Replacing Broken DX6 Transmitter Switch

Neil67

The long 'D' three position switch on my DX6 is now bent after a minor mishap and needs replaced.  Having looked on the web it seems a relatively straight forward replacement with some minor soldering if you can source a replacement.  I am reluctant to send my radio to a repair company given current time and costs being quoted and importantly losing flying time.  In the meantime I have reassigned the the function to another switch but would still like to replace the long switch.

The options appear to be source a new switch, eg FrSky Taranis X9D Plus Q X7 Transmitter 3 Position Long Toggle Remote Control Switch from Banggood or similar as quoted on some of the You Tube videos, which claim it works, but you need the one with a nut as it is a different thread from the original.

Has anybody gone down this route and/or any other advice/options.  Any known suppliers of switch in UK.

Neil

I have not replaced that particular switch but if going for a 3rd party I would simply double check the action and electrical connections are the same as that being replaced. I did swap a switch on the 6i (I seem to recall swapping throttle cut pushbutton for a toggle). No real drama. Everything was quite accessible.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a n other manufacturer's switch, if you cannot get it via official parts/sales network.

As far as I know that long toggle is just one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-toggle-switch-On-Off-On-LONG-FLAT-Shaft-X-2/163318235728?hash=item2606868250:g:sfIAAOSwMWpbxfUK

Nuts are a common size, I thought.

Caveat all that with the thing being out of guarantee.

I damaged a switch on a DX8 G1 and Al at Al's hobbies talked me into buying the Spektrum spare part and DIY, at least you know its a genuine part. Since then and during COVID lockdowns I took my TX's to  Logic RC (John) very helpful and super fast, no problem that couldn't be fixed and the latest firmware versions popped in so highly recommended.

Logic RC - Spektrum Support

I've just replaced one on a Futaba FF8, I bought genuine from the Redline shop on ebay, I'd rather buy the real thing and pay the extra from an established shop. It arrived in a couple of days. What's the difference between the Futaba switch and Spektrum?

Edited by Phil McCavity

5 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

I've just replaced one on a Futaba FF8, I bought genuine from the Redline shop on ebay, I'd rather buy the real thing and pay the extra from an established shop. It arrived in a couple of days. What's the difference nice between the Futaba switch and Spektrum?

What's the Redline Shop @Phil McCavity?

You write about it as though it's an established "real" shop, but then say it's on ebay, so I'm confused. My experience of ebay is that it's the last place I'd go if I was looking for the real thing.

9 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

I've heard of Steve Webb. Bought loads of servos from Servo Shop. Never heard of Redline Shop. If they are real shops, where does eBay come into it and why not go direct? I don't understand.

Some mainstream, well known chaps who supply us year after year Gary

Do put special offers and end of line items onto eBay to move them

EBay is a much maligned, but a huge shop window for the seller, and even worldwide sales if you choose to go down that route

12 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

My experience of ebay is that it's the last place I'd go if I was looking for the real thing.

As above, many genuine shops put things on ebay.

It works for many as a low cost route to doing a shopfront.

I forget what the figure is, but there is a point in turnover where having your own website becomes more attractive, but a website is definitely an overhead, and for small operations Ebay is lower overhead and gets you a lot of exposure to customers who may not not have heard of your particular shop.

Case in point, redline RC,

have their own web operation https://www.redlinerc.co.uk

and also an ebay store https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/redlinerc

I've learnt something there but still not sure of a couple of things.

1. How can you be sure that the eBay shops are genuinely run by the retailers of the same name and not just some random trader taking advantage of the name? I don't recall for example, seeing any links to an eBay site on Steve Webb (or Redline).

2. How do you find these shops on eBay? I've searched for "Redline RC" and found lots of items with "Redline RC" in the title, but I've not found the shop. Similarly, searching for Steve Webb and Servoshop finds nothing. 

PS apologies for the thread drift, but hopefully it's of some benefit to others.

Edited by Gary Manuel

18 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

I've learnt something there but still not sure of a couple of things.

1. How can you be sure that the eBay shops are genuinely run by the retailers of the same name and not just some random trader taking advantage of the name? I don't recall for example, seeing any links to an eBay site on Steve Webb (or Redline).

PS apologies for the thread drift, but hopefully it's of some benefit to others.

If you look at Nigel R's link to the Redline RC website and scroll down to the bottom you will find the address of the shop.

Now follow his link to the ebay version of Redline RC, select and open any item, then scroll down the page, and you will come to the supplier's address which is the same as the one in the other link.

Dick

• Like 1

Thank's @Dickw.

So it relies on a bit of detective work to convince yourself that they are the same traders, but at least there's a way. ?

I've also partly answered my own question number 2. Not sure how to do it on mobile phone because the option isn't there, but on desktop, if you click on the word "advanced" at the side of the search button, it brings this up - select Find Shops.

image.png.260a18d2682a6dcec499e2140f529fce.png

Then enter search string.

image.png.b470f8a399b5b4c484fc3e11ffccc225.png

Results appear. This particular one also partly helps with my first question as it cross references to the proper site.

image.thumb.png.8d2d8efa29ebca440321d5ee9e1abc1b.png

Edited by Gary Manuel
Resized images

Yes you have it, a small amount of detective work, but once you have a few sellers saved in your list it is easy to return to them.

I find Ebay is on many occasions cheaper and quicker than going via individual shop websites, if just ordering a few knick knacks like hinges or knife blades or ball links.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with eBay provided you take some care. Check the sellers  feedback score for negative or neutral posts. Don't forget that some buyers are idiots and post negative feedback due to their inability or incompetence to use an item and always blame the seller.

If it's a "buy it now " item and appears too cheap or too good to be true it probably is. 

Have used eBay for years an only had a couple of bad guys from chancers but PayPal or eBay sorted it. 

Have bought some expensive tools and car parts from all over the world with no problems.

Have also sold stuff all around the world via eBay . Will never get rich on selling but will nearly always find a buyer.

Shipping is never " free " it's included and often greatly subsidised if buying from China while too expensive from Australia.

Overall eBay is a great but be careful as you would be in any auction.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Nothing wrong with eBay provided you take some care. Check the sellers  feedback score for negative or neutral posts. Don't forget that some buyers are idiots and post negative feedback due to their inability or incompetence to use an item and always blame the seller.

If it's a "buy it now " item and appears too cheap or too good to be true it probably is. 

Have used eBay for years an only had a couple of bad guys from chancers but PayPal or eBay sorted it. 

Have bought some expensive tools and car parts from all over the world with no problems.

Have also sold stuff all around the world via eBay . Will never get rich on selling but will nearly always find a buyer.

Shipping is never " free " it's included and often greatly subsidised if buying from China while too expensive from Australia.

Overall eBay is a great but be careful as you would be in any auction.

My experience exactly. For example, I was able to sell some motorcycle parts I had which were now of no use to me personally but I knew would be invaluable to a restorer ie magdynos and magnetos as well as a load of literature and genuine manufacturers' workshop manuals.  I sold an Ariel (Lucas) magdyno to a guy in Finland IIRC and the postage was as much as the price he paid (about £60!) but he needed it for his rebuild. So we were both happy.

I've also bought models and collected them from people who were really not much different from me - enthusiasts who were 'clearing the decks' for a new project.  EBay is a brilliant source used sensibly.

• Thanks 1