Rib Plotting by Computer

Hi Guys

Problem solved, or at least kc solved it for me, in a roundabout sort of way.

Here's the deal.

When I click on the  pdf file I get a some options. One is marked 'save file', pretty obvious, and another is marked 'open file in Firefox (my default browser).

What I've never used is a third option marked 'other'.

Anyway, clicked on that and one of the options was 'Acrobat DC'. After kc's mention, thought it was worth a try, so clicked on that.

Print page came up with all the options already set, except for cut marks, which I'll tick on the next run.

So, tile printed on that and it came out exactly right. Woo hoo!

Still can't get my head round why Acrobat produced the right result, where Firefox didn't, but I'm not really worried.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, but especially kc who set me on the right track.

All I have now is the minor issue of building the damn thing. This will involve balsa and sharp knives. At least I know something about those.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 2

Great!   

Could I have a copy of the pdf?   Just in case I damage my foam wing version and need a new wing in future.

You might suggest to the man in Toronto that he could get a bit of recogntion for his effort if he submitted the airfoil pdf to Outerzone to compliment the Chilli Wind plan file.    Helps everyone.

Hi Guys

kc

After all your help, that's the least I could do. Expect a pm shortly.

Need to get in touch to tell him I've found a solution, so I'll pass on your suggestion about Outerzone.

Brian

Not sure if it's a bit cheeky to make his design public. What I'll do is to pm you the information, same as kc.

Expect pm shortly.

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Cottrell 2

24 minutes ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Not sure if it's a bit cheeky to make his design public. What I'll do is to pm you the information, same as kc.

Expect pm shortly.

Thanks Jeff, received fine. The rib outlines look good.

I'll definitely get my CW started and built for the winter.

Brian

Cannot see the problems with using Profili, even the basic free version. If I can use it then anybody can. It will do trapezoidal (tapered) or elliptical like a Spit with ease.

Assuming that your wing has a symmetrical section, try starting with RAF 30 then go into `modify section` and change the thickness if necessary. You can add spar cut outs and build tabs (essential) and have a different thickness from root to tip if you wish, the program will compute the ones in between and if longer than A4 will show cut and join lines. Tell it how many ribs you need and print each one in turn. Don`t try gluing  the paper to balsa because the glue will make the ribs stretch. Simply pin down and trace round with a fine felt tip pen.

You can probably import the sections from your plan but I would not have a clue as to how you do that.

Martin is right - Profili is easy to use.

For accuracy- printing the ribs, fixing them onto balsa with double sided tape and then cutting right through paper into the balsa cannot be beaten!   On thin sections leaving a large margin of paper helps avoid the paper distorting.   All the parts of a plan including formers can be photo copied and cut this way.   On thick ply just score the wood and cut with a saw.

Thanks to Jeff - we have had an interesting discussion on various subjects and the problem has now been solved by an international effort.

Gentleman

I wish you would stop saying something is easy, where for me at least it's certainly not.

So, downloaded free copy of Profili, in the computer as Profili XT.

Found a suitable aerofoil for a play. Printed that out ok.

Went to the next tab and added spars, le, te. Went to print that and confronted by a message saying unregistered user could not print at that stage.

Ok, I'll fall for it.

Filled in the registration form which said a registered copy would cost 60 euro.

Not for me it won't.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Jeff

Peter

Is there a demo copy of Compufoil I can download, just for a play.

All I can see is the base program, at $39, but if I want to generate intermediate ribs I have to have the 'Lofting' module for another $21, and if I want to add spars etc, a 'Spar Slot' module fort another $13.

I can see why you, as a prolific model designer, would find almost constant use for this software, but all I want to do is to have a play with this, see whether I can get some sort of handle on how to use it.

Jeff

I have devWing which is related to profili, I believe the newer version in many respects. As above, contact the author through the website. He has always been prompt to reply when I have contacted him.

Profili standard is 25E and the next version up (XT) is 60E.

60E is a million miles from profiteering. I might be biased. Software is my day job.

18 hours ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Peter

Is there a demo copy of Compufoil I can download, just for a play.

All I can see is the base program, at $39, but if I want to generate intermediate ribs I have to have the 'Lofting' module for another $21, and if I want to add spars etc, a 'Spar Slot' module fort another $13.

I can see why you, as a prolific model designer, would find almost constant use for this software, but all I want to do is to have a play with this, see whether I can get some sort of handle on how to use it.

Jeff

I don't know if there is a demo version. Have a look at the compufoil website.

I bought mine a very long time ago, must be getting on for 20 years ago. In those days you got most of it in the main set and it was only a few things like 3D view etc that were extras.  I think I paid $50 in those days

On 26/09/2021 at 18:39, Martin McIntosh said:

Sorry to hear about the 60 Euro charge, it was 10 E when I got mine. Talk about inflation/profiteering.

Writing a useful programme, supporting it, updating it and responding to a limited number of users and then wanting to cover expenses and maybe earn some money? Shocking!

Not inflation/profiteering at all.

Hi Nigel, thanks for your interest.

I did solve it, but more by luck than judgment.

Always in the past used my default browser, Firefox, to open pdf files.

In an earlier post kc mentioned he used Acrobat DC to open his files. Delved around and found I had that as an option, so tried it, and printed out perfectly.

Lesson learned, will be using that in future. Still have no idea why it worked, but do I care?

Now to get building. Balsa and sharp knives. At last something I know about!!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

There is now also a set of ribs plotted to be printed on A4 paper details are here and its the top set at item (hash) 25 that is A4.    All by Harry of Edmonton, Canada.   Thanks Harry great effort.

I opened in Adobe readerDC &  printed a set out on just 3 sheets A4 and it looks perfect at fuselage on my plan which was printed from the Outerzone pdf plan.  

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 00:26, Martin McIntosh said:

Don`t try gluing  the paper to balsa because the glue will make the ribs stretch.

I use A4 label paper for ribs, formers etc. No stretch issues & the paper comes off the wood without any problem.

A bit of careful positioning of the parts' images on the paper before printing for best use of the paper.