25mm dia nut and bolt

Gary Murphy 1

Advert

The 20+ mm nut and bolt is/was for the build of my Tomboy senior.

Sorry to let you down BUT it was to aid the bending of the 3.2mm wire undercarriage! i Just can not bend that thick a wire using a vice. The bends are not sharp and ends up out of line etc, wasted 4 pieces of wire so far,LHS has no more!

Can not justify buying a £40 bender and then I will have to lean to use that. So looking on youtube I see a vid of a guy cutting a "large dia nut and bolt" in a way that looks like a K+S style bender. It really bent on the vid good,not sure if it was piano wire?

If anyone is still awake OR interested : ) I found a 15mm good quality nut and bolt to try with. 1st step haves you drill through nut and bolt with 3mm drill. I thought I had good quality metal bits, can not be the case, 3 broken and 2 melted bits later I have a hole apx 3mm deep!!!!!!!!!!!! I am using a power hand drill in my defence.

I have given up and the best I can/have done is to make a undercarriage from 2 separate pieces that are the same shape and size. I know this will give probs regards twisting BUT I will ask for ideas on relevant section here.

hope this may of interested AND amused some,this wire is a bloody nightmare,i reckon "iron mans" suit is made from this

The cheapest source for such nuts and bolts is likely to be an old washing machine etc. The bolts that hold the motor seem likely to be what you need. Of course if you just threw away the old washing m/c or dishwasher without stripping off ( = recycling ) the good parts like nuts bolts screws,brackets and miles of wire with connectors for your flight box then you are out of luck so ask around! People throw this sort of stuff away too easily now. The farm where I fly has loads of old machinery dumped around!

Drilling needs sharp drills , correct speed ( probably lower than you used ), steady pressure and some lubrication for cooling.  if you don't have a pillar drill ask around your club members to see if someone has one and of course a machine vice to hold the item safely.  

Edited By kc on 31/05/2019 12:08:33

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 31/05/2019 10:33:20:

The 20+ mm nut and bolt is/was for the build of my Tomboy senior.

Sorry to let you down BUT it was to aid the bending of the 3.2mm wire undercarriage! i Just can not bend that thick a wire using a vice. The bends are not sharp and ends up out of line etc, wasted 4 pieces of wire so far,LHS has no more!

Can not justify buying a £40 bender and then I will have to lean to use that. So looking on youtube I see a vid of a guy cutting a "large dia nut and bolt" in a way that looks like a K+S style bender. It really bent on the vid good,not sure if it was piano wire?

If anyone is still awake OR interested : ) I found a 15mm good quality nut and bolt to try with. 1st step haves you drill through nut and bolt with 3mm drill. I thought I had good quality metal bits, can not be the case, 3 broken and 2 melted bits later I have a hole apx 3mm deep!!!!!!!!!!!! I am using a power hand drill in my defence.

I have given up and the best I can/have done is to make a undercarriage from 2 separate pieces that are the same shape and size. I know this will give probs regards twisting BUT I will ask for ideas on relevant section here.

hope this may of interested AND amused some,this wire is a bloody nightmare,i reckon "iron mans" suit is made from this

Instead of making the UC wire in one piece it could be done in two simpler pieces using a vice, pliers & hammer. Apart from being easier, advantages are : the torque rod action is more resilient to heavy landings & if it gets bent in use easier to bend back or even swap the two parts around.

As fitted to my Veron Deacon & Robot :

10_nose_blocked.jpg

Here's the Deacon being built, just above the black box is a piece of ply between the longerons with a beech block glued on top.

11_wheel_fixing.jpg

Two identical wire legs fit into holes drilled in ply & beech block.

Legs on the Robot being held in place with plastic saddles.

Not shown, the saddles on the Deacon are similar but were home made from soft aluminium cable clamps.

Wire legs of the Robot are 10 SWG [3.25mm] those on the Deacon are 12 SWG [2.64mm]. I think that the wire size of the Deacon would be adequate for the Tomboy Senior as it's about the same size (52" span) & (weight 760g). OTOH the Robot's 1400g.