Paint in engine.

J D 8

I went flying the other day with my old ARC Jupiter. A good aircraft to have a thrash about when conditions are a bit rough.

It is my most flown model with its original RED Irvine 46 having reliably pulled it around the sky for years. 

At the field when starting it suddenly went stiff, was down on power and would not tick over even when trimmed up some.

Turning it by hand one could feel it was stiff and a bit graunchy. Thought a bearing was on the way out, on this 20 year plus engine so packed up.

Today I pulled the motor and stripped it to find that the red paint inside the engine fuel/air passages had peeled and was gumming thing up. Bit daft to leave paint inside the casing I recon. You can see a bit beside the engine in the pic and perhaps some more of the remains inside I am scraping out with a bit old credit card. Anyone come across this before ?

As piston, liner and compression are still good will renew bearings and hope to be good to go again

46 casing.JPG

Irvine 46.JPG

• Sad 1

Advert

Engine has been in the Jupiter for twenty years and used as winter hack for many years [ two aileron connections, one wing bolt and away to go ] 

Fuel ? Well you name it its probably had it. I moved away from castor years ago but it will have seen plenty in younger days. Head is very coated but the casing is still clean and tidy .

Nothing is bent or broken, rear bearing is a bit worn but still spins now the gungy old peeling coating has been removed and I am sure that what it is/was as have been able to scrape away more from the inner parts of the casing. I guess the old coating decided to give up and turn to glue. I wondered if anyone else had seen this ?

Not complaining, this engine has done me very well and will go on again once cleaned up with new bearings.

• Like 2

I used to use only model technics straight castor fuel then 5percent nitro in my then new magnum gp40.

Yes it did get a little grubby but was easy to clean, mainly so cooling was as oe.

My local club then started to sell an other brand of fuel which I used, quite a bit off.

This also made the engine grubby leaving a clear hard varnish type coating on the outside of the engine, quite similar in appearance to that on your Irvine.

It was much more difficult to removed, but ran well enough on that fuel.

Gold something or other it was. I don't have the gallon plastic container anymore....

How do people using Weston's fuel get on, grubby engine result or clean engine ?

Weston's do not use castor in any of Thier fuels I was told when I asked them.

I use model technics fuels now with castor.

I am not knocking Weston's fuels, I my have to buy that in future, a good deal on 4 gallons mail order, free delivery...

Edited by Rich Griff

I am having trouble getting the rear bearing out, the usual heat the casing and whack on lump of wood is not working. Problem is the coating limits how hot you can get it without damage. The red coating is still in good order and I would like to keep it. Went to my local Lawn mower chap this morning but none of his internal bearing pullers would fit.:classic_sad:

Head cleaned up well though after a good boiling and then a Dremel with rotary stainless steel brush.

46 head.JPG

Got rear bearing out, Found in my box of bits an old type expanding bolt used to fix things into concreate. Once tightened in the bearing inner it gripped very well, a spin then made sure it was only holding in the bearing and not the casing. 

A dose of boiling water over the casing and then set up as in pic then two good taps had it out. :classic_biggrin: 

The one with the blue pipe on it was a first attempt with a Rawl bolt but it did not grip enough.

expandind bolt puller.JPG

bearing out.JPG

tools used.JPG

• Like 4

All going good, bearings in fine and all spinning nice, then fitted the prop driver with its collet and did up a prop in the normal way only for everything to lock up solid.

Prop driver had split making it jam on the casing.:classic_sad: It is an old very used engine.

Ah well, another one will turn up sometime.

• Sad 1