AR620 Loses Connection on Lower Power Range Check

EvilC57

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 23/07/2020 18:00:18:

Posted by Nigel R on 22/07/2020 23:40:47:

Because it is reliable and reasonably priced.

Lol

YMMV, etc.

Edited By Nigel R on 24/07/2020 11:09:54

Edited By Nigel R on 24/07/2020 11:10:48

Four members out a club of around 20 had reliability problems with Spek causing loss of models and changed brands, guess what, surprise, they had no more troubles after the change. 4 of out of 20 is a shockingly high proportion. It has been said that the reason for these reliability problems is because they didn't understand the proper use and installation of said gear but these members didn't know any more as a result of the change.

Those of us who have been on the scene for several decades tend to use R/C gear from the longest established manufacturer even if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles. Reliability trumps features and price every time.

A.

Just the opposite experience at my flying site. We are only a small club and acquired a new field in 2006 at the

advent of 2.4ghz. We started a routine at that time to check new installations between us, and talk to one

another, and continued the 2 man check with new models to the present day. Let's face it, the gear was new to us,

pacing out range checks, setting failsafes, and setting up using display screens. That was 14 years ago, and we all

operate this manufacturers equipment and would buy nothing else. Wings have broken, surfaces have come

detached, balance weights have fallen off, batteries have failed but no problems due to radio.

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 24/07/2020 11:39:01:

Four members out a club of around 20 had reliability problems with Spek causing loss of models and changed brands, guess what, surprise, they had no more troubles after the change. 4 of out of 20 is a shockingly high proportion. It has been said that the reason for these reliability problems is because they didn't understand the proper use and installation of said gear but these members didn't know any more as a result of the change.

Those of us who have been on the scene for several decades tend to use R/C gear from the longest established manufacturer even if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles. Reliability trumps features and price every time.

A.

I was a spektrum user when 2.4 first came out and owed one of the very early DX7s which where manafactured by JR still have it now and never a problem, I then bought a DX8 which was the first spektrum transmitter which horizon hobby manafactured or had manafactured by a third party but not JR, it was a nightmare was replaced several times and in the end I had no option but to bin a brand new transmitter that came back as I had zero confidence and felt selling it was wrong.

I have since used two other brands of radio and not once have I had radio failure or any issue relating to the radio, I was often told it was my install that was wrong but no one could tell me or show me what was wrong and I still do it the same now.

Our club has about 25 members and I think we are now down to one spektrum user and he had a radio problem in a heli a couple of weeks ago and is now talking of changing as he has had to many radio failures in the last couple of years.

I often wonder what would happen if you hit and killed someone whilst using spektrum gear as you are responsiable for the safety of the flight, so what happens when your in court and the barrister says there are hundreds of reports of faliure of this radio brand on the internet but you choice to fly with it anyway, what would be your defence?

Posted by Chris Walby on 24/07/2020 17:22:47:

Back to Spektrum bashing again, how disappointing.

Since 2014 I have had one all Spektrum equipment failure in 2100 flights. So how good is yours?

Ever figured out why people bash spektrum, I'll let you work it out.

In 39 years of rc flying the only radio failure I have had is with spektrum so apart from that I suppose my radio gear has been good

Posted by Steve J on 24/07/2020 22:16:24:
Posted by Paul C. on 24/07/2020 21:50:21:

it's a shame it's descended into spektrum bashing I had hoped we were better than that.

Haters gonna hate. Luckily the forum has an ignore member function .

Not bashing just stating what actually happened.

A.

"Buy cheap buy twice"

What is disappointing is that people take a thread off topic just to criticise a product for their own gratification, it adds nothing to the OP

This thread has nothing to do with reliability of Spektrum in flight or products that have failed + 20 years ago.

If people have nothing constructive to add to the OP, don't post.

I've just started to use the AR620s recently and haven;t updated any firmware. I do have the cable, bought separately with an AR636 receiver, but have yet to use it. Basic question here - to update the firmware do you have to be online to the Spektrum website whilst making the update or can you download the new firmware and make the update from the saved file.

TBH the entire notion of updating firmware, flashing new firmware to different pieces of kit and keeping on top of all that with regular updates and revisions is not an attractive portion of the hobby to me. I want to be able to just install the gear, get it working correctly and have it continue to do that without having to fiddle about with it on a regular basis.

I purchased a AR620 reciever recently but had a problem when I tried to register it on the spektrum site, could not find a serial number on the reciever case. Will be sending for the programme lead when we get back from our hols , presume that the rx serial number will be displayed when connected. I must have about 8 spektrum rx and have not registered any up to yet.

Paul.

Posted by Paul C. on 25/07/2020 09:39:37:

I purchased a AR620 reciever recently but had a problem when I tried to register it on the spektrum site, could not find a serial number on the reciever case. Will be sending for the programme lead when we get back from our hols , presume that the rx serial number will be displayed when connected. I must have about 8 spektrum rx and have not registered any up to yet.

Paul.

You don't have to worry about that. If you download and install the Spektrum Programmer executable from **LINK** as others have said.

Then connect the receiver via the Spektrum programming lead (in my experience, you don't need any external power to the rx, but you do need to tick the 'Power Cable' box to power the rx from the pc).

The program will then display the rx serial number, and you can log into your Spektrum account from within the same application.

Sounds like a nice little job for me when we get back home 😂 I purchased a new dx8 gen2 recently and registered and did the outstanding updates , you get the register reminder every time you turn off. While I was on the site I had one outstanding update for my old dx8 gen1 so I did what as well.

The gen1 update was for additional sail plane functions by the look of it, not sure what the gen2 ones were for but did them all in sequence just to get current. Took me about 10 minutes to complete.

Paul.

I hate the idea of updating RC gear via the internet. Get it right first time and leave well alone if it works OK ( if it ain't broke don't fix it )

However it occurs to me that this might be an attempt to ensure you can only use genuine manufacturers items............ taking a hint from Microsoft Windows?