If you've got a spare 3 Grand

Daithi O Buitigh

Advert

The giant drone leaves me cold.

The Spitfire flight. Well I have flown as a passenger in a lot of interesting aircraft.

The outstanding ones being:

Airtests on Lancasters. ****

A lift up from Cornwall to London in the back seat of a Meteor T7 *******

Aerobatics in a Chipmunk ***

Test flight in a Twin Pioneer**

Several flights in Avro Ansons and Shackletons **

I think I can definately live without a flight in a Spitfire

These Spitfire flights are an expensive indulgence that few can afford, or if they do have a few bob put away, could never sensibly justify if it was to leave them short. I know that families sometimes have a whip-round to raise the fare and that's a nice way of getting someone to fly when they otherwise wouldn't be able to. I'm quite happy to watch the real ones from the ground and get my model versions to perform at my command (usually!) over the flying fieldwink

The experience flights are a big business now and I've been at Duxford on their busy flight days and they take quite a bit of revenue which has to be a good thing if it means that the aircraft can be kept in the air profitably and for all to see. Keeping a Spit in flying order must be a huge cost these days, so those that do offer flights must have taken quite a knock over the last year. The recent TV series 'Inside the Spitfire Factory' summed it all up very well I thought.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 18/01/2021 23:08:34:

If you just happen to have a spare £3,000 gathering dust, perhaps one of these may tempt you:

This

or

This

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 18/01/2021 23:09:17

You are going to need a lot more than £3000 for the drone - did you not see the shipping costs?

Shipping: £2,872.98 to United Kingdom via Fedex IE
Dick

Posted by Dickw on 19/01/2021 10:37:57:

You are going to need a lot more than £3000 for the drone - did you not see the shipping costs?

Shipping: £2,872.98 to United Kingdom via Fedex IE
Dick

That's a bargain Dick... it is $3795.21 to France...and don't forget the 20% VaT because Fedex wont!. ...at least the 'service charges' from Fedex will seem reasonable!