Planned obsolescence

Allan Bennett

I've been flying my Align TRex 500E for about 14 years.  For a while when I've needed spares I've ended up getting items that are listed for the 500XL or 500PRO or something like that because they're no longer listed for the 500E.  Usually they're a direct replacement -- the same item probably, but with a different part number.  But a recent series of events has led me to the conclusion that after my stock of spares runs out I may have to ditch the 500E and get a more modern variant:

First off the bearings in my BL500M motor failed, but a Google search found no replacement shaft and bearings, and a phone call to Midland Helis determined that the BL500MX shaft was not quite the same size 😒  So I had to get a new BL500MX motor for it.

Then I wanted to put an extra bearing onto my torque tube tail drive shaft to try and eliminate some vibrations that my flight controller is recording.  None in stock in UK (though replacement shafts are available complete with bearings), found some at a French model shop but they ship to anywhere except UK 😒  So some now on the way from USA.

Finally I wanted to fit some longer Align carbon tail blades to get better control with my 4-blade main rotor and low-ish head speed.  Plenty advertised at the usual Align UK dealers, but all out of stock 😒  So some now on the way from China.

Is it just UK vendors who are letting us down, or is Align gradually cutting back on spares for older models?

8 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Cars and boilers are very different from model aircraft though in terms of total numbers manufactured and supported.  You've done well to have parts, albeit, different part numbers, available for 14 years.

Agreed, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept.  I've thrown away many balsa fixed-wing models in my time because they were damaged beyond repair, but helis are so easy to repair (given the spares availability) that buying/building a complete replacement just doesn't go down well with me.

Built in obsolescence, The Ford motor company brought this to the fore in the 50's along with a new year model and aggressive marketing to sell more cars. 

I drive a 32year old Land Rover ninety, parts are not a problem because independent makers have stepped in to provide parts that JLR no longer do. [ and to make money ]

Generic parts like bearings are available from places like "Simply bearings". Another way to obtain spares long term is to buy other 500e's for parts.

Ten year old Citroen picasso, agents not interested, Citroen UK have no spare parts as it's "obsolete"....

Run of the mill stuff like brake pads etc. are available, but a Citroen specific part, no chance.

Will never ever buy a Citroen again, way toooo "creative" technologically.

Peugeot on the other hand, even shock absorber rubbers are available for a now 22 year old car, and she's running really well, uses no oil between changes and gives 60+mpg on a long run...

Poverty definitely influences a make do and mend mind set.

It's a throw away world an boy are we doing a good job !

• Like 1

Citroen UK showed no interest in supplying ( no longer available ) a new cam belt pulley for the exhaust camshaft on the 1.8 dohc petrol unit. It had a bonded ( it used to be bonded ! ) Vibration damper mass. One of the many exhaust cam cover bolt heads had corroded sufficient to prevent even a hex socket from gripping it, but sufficient bolt head left to prevent cover removal. The bolts are quite deeply recessed so form "water wells" . After 4 hours one Saturday afternoon I was able to grind enough away of the bolt to allow cover removal. The cam cover is plastic.....and was "unavailable" as a new part, just like the pulley. We eventually sourced a new Citroen part pulley from an EU country from eBay.

2002 1.8 picasso petrol.

Citroen was a good brand years ago. Every picasso owner I have talked to say they are a problem vehicle and will never have a modern Citroen again

Your in France, home of Citroen, does Citroen UK speak any french I wonder ?

A ten year old Citroen these days is effectively obsolete...

That's our experience of modern Citroen's .

The service book was fully stamped up by Citroen dealer....yeah right ! The exhaust cam cover insides were completely blocked up, the crankcase breather labarynth system really blocked and oil filthy...a service item...

Anyways anyone want a picasso ?

Edited by Rich Griff

I seem to recall that legislation was being suggested  for manufacturers to be forced to make goods repairable and put the  percentage  factor on the packaging so that a consumer can make a choice, I think Which had a rating recently.

We have had four kettles in the last few years , no replacement elements available , just throw o

into landfill

The problem is ton's of rules little enforcement. I thought manufactures had to supply parts for 20 years after end of production, Of course what they charge for them is another matter so when they do not sell they state "no demand " so no need.:classic_huh:

How long is the spares warranty?

We had a pair of largeish (80KVA) uninterruptible power supplies that were really reliable and after 19 years of great service we were informed that in two years time the service agent would no longer support the products..Why because the OEM parts had sat on the shelf for nearly 10 years and never been used....but their use by date was coming up! We ran them another year and scrapped perfectly good UPS's because no one could support them.

Buy something unreliable....someone will always be making spare parts because its worth their while 🤣

47 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Probably as much as Jaguar in the UK speak french, 3 years on and still no chain tensioners for the distribution for my Jaguar,,,

Jaguar currently cannot supply spare parts for vehicles that are now leaving the factory. Ask any U.K. repairer.

Mercedes are nearly as bad. Citroen are just a joke !

Our nearest Peugeot/Vauxhall/Citroen dealer closed its doors last week. Part of a multi-franchise company they had lost money on it for the last 3 years.

They have also closed their other Vauxhall site.

Their customers were the last to find out, though we had known for nearly 2 weeks.

I would suggest getting the parts numbers for what you need and trying in the U.S. (they have a different attitude to stocking spares on imported cars).

Not all, my food processor, Magimix 5200 broke down last year. Hammered for 28 years, had gone through half a dozen bowls, and ancillary bits over the years. And the gearbox went. Internally everything in the power unit except the output shaft, and the outer case is different. After 28 years, no gearbox available. I will live with that.
Bought a new one. Still being made. All the old ancillaries, bowls, blades, mincers, slicers still fit. Tiggers broom, the concept of eternal life. 

That reminds me of my wife's Kenwood Chef, which is of similar vintage to your Magimix and has gone through a couple of bowls and liquidiser attachments, but otherwise 100% solid and still in production.

Since the title of this thread is obsolescence, one of my modern bugbears is devices, such as mobile phones, which have to be thrown away when the battery dies.  At least with my helis I can replace the battery 😄