Buying LiPo`s

Gary Murphy 1

Going over to LiPo so need to buy the things. My not so local model shop as very limited stock its mainly car related. I read that in cases some "cheaper" non branded packs can be as good.Also many but from overseas.

Can anyone point/link me to some places here or overseas that are ok to use? have heard about guys buying lipo`s from overseas then having them taken away because of not handling dangerous goods. I know uk delivery must be by courier?

any help would be great

Advert

If your not so local model shop doesn't have a good range, why not try a different not so local model shop? My LMS is Addlestone Models, and they usually have a pretty good range of Lipos.

Yes, you can buy from HK and send your money overseas, or for the same cost you can buy in the UK, support a UK business and have an easily contactable supplier.

re car Lipos: They're the same thing as flying Lipos, sometimes having higher C ratings. The only difference is that they come in a hard plastic case, which once cracked open and ditched is found to be mostly filled with air and padding.

Have tended to buy from UK only as I have issues with China and whilst I acknowledge that most of the things originate there regardless of the labels (not Gens Ace, I'm told) i would rather support our economy, not theirs.

4Max for me. Noticably less puffy than other brands.

An interesting episode unfolded a couple of weeks ago. A clubmate (highly experienced, picky about all of his equipment) was struggling to get his foam Wot 4 to fly in quite cold weather. I lent him a 4Max LiPo which happened to be in my safe bag and it flew fine, hadn't been topped up for some time, may have started slightly warmer as I put a 6v pet mat in my bag. His big name LiPos had evidently been charged immediately prior.

I can only speak from experience.

BTC

I would recommend Overlander Batteries available on line. This is a UK company that assembles its own packs. They may not be the very cheapest but the quality is consistently good and the service is excellent. All my batteries ( around 15) are all Overlader.

They also offer different C ratings, depending on whether you need them for general sports flying or all out power.

I have a few fancy Overlander packs in 1000 and 2200 size. Without exception, they have puffed.

Zippy, Rhino and Turnigy Blue packs bought from Hobbyking - around the same age and charged for around number of cycles - have not puffed.

All are continuing to perform approximately the same as each other.

Hobbyking EU has slightly better shipping costs for lipos than the UK warehouse.

Repeat above warning about HK global - don't order from there, it'll hurt!

Posted by Engine Doctor on 11/12/2019 13:24:52:

You could also try Rapid RC Justin keeps a good range of lipos in stock .

Followed your link since I need a couple of LiPos - the Rapid site is one of those amateurish jobs with not terribly good navigation, so I gave up and went back to Al's Hobbies. Good site, products, service IME.

Overlander batteries all the way for me. Not as cheap as some others, but the cells are absolutely better quality.

I do a full charge -> discharge -> storage charge cycle on all my batteries every month regardless of their useage and they have been golden.

My Turnigy batteries, despite being subject to the same reqime now get worryingly warm on a 1C charge and are very puffy. The Overlanders do not and are not. Still, you get what you pay for.

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 11/12/2019 15:49:54:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 11/12/2019 13:24:52:

You could also try Rapid RC Justin keeps a good range of lipos in stock .

Followed your link since I need a couple of LiPos - the Rapid site is one of those amateurish jobs with not terribly good navigation, so I gave up and went back to Al's Hobbies. Good site, products, service IME.

Yes, it took me several seconds to find the LiPos - was it really that frustrating?

If you want 3S 2200 mah lipos then hobbyking have their Rhino brand for under £7 from the UK warehouse, they have had some good reviews. I have a dozen hobbyking graphine batteries for a couple of years and they are still good. The nanotech batteries seem to have a poor reputation but I think hobbyking have brought out a mark 2 version, don't know how good they are.