those without, perhaps by standing with the flyer for the first flight or two in order to check basic flying competence. I'll report back when I know a little more.

Of course, there's time to get a 'A' before the day wink

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 21/06/2019 10:08:04