Tracing my 1st plane

Paul Taylor 10

Hi i am new to this forum so sorry if this is the wrong place or way to ask!
Ok here is my question: I am trying to trace my 1st ever R/C plane that i bought back in approx 1990-1992, i think it was a 40 size balsa high wing trainer "ARF" that was predominately two colours of White and Orange and i think it was called "MENTOR" it was already covered and just needed assembling, any suggestions or pointers to where i might find info would be very appreciated.
Paul

Advert

Welcome back to the hobby.

Unfortunately, that particular model (MENTOR) might have passed into history.

Also unfortunately, the trend for trainers nowadays is moving towards models made from foam and with an electric motor for power. Whilst these models are undoubtedly convenient, they are not the most rugged when it comes to taking the sort of punishment which most novice pilots sometimes inflict on their models.

Trainers constructed from traditional balsa and ply (for I.C. power) are still out there but they are becoming harder to find.

Good luck with the search.

B.C.

The only Mentor trainer that I can recall is the old David Boddington design which DB Sport and Scale models kitted. It wasn't an ARTF though, or at least I can't recall it being sold in such form.

There is a DB Mentor for sale on Ebay at the moment cheap. It looks like it would need an extensive refurbishment but if it's the model you remember it may be worth considering.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sport-Scale-Mentor-RC-Trainer-Plane-by-David-Boddington-New-Engine-4-Channel-/223778019377

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 29/04/2020 08:19:17

The only Mentor trainer I recall is the one shown in that ebay advert. If it's what you remember then it's probably worth buying at that price if you can travel to Wales to collect. Don't worry about the fin as they are easy to make and the plans seems to be there - easy to make even without the plan. But the quality of the construction could be a worry - easy to find poor joints or alignment which makes the plane useless or very difficult to restore. The unstarted engine & plan with original box too almost justify the price though evn if the airframe turns out ot be usless.

It's easily possible someone built the mentor from the plan or kit and then sold it to a model shop who then sold on as ARTF. But I don't think the Mentor was ever a commercial ARTF produced in any number - but I might be wrong.

David Boddington produced numerous trainer designs all very similar and mostly changing in size by an inch or too. So any Boddington trainer will be pretty similar to the Mentor in looks and flying. You can find a plan or kit from DB Sport & Scale for a very similar trainer or download a free plan from Outerzone.

Edited By kc on 29/04/2020 09:43:17

Edited By kc on 29/04/2020 09:45:03

Welcome to the forum Paul. I think you may have trouble locating your Mentor ARF balsa trainer although if you are looking for a glow powered RC trainer of reasonable size there are still a few around, although some people prefer the electric foamy route for simplicity and convenience sake. Seagull make a few including this one which is a reasonable size too.

The only trainer I recall is the foam Multiplex Mentor which was excellent but sadly no longer available. If it is the Boddington Mentor you definitely want then why don't you give DB Sport and Scale a call and see if they can let you have the plan for you to build from. The plan does not seem to be available from Outersone or Aerofred although you will find many similar designs there. DB Sport and Scale still produce a kit of the larger Mascot and I think they do a 'plan pack' for the Tyro Major too which might apeal, if you are prepared to build your own model.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 29/04/2020 09:54:06

Hi all, thank you so much for all the help and suggestions.

I have also been digging around on the internet and the most probable scenario was that it was an early DB sport&scale kit as they have changed hands a few times over the years, i have contacted them but they have no pictures of the built model, the model i had was all wood construction i.e balsa and ply but came all covered, it was only designed for i.c petrol engines as back then Electric was only just getting started although i did convert it to electric and had many many hours and days of great flying from it then it got stored due to meeting girls then getting married, sadly it ended up in the dump/skip never to be seen again

Sorry for causing some confusion as i was merely just trying to find info on this particular plane kit like pictures, not wanting to buy one, the one currently on eBay has the foam wings and is poorly painted.

I do still fly planes and merely just wanted some pictures for nostalgia lol.

Kind regards

Paul

Posted by Paul Taylor 10 on 29/04/2020 17:28:39:

I do still fly planes and merely just wanted some pictures for nostalgia lol.

Hi Paul

Not officially the Mentor design, but a near perfect copy, the "RM Trainer", was a free magazine plan (Radio Modeller) years back (mid 1980s).

Mark Elen built a glow powered RM Trainer several years ago:

**LINK**

As did I, I did mine with slightly reduced dihedral and an electric powertrain:

**LINK**

It's a nice docile flyer and gets a regular outing when I fancy something laid back to fly. After this lockdown it'll probably be what I take flying first to get my eye back in...