Aldi

Martian

Advert

There you go Flyer, show her Doc's link.

The only thing I find with these, and they are all the same, is the Velcro disc system is not reliable, as it parts from the alloy disc. Easiest solution, buy paper backed sanding discs, and glue them on with contact adhesive. Less hassle long term, and cheaper too.

• 1 month later...

I use the disc for squaring up and the belt for free form shapes. Although on my (bigger/heavier/more expensive) machine there is a removable fence that gives a right angle stop for the belt, but I never use it.

To say a belt without a table (or fence) is useless shows a lack of modelmaking usage in my view. I squared up a block of Ureol on the disc and switched to the belt to make all the curved, more freeform shapes of a DH nose cowl. Finishing with files and a bit of 240 grit Aluminium Hydroxide paper.

I also used the belt (sans fence) for making the 4 wings for a DH 89a master pattern in 1/32nd scale and glider wings in Perspex for both a 1/72nd scale and 1/48th scale master patterns for a Grob. Canopy and nose section vac form patterns in Ureol for my Skystreak 32 as well. The possibilities (as that comic says) are endless.

My combined disc/belt machine would be of little use to me without the belt. Because of space restrictions, I have to store mine on the floor and lug it outside onto the Workmate to use it and by Heavens it's a heavy devil! And there's precious little to lift it with. But Hey, we struggle for our craft, don't we? Oh! (Click), there goes me back again.

Martin