Modelflying.co.uk platform migration plans, a 'heads-up' for everyone

Hi folks. Some news for you all.

This site is due to have a long overdue refresh. The new site will be on a new platform although, it is hoped, the forum will be largely unchanged.

Essentially this will make the site mobile friendly while allowing for straightforward future development.

The process will take 1-2 months in total with a beta site being established and tested first.

I'm well aware that some users have asked for certain changes and improvements over the last few years and, usually, those improvements we haven't been able to implement owing to this site's rather idiosyncratic architecture.

Inevitably some things will be a bit different, that's to be expected, but if you have anything you'd like the new site to have - features and facilities - then please leave a post below and I can pass these requests on. No promises of course but I'll be talking to the developers regularly over the migration period and will keep you all posted as things progress.

David.

I would recommend selecting a few fair minded forum members to user test the beta version using some real data , this will give you good feedback and identify any issues that need to be sorted . Importantly you will have also gained some user buy in who will also help others find there way through the new system , get yourself some key forum users you will need them when you go live 👍😉. I know from experience these things can go well and everyone wonders what all the fuss was about or it can turn ugly really quickly , and don't forget to book yourself a realy nice holiday next year 👍😂

Paul.

Until I had a quick look at those two web sites I didn't realise how cheap aeromodelling is! HiFi News features a review of a tube (aka valve in my language) amplifier at almost £10k (I have one cluttering my workshop with KT66s the new one has KT88s). Total Carp has a review of a RC bait boat at over £600. We should be delerious

Will the new site have adverts on the front page in a similar vein? I think it would be excellent if there was sufficient interest in the trade for that to happen but I somehow doubt it.

As long as the forum continues more or less as it is I'm all for change but beware of going over the top with bells and whistles at the expense of simplicity. KISS has a lot going for it and I know how much fun writing software can be. It was one of the things I enjoyed most when I worked for a living.

Geoff

Hopefully a standard template with no customisations will be the choice here. All the new functionality needed (mobile friendly, Like functionality against posts, blog posting against profiles, a decent search engine that can search via poster/keyword/date range and a far easier process to post videos and images) should be available in stock forum templates. Avoiding customisations will make it easier to maintain and upgrade in the future.

Whether content can be migrated from here I don’t know, but I hope the Modelflying team don’t look to customise in order to bring that old content in. It would be better that non-editable reference copy of this site is retained than customising the template to enable the old posts to migrate into the new site.

Edited By MattyB on 10/11/2020 22:27:51

David,

Please, please, please, can we have a "Go To First Unread Post" button on each thread. It's always a right pain trying to find where you read up to particularly in a fast moving thread.

Also can we update the low-lighting (greying) of the thread title to colour again when new posts have been made after last viewing or just not bother with low-lighting altogether.

Thanks,

Andy Stephenson.

Small suggestion on picture albums; our existing picture albums could be migrated to a more normal forum style quite easily; build a thread for each album, stick each picture into a separate post, this should (hopefully, depends on the forum I guess) then make a forum html to use for the regular threads to draw in the pictures from. Not sure how that plays with private albums, if anyone uses them here.

However. MattyB is talking sense - an archived, read-only version of this forum would definitely be the easiest and lowest cost way to move across. Just please, please, make the new forum search function also search into the archive!

Unless I'm currently missing a trick, might it be possible to add a print pages to the digital back issues? At present 'Print Screen' is not ideal. Other publishers have this e.g. FMT in Germany. Very useful when you come to build a model or use an item that was reviewed many issues ago and you (or your CEO wink) has had a tidy and clear out!

One more plea for making it simpler to add photos without the need to upload to an album. Many forums (e.g. RCGroups) have a simple drag and drop method of adding attachments.

Also, the ability to bookmark or subscribe to a thread without getting hit with a dozen or more emails when a thread goes through an active phase! Again I like the RCGroups model where I can view a list of my subscribed threads that have had new postings since my last visit.

Good luck with the transition!

Trevor

Thanks everyone, all noted, feel free to keep them coming.

My understanding is that the forum will migrate across - boards, threads, posts - but we have a meeting on Monday so I'll ask for assurance then.

I don't want to get drawn into platform/programming code specifics, partly because I won't pretend to understand it and partly because the developers will have their own ideas and an existing platform they use across all MTM sites.. Specifically it's the features, the end-user experience that I want to try and use this opportunity to hone.

David.

Anyone who follows Key Publishings 'Flypast' forum will understand the dangers of this process.

For those that don't know, Flypast magazine had a really popular forum for histoic aviation.

They decided to change platforms, in the process of which they lost much of the previous posts, lost embedded links, lost pictures etc.

It's killed that forum stone dead, the mass of information has been lost and Key must have taken a big hit in the wallet.

Proceed with great caution and tes, test, test...

Edited By Guvnor on 11/11/2020 10:15:01

Edited By Guvnor on 11/11/2020 10:15:17