DLE starting procedures

Sam Longley

On 15/06/2021 at 09:33, Engine Doctor said:

Yes , the diaphragm can go hard . Just serviced the club Strimmer and found the diaphragm had gone hard. If the middle part was moved it clicked  like piece of plastic !

As you say , service kits are so cheap just do the service anyway. From September ( I think)  our petrol will be changed from E5 to E10 meaning 10% ethanol and this will cause more problems with pumped carbs after any lay up. Also expect to see an increase of engine bearing failure due to rust caused by water absorption in the fuel.

E5 fuel is bad enough but E10 will cause more corrosion and agro .

I’ll be looking into using Aspen fuel in the future. Does it come premixed or not?

On 10/06/2021 at 20:21, Don Fry said:

one provocative view, why do we mess with these petrol motors. Glow motors are simply easier technology at this size. Go fly. Full stop. But then we do fuel proofer. 

Perceived as easier, sold as easier, fashion, see also the myth of expensive and hard to get glow fuel, manufacturers sell what customers want.

I agree, up to a handful of horsepower, glow is a simpler beast, a methanol carb does not demand a pump and regulator.

Whether fuel proofing is a hardship is another topic. For average sport models with film covering, I find not really. Complex spray painted scale jobs, different shrimp in a different kettle perhaps. Clean up at end of session, two or three minutes of spray/wipe, not a big deal.

• Like 1

This thread and the fact that I haven't flown any of my petrol engined models for a while has got me thinking. I'll not be using the gallon or so of pre-mixed fuel and I'll be replacing it with "Super" grade E5 for the reasons discussed above.

Question is, how do I safely dispose of the unused petrol? A few years ago, I'd have had fun causing a huge whoooosh - bang, but that doesn't feel appropriate these days.

My 'tuppence', although most has been said,

I only use 98 octaine in france, it's the only petrol without ethanol, and 3% motul synthetic oil, Aspen is too expensive for me.

replacement carb kit from ebbot ref wat K10 or wat K20 will be around 4€

have you done the 'pop up' pressure around 1 kilo ?.

When regulating the carb, don't forget that the low needle is always putting fuel in the engine so it will modify the H needle setting.

• 1 month later...