Safe storage of lipo batteries

Hi all, I keep all of my lipo batteries in a safe which is fire proof and lockable, it has a lid which closes down tightly to seal the safe and it's quite heavy. My question is, if one of the liops malfunctioned and ignited and set the others off would the build up of pressure inside the safe cause it to explode? would I be better to drill a couple of holes in the safe to let any gasses out should they be become present?

Advert

Thank you both for your replies, I have put on order an ammo box immediately! I think the black smoke in the video with seal in place would be the rubber seal burning, that would create toxic gasses. I have a concrete floor so will keep the batteries on it maybe chocked up on two house bricks!

Edited By Stuart Eggerton on 26/01/2021 15:14:56

Stuart

LiPo fires are real but if the LiPo is stored at the correct storage level capacity failures are not that common. If one does go off you have to make sure the heat it creates does not set off its neighbour or you may set off a chain reaction and you loose the lot. smile o

Either keep them well apart or with a fire proof separator between.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 26/01/2021 15:45:07

I have to keep my LiPos in the house, nowhere else for them, so am seriously thinking of getting rid of them as I mainly fly glow anyway.

Four packs of 4s (used for 2-3 flights per pack), one 3s and two 5s (none used at all). All at storage charge and with XT60s.

If anyone's interested, drop me a line and I'll give you the full details.

Please delete if against the rules.

Posted by Andy Joyce on 26/01/2021 16:08:46:

Think the real hazard of using amo boxes is shorts caused by trapping the leads in the lid as considerable force is created when the lid clasp is closed.

As a secondary precaution I now fit 3D printed blanking plugs to my batteries.

Agreed, but there are fixes for that. I have lined all interior surfaces on mine with thin plastic foam (~0.5mm thick) and cut down old 2 pint plastic milk cartons to put the batteries in (lead pointing towards the bottom to further reduce the chance of the issue you speak of). This stops them rattling around in transit and provides a decent degree of physical isolation each other and the outside of the ammo box itself.

Edited By MattyB on 26/01/2021 16:14:35

Posted by Stuart Eggerton on 26/01/2021 15:13:59:

Thank you both for your replies, I have put on order an ammo box immediately! I think the black smoke in the video with seal in place would be the rubber seal burning, that would create toxic gasses. I have a concrete floor so will keep the batteries on it maybe chocked up on two house bricks!

Store your batteries in the ammo box and outside on a slab is the safest way. Lipo fires are usually at the lowest risk whilst in storage, charging and transporting is the greater risk to them.

Posted by Stuart Eggerton on 26/01/2021 15:13:59:

Stuart re the seal and the black toxic spoke take a look at the second link i posted above - which shows thick black smoke spewing out of an ammo box with its seal removed.

I keep mine in 'Tupperware' type boxes in a near-valueless shed at the bottom of the garden. The shed also contains severely crashed model planes, burnt out electric lawnmowers and other junk we haven't 'got round to' taking to the council tip.

There is no need to overdo this stuff with safes, ammo boxes, etc. The likelyhood of lipos self-igniting (unless being actually used incorrectly at the time) is much exaggerated but DON'T keep them in your house.

Posted by DaveyP on 27/01/2021 06:59:27:

I live in a flat, where do you suggest I keep my Lipo's ?

In the cooker when it's not in use smiley

But if you feel you MUST keep them in a metal box line it with plywood or similar insulating material so the plugs cannot short out against the metal sides. Don't just rely on the inside of the box being painted.

Also when putting them in the metal box make the first one points to the left, the second one to the right, and so on so the plugs (and the balance leads) cannot short with each other.

Shorting is much more likely than 'passive' self-ignition.

I store and transport each lipo pack in it's own little bag. When transportinging they go either in a lipo sack or an ammo tin still in their bags. For storage I have a fire safe and a kiln. When charging they always go in the kiln. I never store any lipo loose where connectors could short on another pack. In the early days I used bullet connectors and you had to very very careful about storage.

Phil

In days of yore my LiPos used to live in my Office, neatly stacked in plastic boxes. Charging has always taken place outdoors on an old metal trolley - then I had a 3S 2200 self combust whilst charging (No, no idea why, which was particularly worrying.) To make matters worse, SWMBO saw the whole thing - result - all my LiPos were almost immediately cast into outer darkness. Fortuitously there were a couple of strong foam frozen food boxes courtesy of Donald Russell in the Barn waiting to be taken to the tip - brilliant - tough as old boots, snug fitting lids so damp proof. My LiPo boxes now live in a quiet corner outside away from the house - result - Marital Harmony. After the LiPo fire we wondered how our household insurance would have viewed their liability to make good any consequential damage to our property caused by a LiPo stored on the premises ( it goes without saying that if I'd been charging it indoors I reckon I'd be on my own). Probably partial liability if stored in the house? Any ideas Chaps?

Edited By Doctor Chinnery on 27/01/2021 09:38:24

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 27/01/2021 09:36:37:

In days of yore my LiPos used to live in my Office, neatly stacked in plastic boxes. Charging has always taken place outdoors on an old metal trolley - then I had a 3S 2200 self combust whilst charging (No, no idea why, which was particularly worrying.) To make matters worse, SWMBO saw the whole thing - result - all my LiPos were almost immediately cast into outer darkness. Fortuitously there were a couple of strong foam frozen food boxes courtesy of Donald Russell in the Barn waiting to be taken to the tip - brilliant - tough as old boots, snug fitting lids so damp proof. My LiPo boxes now live in a quiet corner outside away from the house - result - Marital Harmony. After the LiPo fire we wondered how our household insurance would have viewed their liability to make good any consequential damage to our property caused by a LiPo stored on the premises ( it goes without saying that if I'd been charging it indoors I reckon I'd be on my own). Probably partial liability if stored in the house? Any ideas Chaps?

Edited By Doctor Chinnery on 27/01/2021 09:38:24

Yeah. Sell your house and rent one. Then it won't matter to you if it burns down smiley

T\wo weeks ago, in Perth a council bin collection lorry , one of the ones which compact rubbish ,caught fire in the street and completely burnt out. It is reported likely to have been caused by a discarded battery being crushed. I think that lithium ion batteries can combust as well as lipo so it may have been either

I have had one lipo erupt while charging , I mistakenly set it at 3 cell instead of 2cell and did not notice the warning on the display. Luckily I charge on a concrete slab in the garage so got away with it. but it gives you a turn ,

Before I dispose of my old batteries I discharge them as far as I can by connecting them to one of my starter motors and running the motor until it stops. Then I dispose of the item in a battery re-cycling bin which we had at work. Would be interested to know of other ways to dispose of old batteries as no longer have access to my work site having now retired. Have heard of some people placing the battery is salty water but not sure what happens to the battery when you do this.