Not all FHSS are equal...

David perry 1

Advert

Hi David, I have come across the same problem with an XY-4 FHSS receiver that came in a box of stuff at club bring and buy, just will not bind to my T8j.

As well as Futaba receivers in larger models I use Corona R6SF and R4SF in smaller models.

John.

FHSS is a generic term which stands for Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrum and many manufactures use the same type of system, but the coding that sits on them is unique to each brand so a Rx from one brand won't work with a different brand unless it has been specially developed for that brand. Even if they happen to use the same chip sets,

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 17/04/2020 22:16:13:

Is this an old design as it doesn't appear on either of the Kings Lynn or Ripmax websites.

A.

It might be unavailable now, but Kings Lynn sold it and Inwood Models. It came with the ARTF Acro Foam e, and they took it out and sold it separately if the customer didn't use Futaba SHFSS.

Failsafe won't work with 2.4 systems. There is usually this function on 2.4, but I tried one unit out for fun and found it doesn't work, as even though you turn the tx off, a signal is still transmitted on the signal channel, so the F/S unit won't detect a loss in signal.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 18/04/2020 12:10:50:

Failsafe won't work with 2.4 systems. There is usually this function on 2.4, but I tried one unit out for fun and found it doesn't work, as even though you turn the tx off, a signal is still transmitted on the signal channel, so the F/S unit won't detect a loss in signal.

It might depend on the receiver, if they don't have a built in failsafe they often just stop sending the position signals, so if you had an ESC then it would just stop, if you had an IC plane then you'd need a device like Denis has shown to drive the throttle servo closed.

You would be better to have a receiver with built in failsafe though IMHO.

Posted by David perry 1 on 17/04/2020 17:15:27:

Now he tells me...

Ha ha. I have managed to return it for a refund anyway, only lost the postage so its a cheap lesson.

Thanks anyway.

D

I hope you didn’t buy it from one of the increasingly beleaguered local model shops in the UK, because while it’s a cheap lesson for you, they have had to pay for your assumption.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 18/04/2020 14:52:13

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 18/04/2020 14:50:25:
Posted by David perry 1 on 17/04/2020 17:15:27:

Now he tells me...

Ha ha. I have managed to return it for a refund anyway, only lost the postage so its a cheap lesson.

Thanks anyway.

D

I hope you didn’t buy it from one of the increasingly beleaguered local model shops in the UK, because while it’s a cheap lesson for you, they have had to pay for your assumption.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 18/04/2020 14:52:13

No idea. An ebay shop. Could be a modelling megastar or someones back garden shed for all I know. No answer to the phone when I called and the answer phone was full, so I did as I am.entitled to and claimed a simple return. Every shop permits returns. The law permits returns. Mark's and sparks makes a feature of it!

D

so glad that i have stuck to 27/40 meg for boats and my trusty 35 meg for planes. all i need to do is change crystals. bought 1 of those new fangled fhss things and its never been out of the box apart from testing it. cant figure it out. call me old fashioned if you like but if it aint broke dont try fixing it.unlike what bbc radio is doing lately.good for you d perry.

Funny you say that Keith because as I was smooching in the back of a drawer for some brass tube I found my boxes of xtals from 35mhz and thought to myself, "why?". I have no 35mhz tx anymore but plenty of receivers of course. I guess I got caught up with it all and I suspect, but I really do not know, that smaller, cheaper receivers are more widely available for 2.4ghz than 35mhz now. As I say, it's not something I have looked at.

35mhz was a hell of a lot easier...and very rare to find a channel occupied these days!

Murphy's Law may apply though - a couple of years ago, 2 members turned up with 35 MHz models and happened to be on the same channel - peg discipline having suffered as virtually the whole membership had moved to 2.4 GHz, the pegboard had been left hanging in the clubhouse and the inevitable happened.

Wrong?

Yes, but most fortunately the model flying survived and the lesson wasn't learnt the hardest way.

Posted by J D 8 on 20/04/2020 22:17:41:

You may find that these RX's will not be accepted in a club environment as there is no failsafe capability.

There's no failsafe capability with most 35 Mhz Rx's either but they have always been acceptable.

Posted by PatMc on 20/04/2020 23:52:42:
Posted by J D 8 on 20/04/2020 22:17:41:

You may find that these RX's will not be accepted in a club environment as there is no failsafe capability.

There's no failsafe capability with most 35 Mhz Rx's either but they have always been acceptable.

Same rule at my flying field lads

If it is 2.4 ghz gear, the failsafe has to be operable or you cannot fly, and who would want too.

35mhz is just not seen at this flying field anymore.