Suitable covering

TH

Hi All,

Has anybody any suggestions about covering my Fieseler Storch 156, from a plan by Dennis Bryant / Model World. I was thinking of completing the tailplanes in 0.8 balsa but don't have any idea what else to use on the Fus and Wings. (Having  got back into building fairly recently, the last thing I covered was using tissue and dope so ignorance reigns with respect to what modern stuff is available for this). Any help gratefully considered.

Many thanks in advance

Tony.

Advert

Lightweight Ceconite, from LAS aerospace. Apply using balsaloc, or heat setting interlining glue from haberdashers. Seal with non shrink dope and paint.

Cheap, comes 2 meters wide, and as many years long as you want. I can’t fault the stuff where you are applying paint anyway. 

14 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Ceconite Fabric LAS Aerospace Ltd

that's a good bit of info Don. ?

You've gotta love that it is still sold by the yard....! ?

@Don Fry, I am intrigued by this stuff though ... How does the lightweight version compare to tissue and dope over an open structure? Would it be a good option for the 40" VMC Spitfire I am considering?

image.thumb.png.68c327f08c521116e7ffb18b235b75dd.png

Edited by MattyB

I think Don answered how it's used  a few days ago.

There are 'Engineers Notes' about using Ceconite here - it would seem that this applies to models just the same way.

At £9.49 a yard plus VAT and shipping  it seems cheap because it's 70 inches wide while Solartex and most others are only about 24 inches wide.    It says Lightweight Ceconite is 1.8 ounces per square yard which seems light enough.   The question is why haven't we known and used this for years instead of Solartex?

Edited by kc

37 minutes ago, kc said:

It says Lightweight Ceconite is 1.8 ounces per square yard which seems light enough.   The question is why haven't we known and used this for years instead of Solartex?

Ceconite is glued to the structure & doped after it is applied.

From Ceconite's Website:

image.thumb.png.d98bb365fd296baa17ab96a9dcc9cb61.png

image.thumb.png.268f7587d072d7ce46e408995a3ed634.png

The adhesive & finish on models may be less critical than those quoted above but there is a bit more to its application than there is for  dedicated model coverings.

Ceconite is deservedly popular on full size light aircraft but the steps in its application has led to varieties of modelling Oratex being used as an alternative in the full size world. https://www.betteraircraftfabric.com 

"Oratex represents a major breakthrough in aircraft fabric covering systems. No solvents, no paint, no stench, no exposure to toxic chemicals of any kind. Just glue it, shrink it, and fly!

Easy and Fun to Apply

Covering an airplane used to be a long and involved process. Oratex is different. The builder doesn't need to apply any coatings at all. Just glue it, shrink it, and you're done!

Covering with Oratex is fun!

Covering with the legacy systems is nasty! Prolonged exposure to dangerous chemicals and hours of tedious sanding, always working with a respirator and protective clothing."

1 hour ago, kc said:

The question is why haven't we known and used this for years instead of Solartex?

Solartex is easy to use, comes in a lot of colours and doesn't need any finishing, making it friendly on the nose, the lungs and the household. That swings it for the majority of modellers I suspect. 

Sadly, the "is" has become a "was" , so we might have to go back to some more labour intensive methods. 

Intetested in giving it a try though! 

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

You've gotta love that it is still sold by the yard....! ?

@Don Fry, I am intrigued by this stuff though ... How does the lightweight version compare to tissue and dope over an open structure? Would it be a good option for the 40" VMC Spitfire I am considering?

image.thumb.png.68c327f08c521116e7ffb18b235b75dd.png

Lightweight ceconite,  when doped and painted is a replacement for Solartex. It’s a heat shrink fabric. LAS aerospace give instructions for use. They do a glue for it but it’s expensive, messy, stinks. Balsaloc is fine. 

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

£10 a yard, so what is it, how do you apply it etc ?.

thanks.

See above Paul. BTW there is a French distributor. It nice to use, shrinks well, and a big winner where you want to paint a surface as it’s got no paint on already. My assessment is when painted it’s the same weight as Solattex.

2 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Thanks,

I remember doping some nylon stuff in the 70's could that have been it ?.

No, this a heat shrink fabric, think Solartex, without the glue, without the paint. I buy the fabric only, and then use model shop dope. Bet the water based stuff would be fine.

Well since solatex is no more the best solution(affordable) is either Diatex 1000 or Diacov both the same but Diacov has heat glue applied to it and the other you use a heat adhesive  only applied where you need it so saves a bit of weight.

The weight difference between the two is Diatex 1000  is 49g/m²  and Diacov is100g/m²  so a good weight saving can be had if needed.

The best think about it there is no need for using smelly dope, just paint (flexible paint not brittle varnishes) your finish see manufactures details. also with ditex 1000 if you want you can used non shrinking Nitrocellulose for adhesion.

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Found a French supplier of 16g m2 silk, 8.50€ le metre linier 82cm wide,, as I have plenty of dope and paint so my Kwik fli

kit arriving tomorrow will be covered in that,,?

"better the devil that you know than the one that you don't"?

I have dreams of long young ladies, clad in wisps of silk. Not had too much thoughts lately on aircraft so covered.
I remember bits being warped out of shape. That is not, I hasten to add, the long young lady.