RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Posted by Klippy on 03/03/2018 09:39:20:

Thanks for the list Jose, What span and plan are you going for?

Well, I`m going with the Bryant plan that is 1/6 scale and 60" span.

At this moment I´m thinking of building Two models, one Mk 1 and another of the Spanish Fury as I`ve found some good infomation.

Will be interesting not to duplicate any tareas as the spinner. I can made a few carbon or fiberglass ( free of charge) and send to an address in UK and from there picked for the recipients.

Danny are you interested in pick an order of spinners?

José Luis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to join this build, I have built a Flair Puppeteer and a Topflite Spitfire previously but nothing as complicated as this.

I have an ASP 91 four stroke I would like to use, any views about suitability?

What is the current position with materials, should I buy the plan, laser cut wood and cowl from Sarik?

Thanks, David

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote since the beginning that I wasn't quite sure about being "adequate", Martian.

But now I'm just pleased that RCME isn't distributed in BE... cool

@ David A > welcome to the Class, but i find a bit strange that the 'organizers' didn't salute you before.

As for your question about materials, I would wait a bit longer as Danny F is supposed to come with a proper solution in due time. Some more patience, I guess.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 09/04/2018 17:31:22

For anybody interested, the chap that's been building his Fury on the thread I started in RC Groups has come a long way with it. He came up with a novel approach to the oversize stock aluminum spinner. Cheers!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2548913-Hawker-Fury-Mk-1/page7#post39478381

Hi David, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Richard used a 1.20 glow motor and thought that was about right, not sure about the 91, I guess it will depend on how light you build, though with a biplane the drag is the more important cause for concern. I dare say it will fly on the 91, I am just not sure of the amount of authority you will have.

Things have been very busy for me, on many fronts, and haven't got much further with the laser parts, both balsa, glass and brass. Hopefully do a bit more now that the indoor Nats are behind me. (Actually didn't take place, cancelled due to poor weather). But my column is due so that will take my attention away again I am afraid.

Anyway welcome to the build David.

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Well I know you think I am still faffing with tiny indoor models, but you will be pleased to know I have just about finished the CAD work on the Fury parts. I have no idea how Dylan and the other cad peeps do this so fast, my fingers are locked into a "mouse-gripping" shape. Still some double checking to be done

Anyway looking at the cowl, I think making it from balsa with lith bulges will be easier than making a mold etc. so that's the route I am going to take. I will see about some glass hinge parts, and perhaps a vac formed spinner, but we will have to see. The most important thing is to get the balsa parts done.

There are a good few parts.......

fus parts so far 2.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/05/2018 00:31:28

Hi Danny, I've been looking at the plans for the Hawker Fury. What a great project.

There are quite a few wee brass bits to be cut out.

If there is enough interest, I could prepare artwork to have them acid etched. Also, I could include windscreen frames, pilot goggles, buckles, and any other bits. The quality is superb, and a huge amount of detail can be included.

Its expensive for one or two, but, the more we need, the more the price comes down

ernie

Good grief Danny. That is a lot of work. Thank you very much. I was going to do the wing ribs using profilli As I find its more accurate than tracing.

Ernie. What sort of price is 'expensive'? Hard to make a judgement without having some indication.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, if you are going to get bits cut, you may as well get ALL the bits cut. I have literally traced any balsa or ply that is not straight. And some of the straight bits too!! I have also done a cut file for the glass fibre board parts, hinges horns etc.

I sent the files of for a quote today thinking that you, Andy and myself would want a set. When I get a price then I will feed that back.

Ernie that's a great idea and please if you can feed back any ideas on a price then that would be good. I have looked and I didn't think that there were that many to make. Added to that, not all patterns are drawn on the plan.

I would only be interested in the rigging fittings, but I am sure the others would be keen. Dont forget Tony Bennet is doing 3D bits for this too

Cheers

Danny

Hi chaps, just heard back from Tina, and the wood and glass hinges quote wont be ready for a couple of weeks as the guys on hols....
Thats 6 sets by my estimate. Hopefully numbers may bring the price down
Nice one Tony, i am sure there is scope for a mix of materials. I will be using blue foam in place of soft balsa block. Also may substitute lite ply for heavier birch ply in certain areas.
Should be entertaining.
I will use the lull to draw and lay out the motor and cells.
Cheers
Danny