Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thank you for your comments, gents.

Yes, Phil. It seems like a big step just to have the cockpit finally 'closed'.

Concerning the 'posts', I was surprised it was that much. I never really took note of it and certainly not since the switchover to the new forum...

Not being a big beer 'afficionado', I dully enjoyed a few glasses of white Ballaturi yesterday night.  ?

I have to be 'serious' today as I have my first anti-C19 jab tomorrow morning.  ?

Cheers

Chris

Hi all,

Well yesterday, I had my first jab without probs, except a bit of a battle with the P-Card machine at the exit of the parking...

Following Dwain's remark, I was expecting a nice sticker showing something like "Congrats, you have been vaccinated now".

So when I asked for it, the doc simply answered that I already had a small sticker covering the needle puncture on my upper-arm...  ?

My next question, about getting a lollipop 'like in the old days', just made them all chuckle for a while though...  ?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks Dwain ? ... and on a bit more topic-serious note - as you asked it in a very kind & diplomatic way - here are some pics of the progress.

The first one is still a 'mummified' version of the canopy...  ?

1882_canopy_mummy_900.jpg.0e70d930bfe21e15880afbd4e75d64e7.jpg

But the two next ones show it a little better.

1885_glued_canopy01_900.jpg.f934f355983365472c3b0a396dacbbe9.jpg

1890_glued_canopy02_900.jpg.d9f67bdf33765bf7e74fead4495359a1.jpg

I was quite surprised to 'discover' it again after all that time stored away in that shoebox...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Carnage & Mummy Control

• Like 5

Hi again all,

@Dwain Dibley. > thanks, young man.

A bit of progress to the fin/rudder with a partial coat of black.

The first pic is still a 'mummified' version.  ?

1894_black_tailplane_900.jpg.f29eb4e4552d817b883b03d3acf80d71.jpg

On a side note the black part of the Belgian flag is wider at the base of the fin than at the tip...

I realise that the pics are showing it differently.

Those wide angle angle lenses are often quite 'offending'.

1897fin_bicolor01_900.jpg.a4e31f8332d39c15dea9145299fec6e3.jpg

1899_fin_bicolor02_900.jpg.f0c9442a9b7b90609f0ec6191ebada85.jpg

Think of it like those heavily followed 'influencer' pics on Instagram... the reality is often totally different than the pics they want you to believe...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mummy #2 Control

• Like 3

Hi again,

My next 'duty' really is one I wasn't looking forward too. 

The fillet/fairing between the canopy and the fuselage...

I remember Chief Phil used some P38 filler and made some kind of 'template' to bring it on.

Now, the problem is I don't have polyester filler at hand but already made my template with a scrap piece of styrene and half a tongue depressor glued at each side for reinforcement.

I decided to 'improvise' with alternative materials like an artist 'gel medium' to thicken some acrylic paint.

That worked nicely on a test piece but unfortunately it was way too 'rubbery' to be sanded properly...

Next was some epoxy mixed with microballoons.

1903_cockpit_fairingmix_900.jpg.935a6671b1de17873db6cb82757f0219.jpg

Very promising - being the right consistency - until it started to sag before the epoxy cured... Thanks Lady Gravity...  ?

Even adding some talcum powder in an attempt to make it a little 'stiffer' didn't gave that required Eureka moment...

1906__cockpit_fairingmix02_900.jpg.023dfeed131a0d6d1d81be78e0390d44.jpg

After learning a few tricks that didn't work, I just bought a small tin of polyester filler today...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fillet Control

• Like 1

Chris,

Use some fumed silica to make the epoxy thixotropic next time. (makes it thicker like gel coat), Add micro balloons to make it lighter mix the epoxy and hardner before adding the microballoons and silica to ensure you get it activated. I use 1 teaspoon silica, 3 teaspoons of microballoons to 13mls of mixed epoxy.

You won't get sag if you use the silica. Here is a link to a UK supplier that I use (https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/fumed-silica-thixotropic-powder) I'm sure there will be other suppliers in Europe/UK.

Consistency becomes like that lightweight filler you can get for home e.g. fluffy/thick whipped cream.

Nigel

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind advices, Nigel.  ?

It's a bit late for the canopy fairing now, but I copy/pasted your info about the silica into my 'Tips & Tricks' file.  

I've been looking at different videos from the Easy Composites staff previously and they seem to be a very 'pro' company.

On a side note, they are opening their EU subsidiary soon now and their business to the Continent is on hold for now due to the regulations complications.

Thanks again & Cheers

Chris

Hello out there,

Just a few words & a couple of pics for you all (and Dwain in particular)...  ?

The polyester filler was applied with that styrene 'template' and sanded back. 

I was surprised that it only took a very thin layer to obtain the fillet curve needed. Really not a lot of weight added whatsoever.

1910_canopy_filler_900.jpg.1bd23d1fabe8a95f0def8c9821c0872c.jpg

1914_canopy_sauce_900.jpg.622e0d1ccce79c77e5cc2508d0297837.jpg

I then went for a layer of Sauce keeping it quite 'thick', hoping to only need one layer this time.

Next will be a sanding job once more ...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fillet #2 Control

• Like 3