The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Advert

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 01/11/2019 21:13:52:
Posted by Cuban8 on 01/11/2019 13:41:09:

There is no need to complicate this. Take your club membership fees and BMFA together during November, December or January and pay the BMFA portion en bloc before the end of January via the portal. The club acts as an agent for the BMFA so you are covered whilst the club holds the money for a short period after Jan 1st .Think it's sixty days, can't remember but it's plenty of time to sort the administration and keep people insured. Been doing it this way for years, far easier than messing about with a piecemeal approach.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/11/2019 13:42:42

Actually its much easier and better all round if the club goes on the portal and updates the memberships as soon as possible, the member gets an email immediately with his membership documents then, also any other clubs that member is in knows straightway that he has renewed.

Fair enough - things have moved on a bit from the advice that used to come with the hard copy sheets and sticky strips. wink

I put almost all of my club's memberships (100 or so) through during first week of January.

Edited By Cuban8 on 02/11/2019 12:15:52

Posted by Chris Berry on 02/11/2019 11:12:06:

I've just had a read of the definitions of the EASA regs. Not sure I see an issue with the open category? Can someone point out what the concern is with it please?

Restrictions in the use of Privately Built models as set out in Annex C to CAP1789. See also Article 16, as referred to by Steve J.

This was thrashed out in thread "Latest CAA Update", which you started. My own attempt to sum things up was on page 36, posted 10/10/2019 14:15

I'm digging out my combination lock brief case which I used when PPL flying. It contains all my charts books etc and the mechanical 'computer' used for navigation. But, I think this does not go far enough. I think we should give our activity the gravitas it obviously deserves from the regulations. So, to that end I propose we all agree on a form of aircraft captains uniform with lots of gold braid and a peaked cap. This attire to be worn on all occasions we go flying. What do you say? winkwinksmileysmiley

Hi, it is alright for pilots who live near to a club, we are two who live right into the country side miles from any club, or airport.

it takes more time to travel to & from the field some times than to fly, we are country members of the BMFA. So how would any one come to us to train us we are really competent with the safety rules, and do not fly near buildings or over our car park area, also only one of us has an A certificate, so how can the other pass with out proper training from a club member present ?

Mike.

The A test isn't meant to be any more than a demonstration of basic flying skills i.e. can you prepare and handle your model safely, take off, fly reasonably level turns in both directions, land in the right general area, handle a power failure and demonstrate knowledge of the safety code and basics of air law. The scheme has produced some videos of the requirements and you can apply to your area scheme controller to arrange testing, either at your own site or at a club in the area.

I'd imagine you already possess these basic requirements and just need to ensure that you can demonstrate them within the guidelines.  Your A certificate holder should be able to assist you with his experience.

P.S. I'm sure your examiner will brief you before the test but don't forget to communicate with other pilots before and during the flying - even if you're alone with the examiner, make the calls as if you were flying with others...if you're not in the habit due to flying alone a lot, this is something to drum into your routine!

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/11/2019 13:23:23

Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 03/11/2019 12:48:58:

Hi, it is alright for pilots who live near to a club, we are two who live right into the country side miles from any club, or airport.

it takes more time to travel to & from the field some times than to fly, we are country members of the BMFA. So how would any one come to us to train us we are really competent with the safety rules, and do not fly near buildings or over our car park area, also only one of us has an A certificate, so how can the other pass with out proper training from a club member present ?

Mike.

As Steve said, take the simple CAA test or wait for the BMFA to role out their new competency test which will br along the lines of the CAA one and do that.

I already carry my club membership card and BMFA membership printout (what used to the card!) in my transmitter case.

Last week I printed out the exemption documents and my A and B cert documents and put them in the case too. If anybody ever needs to see them then I have them. If they don't, then all I've wasted is a couple of minutes and a few sheets of paper and a little bit of ink. No big deal!

txcase.jpg