Model Technics Laser 5% (with Klotz Oil) (15%oil) glow fuel.

DCW

Hi All.

I think that this is one for Jon. I recently purchased the new (red) laser fuel from Model Technics, (Optimix), not the low oil variant and used it for the first time today (08/10/22). I decided to check the fuel out on my trusty old OS 48. After the first flight the underside of the aircraft was coated in oil with black streaks evident. Also dripping out of the silencer was very black blobs of oil. When using the old purple fuel this never happened, in fact after 26 flights, about seven hours flying time with this engine, (OS 48), I never even needed to clean the underside of the aircraft and the inside of the cowl was always dry. I used the old purple fuel, (15% oil) in all engines not just Lasers and the engines never ran so well, never overheated and most of the time I didn't even need to use an electric starter. I will not be using this fuel again until after Jon's advice.

Many thanks

David

Hi David

Did you re tune the engine much after changing fuel? I ask as the new fuel does demand a retune on both needles to get the engine running cleanly. In all of the engines i have switched to it i have needed to lean the needles, slow run in particular. As the FS 48 uses an air bleed carb the adjustment will be reversed so opening the screw leans vs a twin needle carb where 'tightening' leans. This might explain the oily mess. 

Denis's comments about the black streaks are perfectly valid. If most of the oil is red/dirty red brown colour with only a few streaks  then it is likely to be as he suggests. I use this fuel in my enya 53 and OS FS40 and both really like it. I have also run an OS52 i am repairing on it, but this has only been bench run so far before ending up in a flair pup (i hope). I will ultimately transition all of my non laser engines to it but i am all over the place with fuels at the moment as my fleet are configured for 5 different fuels at the moment! The joys of testing things i guess. 

IN the end i will settle on the 15% and 7% laser fuels, i just need to burn through the stocks of older fuel i have on the models that still use it. 

There’s no fuel like the old fuel!

Sorry about the title, just couldn't resist it, not strictly true I know, but now it’s time to put things to the test. Experimenting with my now ancient OS48, I completed two ten minute flights with the old purple fuel and two flights with the new Optifuel, (branded Technics), variant. Both Laser fuel with 15% oil. The fuel tank was completely drained and filled up with the old purple fuel. Two flights were completed with the engine setting as before fully leaned out. After these two flights I removed the plug for inspection, no blackening was noted. Next turning the engine over I noted any dripping oil from the exhaust, this was almost clear. After fully emptying the tank it was filled with Optifuel Laser fuel, the carburettor airblead screw was leaned slightly, about one quarter turn anti-clockwise. Starting the engine the main needle valve was fully leaned out for maximum rpm. This was about 30-40 degrees more than with the old fuel. Two flights were completed and an inspection was carried out. The plug was blackened around the base but the element was perfectly clear. As before residue emanating from the exhaust was notably black.

The old purple fuel is no longer available and if any retailer had some it would probably be old stock. Therefore there being no other choice I will persevere with the new stuff and next try it in a Laser 70.

Happy landings

David

22 minutes ago, DCW said:

As before residue emanating from the exhaust was notably black.

The only notable origin for black oil residue is from metal moving parts usually aluminium.

Something inside the silencer, usually the baffle, or sometimes the cone in some silencers, is moving and rubbing creating the mess.

A part should fall off eventually due to this vibration and wear, and the oil will run clear.

1 hour ago, DCW said:

There’s no fuel like the old fuel!

Sorry about the title, just couldn't resist it, not strictly true I know, but now it’s time to put things to the test. Experimenting with my now ancient OS48, I completed two ten minute flights with the old purple fuel and two flights with the new Optifuel, (branded Technics), variant. Both Laser fuel with 15% oil. The fuel tank was completely drained and filled up with the old purple fuel. Two flights were completed with the engine setting as before fully leaned out. After these two flights I removed the plug for inspection, no blackening was noted. Next turning the engine over I noted any dripping oil from the exhaust, this was almost clear. After fully emptying the tank it was filled with Optifuel Laser fuel, the carburettor airblead screw was leaned slightly, about one quarter turn anti-clockwise. Starting the engine the main needle valve was fully leaned out for maximum rpm. This was about 30-40 degrees more than with the old fuel. Two flights were completed and an inspection was carried out. The plug was blackened around the base but the element was perfectly clear. As before residue emanating from the exhaust was notably black.

The old purple fuel is no longer available and if any retailer had some it would probably be old stock. Therefore there being no other choice I will persevere with the new stuff and next try it in a Laser 70.

Happy landings

David

Got any photos? Im curious to see what you mean exactly by 'black'. Are we talking chalkboard, piano, bbq sausage? Im not trying to be difficult just understand what you are seeing as i have not replicated it on any of my own engines. 

Black with a metallic sheen is the classic aluminium powder and oil combo, but the red dye in the fuel can also turn a funny colour when heated. This is often a very dark brown but could fade to black. The 360v in my sea fury has always emitted dark oil from the breather pipe as it works hard and i do not spare the horses. Inspections have shown no problems with it though

Petrol engines usually emit black goo as well and many of their oils start off red in colour so it might just be the dye. 

Another possibility is the new oil is having some sort of detergent effect on built up carbon within the engine and is flushing it out. Even synthetic oils burn off eventually and ML70 does burn to a brown or black stain over time. Its not going to coke up the engine like castor, but it may stain it. 

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I flew with my laser 70 ( or there about ) with french 'Technofuel' complaints about smelly castor oil 🥳, leaned it out nearly a 1/4 of a turn o

Really?  Whatever anybody thinks about it’s drawbacks versus synthetic oil, the aroma (I couldn’t possibly refer to it as a smell) has never raised a complaint in any comments I’ve read.  

My personal dislike is the soapy smell given off by the old Laser fuel - but opinions on this may vary!

• Like 1

Sorry to be sort of off-post but can anyone tell me what this fuel is ?

To my eyes it is green and it is supposed to be 5% Laser.

Cheers

Laser.thumb.jpg.a9f33c6e67274fab7270455114f67822.jpg

What ever it is I'm not impressed. It is not like the 5% Laser I had previously. I know things have changed but I'm a bit confused.

Edited by John Wagg

Did you buy it new John or 2nd hand?

Either way there are only a few options:

Its some dish soap someone put in a laser5 bottle

Its the old 'purple' model technics made fuel but something really strange has happened to it

Its the optifuel manufactured 'purple' fuel but its green as their dyes were done differently. 

Incidentally, whats up with it?

17 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

The light purple coloured fuels had a tendency to change colour to a dirty green/grey  , as above if exposed to sunlight. Fuel still OK but looked horrible. If in doubt dump it and get some fresh . It's cheaper than buying a new engine ..... if you can find one .

I found ML70 oiled fuels went sort of brown when old 😕 The thing that strikes me about the fuel in the photo is its opacity. It looks like green milk rather than a green clear liquid like methanol. 

Could some water have got into it? 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Appreciate the replies and thanks.

I bought this from Leeds Model Shop 8/3/22 this year.

Model Technics Laser 05 5L Nitro Glow Fuel MTLS5

It doesn't seem to develop full power and I have difficulty in getting a reliable idle.

This is on an engine (SC30FS) that ran very well on both Optifuel 5% and original Laser 5.

Yes it starts and runs but doesn't feel right. Not done any real tests to compare.

I've not done much flying this year generally because of the weather so it's lasting a long time.

I suppose I should have queried it at the time but with the changes that Laser 5 etc were going through I just assumed it was OK.

Especially when people were saying that the new Laser fuel required the settings tweaking also helped settle suspicions.

It's only recently when forum members mentioned purple and red colouring that started me wondering why is mine is green.🤢

Actually looks worse in a clear jar than in the plastic container.

247768189_Lasersoup.thumb.jpg.209e3b1cb6a4473205521a5437553000.jpg

Edit - By the way the exhaust residue is clear. Very sorry for the post diversion.

Edited by John Wagg

Have never seen fuel that colour or cloudy ? Even heavily water contaminated fuel will sart readily but also stops without warning. I wouldn't be happy with that and would dump it . I'd also have a word with the supplier or shop where  I bought it and see if there were any other complaints or similar events. Its possible it was a one off contaminated container.

Edited by Engine Doctor

Shame its not paint. Its about the right colour for a Spitfire...

Anyway, it looks wrong to me and agree with ED

As that fuel (ml70 technics by opti) is now dead if this is the last you have then i would use it for weedkiller on the path or keep it for washing engines/parts in the future. I would also let optifuel know directly with the photos just to ask what/why has this happened, have they seen it before, etc. Its helpful for them as if you report it, and then someone else does, and someone else they can see a pattern and perhaps take action. If its just yours then it can be dismissed as a one off. I wouldnt troble MSL with it as they just send the boxes out and cant be faulted at their end. 

Don, you can get all sorts of things growing in fuels. Kerosene for full size aviation can grow things in it and you really dont want to see what can end up growing in the soluble coolant oil we use in the machines here. It would make you heave i can assure you. 

If memory serves you could get growth in castor based fuels, and in my experience the sical additive MT used to use must have some sort of organic component to it as i have had it go rancid on me in the past, especially if left in the sun. My current bottle of old laser 5 is starting to pong but it seems to run ok. The worst was an empty bottle of fuel i had which i left in the sun for a while. I wanted to mix up some screen wash for my car and so thought this container was perfect. The stink from opening that bottle was quite something. So i washed it out, mixed up my screen wash, didnt use it all and I got all sorts of weird stuff growing in there and the washer fluid stinks after a few days. Worse still, the washer bottle in my car is contaminated with whatever bug was in the fuel bottle so my washer fluid goes rancid after 2 or 3 days. Who knew washer fluid was such a great culture? At some point i will just fill the blasted thing with dettol/bleach or something to purge the system but i was always worried about busting the seals or pipes. I have been living with it for the past few years but i need to fix it. 

Well adding a twist to the discussion, BNIB and I broke the seal + its been stored in a cool dry place out of sunlight from LMS.

image.thumb.png.4d74c90428cb78e7b83764b38d3b3a6e.png

image.png.c8a24384fb8a607ab76704c5445917f9.png

image.thumb.png.07279db10483fceeec711344ac5b8092.png

Not tried it yet as I am still using up far older stuff, but I'll get to it at some point. Out of interest I'll take the now opened gallon and do some back to back testing with the old stuff on a model I can get to both needles easily. 

Comments?

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Confused 1