Wot4 IC - To build or not to build?

Andy C

Since my search for a second hand pre built WOT4 has delivered no success, I am now considering buying a kit version and building it myself.  I have built a few planes so not new to it, but I struggle for time and also find myself procrastinating a lot during the build when it comes to things such as control links and engine mounting.  Therefore wondered what everyone's experiences are when building the WOT4, either classic or Mk3?  Should I bother?

Thanks

Edited by Andy C
  • Like 1

• Andy C changed the title to Wot4 IC - To build or not to build?

hello andy,

if you intend buying a kit which i would, I would say go for it, trace all the parts on a piece of wall paper in case you need to do a rebuild...dont worry too much about engine mounts,or control links,just use what is current...you wont go wrong............the Wots are a lot of fun and tried and tested design...whats/Wot's not to like.

ken anderson...ne..1 wots dept.

Hi Andy  ARTF are quick build nice to fly but first heavy landing tip stall etc and the weak spots show up and sometimes difficult to repair

A kit built model has a lot of strength in its build,  engine mounts servo set ups etc in  a chris for kit are well explained 

Even the  set up on movements are given 

Only down side is the final covering but it does get easier as you start

Happy Building 

Yup, get a kit. They are very easy to build and you can change anything you like. They also offer alternative firewall positions for 2/4 cycle ic.... don't know if ARTF does.  Individual finish is another added bonus - it is a nice easy plane to cover.

Recommend a dual servo wing setup - not sure if the kit now offers this.

Have fun building.......

GG

If time and space allow get the kit, as others have said wayyyyy more rugged. Just look at how many old kit built are still around.

I'm with ED, IMO the MK3 looks and fly's better and the GRP upgrade is well worth the extra.

Worth the effort ?

The other advantage of a kit is that you can be sure of all the joints and quality of components. With an ARTF, you never really know if there are duff joints or sub standard bits of wood in there. Hardware, in my experience, tends to be a bit naff in ARTF models as well and a kit allows you to change things to suit your needs. 

Take your time, enjoy the build and you'll still be flying it in many years time. There's a reason that the kit is still in production. 

My experience of assembling 2 of the Ripmax ARTF options is that they were both well constructed and as far as I could see used decent quality wood. I did strengthen the u/c mount on both as I considered this area to be a bit weak. Hardware was binned as I prefer my own choice for clevises etc. My electric one has been flown many times and considering that it is vastly overpowered (5 or 6s) is still in one piece and still brings a smile to my face!

Not all ARTFs are poorly constructed!

Absolutely true Ron, I think the point I was making (badly?) was that with an ARTF it is sometimes hard to tell and harder to correct, but a kit gives you a bit more control maybe. You can at least junk a duff piece of wood, rather than being stuck with it. 

Edited by Matt Carlton

Agree with you Matt, if you don't know the pedigree it can be a pain. I had that experience with a Seagull Models P40, the Laser 240v ripped out the firewall and on closer inspection the build quality was a bit like a pile of poo. My Great Planes ARTFs on the other hand are really well constructed that is why I was confident altering the Giant Super Sportster to house the Laser 200i.

I think there is an element of "caveat emptor" about some (not all) ARTF models which people can ignore at times. If a kit costs £150 and an ARTF of a similar model is £120, that rings alarm bells for me. That saving has gone somewhere. I'd rather pay a bit more for an ARTF if it meant having a bit more confidence in it. 

The classic wot4 was originally a plan pack with a plan and a foam wing. That plan was until very recently available from Yesterday aeromodelling plans service they also supplied a built up wing plan for it, which of course the wottie did not have. A swift google failed to find that company. There is however a company on eBay selling wing ribs for it. That Mk1 w4 built from the plan with built up wings is a dream to fly, just as all foswots are. 

Does he mean this? Surely not.

I built a Wot Not a few years ago using an old fun fly wing I had and a fuselage built from tracings I made around the Wot 4 Classic parts. Crazy oversized control surfaces and well overpowered by a Saito 82. Flew well but self destructed due to control surface flutter during a powered vertical dive.

DSCN4381.thumb.JPG.207e8f523a85429d1a2e5c58ebc2313e.JPG

DSCN4367.thumb.JPG.32c6c8ab0ad7909630b205d77e305697.JPG

Edited by Gary Manuel