The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

• 3 weeks later...

A club member was in a camera shop in a major chain the other day.

He commented to the assistant about the rules for drones as they looked at a couple of £1000 Marvics.

The assistant said "Oh we don't bother about that!"

My letter regarding the rules etc has just been published in the current Amatuer Photographer. The editor is now planning an article on the subject

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/01/2020 11:07:54:

A club member was in a camera shop in a major chain the other day.

He commented to the assistant about the rules for drones as they looked at a couple of £1000 Marvics.

The assistant said "Oh we don't bother about that!"

My letter regarding the rules etc has just been published in the current Amatuer Photographer. The editor is now planning an article on the subject

I suspect there will be a fair bit of flaunting the laws to various degrees, you only have to look at recent videos on Youtube to see fliers openly mot abiding with the regulations.

Last December I was speaking to some FPV Drone pilots who are going to register and label their aircraft as required. I asked them how they were going to manage the need for a ‘line of sight at all times spotter’ to which they replied that they wouldn’t be bothering with that, “who’s to know” they said.

Cheers,

Nigel

It is worth noting that the January 2020 AAIB monthly accident report now includes incidents from commercially flown UAS. It also includes a full AAIB field investigation into an incident with a DJI Matric 210 UAS.

The worrying thing is they draw a conclusion that a 4kg UAS in an uncontrolled free descent due to a motor failure is potentially lethal to a person on the ground. They do also note this situation is different to an engine failure on a winged plane.

In addition there are 7 other accident reports included that were submitted by UAS commercial pilots in 2019.

If anyone was looking for evidence that commercial flying near people is potentially dangerous.with the current reliability of rotor lift UAS.wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 03/02/2020 22:13:20

The probality is that a very high percentage of club members will comply with the rules ( the committeee will see to that ) yet the lone fliers and rogue fliers probably won't. However if any regular checks are made it will be clubs as they know where to find us and it will be very easy. The rogues will only get caught after some terrible incident happens. So club fliers beware - we are the ones who are most likely to be checked, perhaps just a noise complaint will instigate a check.

Hopefully sense will prevail with continuing exemptions being issued to enable traditional aeromodelling activities to continue and the ongoing relationship between the CAA and the modelling organisations will not be undermined by the small minority of those threatening or advising non-compliance:

(8) The requirement for geo-fencing equipment under paragraph (6) does
not apply to a person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft with a
permission granted by the CAA to operate without this restriction.”

On a closely related note...

I assume we're all still waiting for the CAA to send out our operator ids - those of us who paid our £9 via the BMFA that is?

I know we're exempt from displaying them until 23 Feb, but the clock is ticking, we're 12 days in to February and only 11 days to the deadline.

Anybody (Andy?) know any more on expected timescales? I expect some of my club members to start chasing me soon, asking me what I did with their nine pounds!

Op Ids will be sent out directly from the CAA at some point before 23rd. They have the data, batch upload was done on 3rd Feb they ran their verification process, we had about 250 that failed that, mostly only had an initialninstead of a full first name. Thise 250 were all sorted and the file uploaded again on Monday so now in the hands of the CAAs process. We have a meeting with the CAA this week so will gee them up.

Posted by Martin Harris on 12/02/2020 15:39:01:

I see little reason why the CAA wouldn't issue a further exemption if the process takes them longer than they expected. My label printer isn't going anywhere in the meantime.

There is no doubt they will if they find they aren't getting OP idsout in time. Its really nothing to worry about. Carry on flying, stick your id on/in when it arrives.