CAA registration consulation

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to Martin that many of those posting are doing so in order to encourage debate and participation in the responses?

I can assure him that a good number of my fellow club members have responded to my, and the BMFA's requests to participate in the consultation and emails.  It was a major topic of conversation at the field yesterday.

I have to admit that after making my views clear during the EASA consultation a couple of years ago, I checked out the survey that Steve referred to and, perhaps wrongly, felt it was aimed at manufacturers of quadcopter type drones and SUAS activities and not relevant to model flying so I was not one of the 213. It was not because I couldn't be bothered to respond.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/05/2019 16:48:41

Posted by Steve J on 03/05/2019 14:52:29:

aka "The consultation that only 213 modellers bothered to respond to".

Steve

Also the document that says "The Government will work with model aircraft flying clubs to examine ways in which it may be possible to exempt members of model aircraft flying clubs with adequate safety cultures and practices from certain elements of registration and other educational requirements, or where their club will be permitted to undertake regulatory requirements on their behalf."

Posted by Martin Harris on 03/05/2019 16:37:49:

I can assure him that a good number of my fellow club members have responded to my, and the BMFA's requests to participate in the consultation and emails. It was a major topic of conversation at the field yesterday.

Glad to hear it. The more the merrier. A question that some may think worth including in their letters to the CAA and ministers. The government often emphasises their policy of 'the user pays'. Exactly what is the user paying for with the proposed £16.50 registration fee? Air? Having his name put on a database??

Posted by Steve J on 03/05/2019 17:07:08:
Posted by Martin Dilly 1 on 03/05/2019 14:50:52:

written to the Minister for Aviation [email protected]

I am starting to feel sorry for Baroness Vere. She only became Aviation Minister on the 23rd April. It appears that Baroness Sugg left a live grenade on her desk when she departed for International Development.

Steve

Her career choice, as that wonderful advert went.

Just been chatting to my best model flying mate down at the pub. He had heard a whisper somewhere about this lot but owns neither a smart phone nor a PC and never intends to do so. So how does the government intend to contact people like him? Send a letter to every household in the land to see if they have a toy plane hidden in the loft? They could all be fined £1000 even if they just start up the motor to scare off the rats up there because they could accidentally let go of it, in which case they would be flying it illegally. (All of this above nonsense with tongue in cheek of course).

Keep up the good work and keep the pressure on!!

**LINK**

We would like to thank all members who have responded to the CAA consultation at **LINK** and who have written to the Aviation Minister, CAA CEO and your local MPs’

Yesterday (3/5/2019), the BMFA's CEO has been contacted and asked to attend a meeting with the Aviation Minister, Baroness Vere of Norbiton.

This has come about directly because of YOUR reaction to the CAA's proposal, completing the consultation and emailing the CAA, Aviation Minister and your MP.

YOU HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Whilst this is a positive step, we cannot stop the pressure that is being applied, the fight must and will continue.

If you have yet to complete the CAA consultation, email the CAA, DfT or your local MP, please take a few minutes this weekend and give them your views of the proposal. See UK Model Flyers - Call to Action for contact details and relevant information.

Every response to the consultation and every letter helps in this battle against pointless and unnecessary regulation. We must keep the pressure on.

Many thanks for your support.

That's a promising start, Andy! I've circulated that to all our club members (after circulating them the original announcement last week.)

I've also seen links to a petition on change.org - https://www.change.org/p/caa-bmfa-members-to-be-exempt-from-the-charge-proposal-for-uk-drone-registration-scheme

What are your thoughts on this? Should we be encouraging people to sign that too?

Posted by John Privett on 04/05/2019 10:57:18:

That's a promising start, Andy! I've circulated that to all our club members (after circulating them the original announcement last week.)

I've also seen links to a petition on change.org - https://www.change.org/p/caa-bmfa-members-to-be-exempt-from-the-charge-proposal-for-uk-drone-registration-scheme

What are your thoughts on this? Should we be encouraging people to sign that too?

The petition in question is certainly not official in any way, however it is a personal matter as to whether you support it.

We already have routes for asking the Government questions through the APPG for General Aviation (**LINK**). There is a meeting with them on Friday.

The danger with petitions is that experience suggests that people sign them and feel they’ve done their bit. They all then receive the same standard response at the push of a button. The Government love them!

Writing in individually creates for more irritation and aggravation because they actually have to do something and that’s why we’ve taken the course we have. The CAA’s CEO and Aviation Minister will be having their inboxes filled with emails from our members hopefully, so it will be create far more impact than a petition which they may not even see.

We may consider a petition at some stage, but our view is that at this point it would dilute and undermine what we are trying to achieve.

(response unshamefully plagiarised from an email response by the CEO to the same question that I wholeheratedly agree with)

Have sent Emails to Baroness Vere / My MP / Richard Moriarty CAA, received auto reply from DFT almost by return and will get a full reply in under 20 days. I feel, to do any other approach would only duplicate what I have already actioned.smiley Bobby

Posted by Cliff Bastow on 04/05/2019 14:06:19:

I know the BMFA comes in for a lot of stick but I think we all have to back them on this issue.

I agree.

I've written to all of the required recipients, although Baroness Vere and Richard Moriarty both got real letters sent via recorded delivery because i think that has a bit more impact.

A.

I have returned the questionnaire to the CAA, confining myself just to answering questions 5,6,and 7 without any rants. I have also written (by email) to Baroness Vere re-iterating my concerns and expanding them to explain how model flying is such a worthwhile activity and that many professionals in the aerospace industry are, or have been aeromodellers. I don't know how interested she will be in all this, from her web page she seems more concerned about female equality. I used bits of a previous letter I wrote to the the previous Aviation Minister back in 2017 in response to another BMFA request. Let's hope all our efforts have some effect..