Benefits of the lockdown

Former Member

Advert

I made the descision to get my MOT 2 months early. Yes it cost me about £700 plus a service to correct the worn track control arms plus the new set of tyres that I had just bought to get it safe on a car the I will probably change in the new year but that beats it getting worse in the next 6 months and killing someone. I really would not like a 6 month extension on my mot A year is long enough Having said that the car had a service at the same time and that picked up the issue prior to them mot ing it.

I used to keep the service and MOT as separate events (used to do the service myself), but after getting a car mechanic to do it I noticed he would MOT it first, then service it and ask for approval to do the bits it failed on.

Seemed to be standard practice in the motor trade although a bit concerning that you could be driving around with a defective car.

PS our mechanic was very good as he would highlight items (e.g. brake pads) based on previous years mileage that would wear out before the next service/MOT.

PPS I suppose that's why you see so many cars with defective lights as people wait until the next MOT.

I got the Blue Vectra fixed. though was running, had no power and was using 1L of oil every 200 miles! And when started used to fill the whole street with white smoke then black smoke as it needed full power to do 30mph.

2 days, stripping the inlet side down, clean and modify now runs well, no smoke of any type...

I got the Blue Vectra fixed. though was running, had no power and was using 1L of oil every 200 miles! And when started used to fill the whole street with white smoke then black smoke as it needed full power to do 30mph.

2 days, stripping the inlet side down, clean and modify now runs well, no smoke of any type...

​​​​​​Posted by Doc Marten on 07/04/2020 11:35:07:

The MOT is only as good as the hour it's under test, drive away and a dozen parts could fail to make it unroadworthy.

I look after my car, as soon as it needs a repair or I spot something I see to it, for people like me the test is unnecessary.

yes + 1 . It's the only way to keep on top of things. I do most jobs on my car myself and as above fix any faults as soon as spotted. It drive me mad seeing cars with bald tyres, broken lights and occasionally some only fit for the breakers on our roads. Not as many these days but still too many.

I've just fitted new brake discs and pads etc ,then polished the inside of the wheels !

OTT yes but nothing else to dosmiley

Posted by john stones 1 on 07/04/2020 15:14:25:

The wifes bored rigid, taken an interest in DIY. surprise

Me being a helpful sort am encouraging her, "how do you mix Pollyfilla" same as your spuds dear, but without the lumps. face 1

May I suggest not asking for mash for tea. wink 2

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 09/04/2020 10:00:40:

Some perspective from the days when the magazine paper was so thin you could cover yer model with it.....teeth 2

After 5 years of restrictions this...

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 09/04/2020 10:02:46

Do we get annual subscriptions for 15/- (75p) as well when the lockdown is lifted? smiley

Dick

Posted by fly boy3 on 03/04/2020 16:07:20:

Not sure about myself yet, but it's a fact wildlife will benefit. No shooting. fishing and hunting. I do hope that some European countries have stopped the killing of millions of song birds in miles long mist nets. Sorry if slightly off topic. Cheers

I had a visitor earlier this morning.

deer.jpg

deer april 2020 (1).jpg