All weather flyer.

Michael Barclay

Advert

I once had a book of kite builds. I built a sledge sort of thing from builders plastic, parcel tape, and reinforced tape, strutted with glassfibre. Down to the park, I launched it. I was fit in those days, just 13 stone.

It took me off my feet, quickly accelerated me across the grass, and I hit a small tree, and let go. It crossed a road, a railway, and came down in a factory. Muddy individual asked security, "can I have my kit back mister".

When the trees are bending at 45deg and the rain and hail are drumming at the window the best thing to fly is an armchair by the fire.

Otherwise, one of the 'plastic' planes by ARC/Thunder Tiger(got both from when I ventured forth in colder weather) like the 'Ready 2' or the bigger 'Cessna' if you can find one. Unaffected by any amount of moisture, towards the heavy side for size, tricycle UC, side mounted engine so exhaust under plane to minimise 'gunge' and most importantly 'tough as old boots'. I commend these items to the house.

Of course if your like me with mileage under your belt and arthritis in the hands, knees, hips and lower spine you'll wait for warmer weather or suffer the consequences. You'll end up aching like the blazes, I know!

One of these.... The Screamer. . 51" span and weighing a bit less than 5 pounds. . It will happily fly in very rough weather. . One of mine has flown in 70mph winds (did it for a £5 bet).

Just bolt in lots of power, and have some fun.

My lad, pictured many years ago when he was 11, loved his one. . . Child's play, eh.

125726-13df69d73028855db6b7411243aa6376.jpg

I've spent many an hour flying an EPP profile Extra in silly winds - very responsive controls and no undercarriage to damage... However, my current weapon of choice for the more challenging conditions (no doubt it'll be out tomorrow) is a small (43 inch) Seagull EP Extra 300 which seems to handle almost anything I throw it at - I can't match Brian's Great Storm exploits but I was flying earlier this year in measured 31mph gusting 50 winds, necessitating a genuine full throttle approach!

The common factor isn't a high wing loading but control responsiveness coupled with predictable handling. I will sometimes put the battery further forward in very rough conditions.

I will admit that I fitted a Jeti Assist (stabilised) receiver to it recently as an experiment. I have to say that it makes rough conditions flying almost as easy as a gentle summer evening's flight. I often have to be advised that conditions are turbulent when I have it activated! I could certainly recommend a similar set up to anyone nervous of flying in strong winds.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/09/2019 18:12:29

Posted by Brian Cooper on 11/09/2019 17:28:52:

One of these.... The Screamer. . 51" span and weighing a bit less than 5 pounds. . It will happily fly in very rough weather. . One of mine has flown in 70mph winds (did it for a £5 bet).

Just bolt in lots of power, and have some fun.

My lad, pictured many years ago when he was 11, loved his one. . . Child's play, eh.

125726-13df69d73028855db6b7411243aa6376.jpg

A well educated young man.

I used to fly my old Hobbyzone Mini Cub in most weathers except rain. I removed the undercarriage to make landing easier. As said by others, being a foamie helped, though I didn't have too many prangs. Speed was a bit of an issue. There was a limit of about 20 knots where it didn't really go forward anymore.

The only problem was that when we got a calm day, my flying got worse as I was used to flying with some sort of wind bias. Maybe it's because I started out many years ago flying slope soarers.