Modelflying.co.uk platform migration plans, a 'heads-up' for everyone

A 'site refresh' sounds sensible but when I hear of 'a completely new platform' this rings alarm bells! Whilst this forum does have it's own idiosyncrasies like loading inverted photos etc. on the whole I find it works pretty well. As Tim Says the search engine is pretty hopeless but then that is not unique to this forum, many others I can think of are equally bad. If you can't find what you want on the forum just google it and add 'modelflying ' in the search. Works every time. My advice is, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Software developers always confidently predict how much 'better' things will be but rarely deliver in my experience. Hope I am wrong!

Unlimited post editing has been touted. I think this would be a Very Bad Thing. If someone posts something which is incorrect and someone else pulls them up on it, the original poster should not be able to edit their post to make subsequent posts look nonsensical!

A minute or so to edit typos, presentation or attachments would be fine - or even up until a subsequent post is made.

Also, somebody must have mentioned a 'like' button...

Edited By Mike T on 25/01/2021 01:40:55

As a long term member of the site approaching his 8th decade, with computer literacy at the John & Jane Readers stage, I'm looking forward to your planned upgrade/improvements with some trepidation. Can we Wrinklies be assured that the new site will still still be accessible and functional for us with old laptops and (particularly in my case) old iPads and similar tablets. Just a thought.

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 25/01/2021 08:32:09:

As a long term member of the site approaching his 8th decade, with computer literacy at the John & Jane Readers stage, I'm looking forward to your planned upgrade/improvements with some trepidation. Can we Wrinklies be assured that the new site will still still be accessible and functional for us with old laptops and (particularly in my case) old iPads and similar tablets. Just a thought.

Good thought. Santander upgraded their online banking app and it no longer worked on my wife's ipad or my old Samsung tablet. Had to buy another ipad!

Also +1 for the Like button.

You know, what I find annoying to say the least is that it is never the people who do the "improvements" who have to listen to the screams of anguish or vituperation hurled at said "improvements".It is the moderators or operators of any system.

I can't say that I have ever heard of any "improvements" to machinery etc that didn't have major downsides to it.

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 25/01/2021 08:32:09:

Also on windows 7 of which are on many many PC's

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 25/01/2021 09:18:28:

John - even Microsoft doesn't support Windows 7

I know that but what we are asking here is that the revised website will accommodate the operating systems which are in most use at current time

Posted by Mike T on 25/01/2021 01:40:31:

Also, somebody must have mentioned a 'like' button...

Edited By Mike T on 25/01/2021 01:40:55

We've already got that facility if you so wish:

yes

heart

angry

no

Like buttons are impersonal things, I much prefer to see a comment rather than a 'Like' because it's taken a bit more effort. It's all a bit too Facebook/Twitter when you add buttons to bypass meaningful interaction. How many people actually acknowledge a 'Like' button? They usually respond to a typed compliment.

A decent UK auto spell checker would be helpful rather than having to enable SCAYT to find an American English replacement.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 25/01/2021 12:29:09

I would hope that it will accommodate any operating system and remain reasonably user friendly. Look at what happened to the HK site and BT mail. Loads of complaints about both, particularly the latter which they refuse to do anything about. Probably done by some bored IT guy working from home and trying to justify his existance.

My old phone is not exactly ancient but have had to buy a new one to download things like the NHS and Lidl apps.

I hate it when some smart Alec sends me a mail with an attachment in the very latest wizz bang format which most of the rest of us cannot open.

Anyway, I look forward to finding out what the new site will be like and thank the people building it.

John, my point isn't that you can't use W 7 (even though it has security flaws) but to use a different browser. Firefox, Chrome or Opera don't depend on the OS. Internut Exploder does

I've a simple answer for smart phones. I simply don't use one. For photos, I use a camera, for internet stuff, I use a computerand for talking I use a simple, non-frilled phone (even a landline, which never needs to be charged up)

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/01/2021 16:29:45:

Ditto other than the landline which only receives nuisance calls since I do not give out the number unless I have to.

You're lucky. As often as not there's no mobile signal in the house (thick stone walls) despite there being a mast very close and we're high up. In fact there isn't as I write - I just checked.

Geoff

I started with 02 and very soon afterwards the signal became zero so changed to Orange (which became EE), since they made an effort to get service by fitting mast head amplifiers which I played a part in manufacturing, but that died too so they sent me a free signal booster which plugs into the broadband. Five bars all the time now. Not really off topic because a lot of people use their mobiles to access the forum.

I'm on T Mobile which I think is also EE. IIRC we started on Orange. All I've got is a PAYG sim and I inhibit data, so it's just phone and texts. If we were travelling I'd been thinking of expanding to data but as we're not I haven't - plus I'm at home all the time with a full kyboard and a big vdu.

It's an old Apple iPhone 4 I bought s/h on eBay for £30. I use it more as a calculator or camera than to make calls and, as my first 4 function pocket calculator cost over £30, 30+ years ago, I think it was a good deal

So as long as the new forum works at least as well as this one (doesn't lose any posts/images) and it works on Firefox, I'm happy. It's like OS updates (MS W10) all I need is the security kept current - I've got all the features I need. I've learned enough systems in my time from Flex, CPM, OS9 through the various MS susyems from Win 3.1 to 10 - I can't be bothered.

Geoff