AR620 Loses Connection on Lower Power Range Check

EvilC57

We had an interesting one at the field today, the answer to which may be of use to anyone who has experienced problems trying to perform a range check on a Spektrum AR620 reciever with an older transmitter:

When trying to perform a first range check on a model with one of the new 'antennaless' AR620 receivers with my old first-generation DX8 Tx, upon pressing the Trainer button to go into Low Power mode, the receiver appeared to lose bind.

We bound the receiver to someone else's Tx, a G3 DX6, and all was well with the range check.

However, binding the AR620 to a third Tx, another G1 DX8, the original problem reoccured. Specifically, the bind light went out upon pressing the Trainer button, and could only be restored by cycling power to the receiver.

It became clear that this was a compatibility problem rather than a fault, so I called Logic RC, who now do Spektrum support in the UK. It seems that this is a known problem, and a new version of software has been issued to correct it.

Installing this (V2.4), has rectified my problem.

I can't say whether this issue is also likely to affect the similar AR420 model, but I guess the moral of the tale is to make sure you always have the latest software installed - even on a new piece of kit!

Edited By EvilC57 on 21/07/2020 18:17:02

Edited By EvilC57 on 21/07/2020 18:18:11

Edited By EvilC57 on 21/07/2020 18:19:34

Edited By EvilC57 on 21/07/2020 18:21:11

I already have a Spektrum USB programming lead that came with an AR636 receiver (before they made you pay for the cable separately), so updated the software myself. However, the guy at Logic volunteered to do it for me if I posted it to him.

Actually, I had that on last week with a G1 DX8 and the AR410 rx. Seems to take longer to rebind on a power down check, and have to cycle the power sometimes.

I rebound the model on the DX9 and flew it. So probably need to update the DX8 as only started using it again, so probably needs updating.

Maybe the G1 DX8 is not totally compatible, as most models using the newer rx's are on the DX9 and DX18.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 21/07/2020 21:55:19

Had EXACTLY the same problem with two 6 channel Lemon rx`s, one single and one duel diversity, as soon as the range check button is operated the signal to the rx is lost, only way to get power back is recycle the tx and rx. I think it is a compatibility issue, Lemon asked for a WattsApp video showing the issue which i sent them yesterday, still waiting for a response............Ended up putting in a Spektrum AR500 and also tried an Orange rx, both range checked fine, my TX is a gen1 DX8 as well...............M

Wow..Had the same issue this week with a DX8 gen 1 and AR620. Binds okay, but locks up as soon as the low power setting is selected and won't reset unless both TX and RX power cycled. I sold a model and was putting the new owners RX in (first stage, bunding to my DX8 gen 1) and then binding to his DX8 gen 2 so just had to jump a stage.

Rebound with a DX8 gen 2 and all worked okay. Checked range with DX8 gen 1 and DSM2 RX in another model and all okay (inc range check) so was puzzled.

Big thanks Evilc57 as it pinned the issue down

You’re welcome Chris!

This is why I raised my original post, I can’t be the only person to have tried doing a range check on an AR620 with an old DX8. As soon as I mentioned AR620 and DX8 in the same breath to the chap at Logic, he jumped in and said ‘You’re having range check problems’ (or words to that effect). It turns out he’d originally found the problem, and reported it to Spektrum. Hence the software update.

As the range check worked OK for us with a G3 DX6 but not with two different G1 DX8s, it begs the question, “When going to range check mode, does the transmitter do more than just cut its RF power output”. I.E. Does it do some communicating with the receiver first, along the lines of ‘I am now going into low power mode.’?

Posted by EvilC57 on 22/07/2020 09:31:51:

As the range check worked OK for us with a G3 DX6 but not with two different G1 DX8s, it begs the question, “When going to range check mode, does the transmitter do more than just cut its RF power output”. I.E. Does it do some communicating with the receiver first, along the lines of ‘I am now going into low power mode.’?

You are right, there is inter communication, as the Rx checks too, back to the transmitter, for best signal or no signal, such as failsafe

Frequency hop systems are checking all the time

Posted by Trevor Crook on 22/07/2020 11:11:04:

Just to be clear, is the software fix for the Rx or the Gen1 DX8?

The update is for the AR620 receiver. At the time of writing, this is V2.4 as stated in my OP. This fixed the loss of bind problem for me.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 22/07/2020 12:34:23:

The last upgrade was Feb 2014, and my radio had been done to that. So where is the latest firmware?

I can’t point you to the exact Spektrum webpage, because it’s only available once you’ve logged in and registered your kit at spektrumrc.com

If you’re doing this from a pc, install the Spektrum Updater software at https://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps/spektrum_updater.html and this should automate the process. You do need the special Spektrum USB cable though.

Posted by Steve J on 22/07/2020 10:19:40:

If I am reading EvilC57's posts correctly, the title of this topic is misleading. The AR620 is not losing bind. It is losing a low power signal and not reacquiring it.

Posted by EvilC57 on 22/07/2020 09:31:51:

I doubt it.

Yes, you are right Steve J, the receiver is not losing bind, it's losing the link - hence the reason it re-establishes OK on a power cycle (which obviously it wouldn't do if it had lost bind); I guess I was a bit misled by the bind light going out. I would rename the thread to reflect this, however I don't believe I can now - unless someone knows better smiley.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 22/07/2020 15:39:26:

Well, I just tried a reduced power range check with my DX8 and AR410, and all was well. The Tx is a fairly early Gen1, it has DSM2 and DSMX, the Rx was purchased within the last year.

Looks like it may not affect the AR410 then. Although do you know what version of software you have installed?

Posted by EvilC57 on 22/07/2020 16:36:29:
Posted by Steve J on 22/07/2020 10:19:40:

If I am reading EvilC57's posts correctly, the title of this topic is misleading. The AR620 is not losing bind. It is losing a low power signal and not reacquiring it.

Posted by EvilC57 on 22/07/2020

Yes, you are right Steve J, the receiver is not losing bind, it's losing the link - hence the reason it re-establishes OK on a power cycle (which obviously it wouldn't do if it had lost bind); I guess I was a bit misled by the bind light going out. I would rename the thread to reflect this, however I don't believe I can now - unless someone knows better smiley.

Thread title changed, EvilC57 - hope this s is OK now?