Circlip pliers

I know this has been asked before. I have found post from 2019 on the suppliers of circlip pliers but the suggestions have lead to dead ends.

I need a very small pair of circlip pliers to replace the 3mm clips on a motor. I managed (forced ) the old one off and now I have replacements I can't get them back on. Plenty of suppliers about but from the pictures they are nowhere near small enough to fit 3mm ones.

Looked on ebay etc. Got the clips from Modelfixings but can't see any tools to fit.

Any help please.

John

Advert

Thanks for the replies.

Martian, that sound like the tool I need. The space in the end of the clip is not the usual two holes but a small oval about 3 - 4 mm so need a very small pair of tips.

Dickw. Will have a look there didn't try them.

Steve J. I think I tried them without success a few years ago, mine were not suitable.

John

You could try Proops to see if theirs are small enough. Or Toolstation or Screwfix etc who do one with interchageable heads.

But I suggest experimenting with a pair of nail scissors to see if they could expand the clip enough. Maybe file the scissors a bit to grip.   Nail scissors loop around your finger & thumb so can expand instead of compressing action. ( scissors are cheap especially if you 'borrow' hers) Working inside a polythene bag might catch any flying clip! Of course it's always possible heat might expand the metal enough to fit.

Edited By kc on 27/07/2020 17:50:32

John, yesterday when i made the suggestion of using a pair of nail scissors I actually tried the idea and it all but worked except that it was a brand new 3648  with 5mm shaft and I didn't really want to disassemble it so i didnt actually expand very much. So I suggest you try it using the opposite action to cutting. It may sound ridiculous but it may work!

Edited By kc on 28/07/2020 19:16:45

These should do the job. The jaws are just less than 0.8mm in diameter & close flush together - 1.75mm across when closed together.

I bought a pair 3 years ago (through Ebay but my vendor is no longer listed there) & find them invaluable for tiny circlips. Search '4" micro circlip pliers' for alternatives.

I know that 'elf and safety can get rediculous sometimes, but I had a close call with an errant circlip a week or two ago. Ping! and the ruddy thing clipped the white of my left eye. No damage thankfully but could have been a mess - don't know how many circlips I've dealt with professionally over the years, thousands possibly, and have never come so close to disaster 'till now.

Please, please, please, use a pair of safety glasses when dealing with these things or similar.

Gentlemen SUCCESS.

I used a combination of Kc scissors and Simons wedge. The scissors I had were just too big so I thought about it and used one leg of the scissors in the clip and pushed it down the scissors enought open it a bit (Simons wedge), managed to get it on the shaft. Removed the scissors and pushed the clip down the shaft and there was a satisfying click as it went into the groove.

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will still try to get the circlip pliers from Farnells as I like to make life easier (though you would never guess it if you see me at work).

John