Help to identify Hawker Tomtit colour scheme from B&W photo

David Ovenden

I have a B&W photo of a Haeker Tomtit which was supplied to the RCAF in Canada. Can anyone help with identifying the main colour of the plane. It doesn't look to be silver. Could it be yellow? Or green? It's not the same as the fin flashes (red blue or  white).It seems hard to belive it could be silver, especially in view of the big contrast between the fuselage colour and the Ali cowling and fuselage step. Thanks for looking.

1434663689439.webp

Hi David, I think your pic is of a Canadian Tomtit number 140 [they only had two] but the colour is odd and the roundel looks French ish  Think the pic below is of the same aircraft in what appears to be standard yellow/silver for RCAF service.  Getting some shelter from a Lysander wing. 

tomtit.jpg

I put each image into one of those online ai driven things that adds colour to black and while photos. Clearly its great at grass, but not so hot with aircraft!

Still, i think there is a fair chance the darker one was blue and the lighter one yellow/orange. 

tomtit 2.png

tomtit.png

• Like 1

I think the ai learns from known examples and then recognises whatever it knows in future images. So grass, faces, sky etc are easy to reproduce as it knows them well but the aircraft itself is new so it has a bit of a meltdown. 

Still, i do think it shows that there was a change in paint job from a dark colour to a lighter colour. As you say the stencil detail is much clearer on one than the other as well as comparisons with the known red/blue on the fin flash and roundel. 

Old black and white photos were often taken using orthochromatic film not the more modern panchromatic film.  ( panchromatic only became standard after the 1950's )   Certain colours rendered differently on ortho film compared to panchromatic.  Therefore you cannot easily judge the colours from monochrome photos without knowing whether ortho or pan film was used.    One might guess that most pre WW2 photos would likely be on orthochromatic film with the unusual ( to us ) rendering of blue and red.   Blue comes out lighter and red darker with ortho film.

(colour photography was possible from 1861 but  took about 100 years to become common!)

Edited by kc
  • Like 2

Taking the facts about ortho film into account I would say it was taken on ortho ( blue roundel bit is light and red is dark ) and one should judge it from that aspect.   Maybe fuselage is green or brown - perhaps the usual drab colour for WW1 planes.

• Thanks 1

KC, thanks for additional info. 

The plane certainly was modified during its lifetime (as JD8 rightly points out) and may well have been repainted too. The picture of 140 in the snow with DH style wheels and no fin flashes evidences this. It also looks a much lighter shade that might suggest an all over yellow or silver scheme. I think I will go with yellow as many RCAF aircraft of that era (Tiger Moth, Siskin etc) were painted yellow. So, it will at least be in keeping with contemporary biplanes of the time.  And I already have an all-silver one!

Edited by David Ovenden
  • Like 1

G-AFTA was the last Tomtit built, restored in 1949 by Hawkers and then flown by Neville Duke [note head fairing he had fitted] before being presented to the Shuttleworth trust and returned to pre war RAF colours. Still resides at Old Warden today.  Had a good look at it some years ago. One of those aircraft that just looked right and was right from the start. 

Correction the Head fairing and Spitfire windscreen were fitted for Alex Henshaw when the Tomtit was used as a company hack during the war along with two others that did not survive being wreaked in accidents.

Edited by J D 8
correction

I’ve long wanted to do a Tomtit. Being Canadian I’d do the Canadian one. Looking at other period photographs of R.C.A.F. Aircraft the overall colour comes out very dark. These training aircraft were always painted yellow with a black cowling. I’ve long believed the Tomtit were silver when they arrived from England but at some point were repainted RCAF yellow. What I am less sure about from David’s photos is the colour of the cowl.
image.thumb.jpeg.e8fa3e2ef17a436b3bf7701be3b16351.jpeg

Yes, it's interesting that in every photo I can find of the Canadian Tomtits the cowling seem to be silver or (more likely) unpainted aluminium finish. Certainly not black. I think I'll model 140 as per this photo with the DH style wheels in yellow and with no fin flash.

It will be a change from my other all silver Tomtit.

tomtit in snow RCAF.jpg

In David’s second post (near the start of this thread), with the two photos, I would suggest that both of these photos were taken at the same time and of the same aircraft. The shadows and positions of the prop and control surfaces are identical in both.

The differences in grey tones between the two photos are caused by different exposure settings, and as KC described above, the use of ortho film would account for the colours of the insignia looking wrong.

Brian.