Laser cut parts

David Holland 2

Advert

There are two camps here David, as you suspect, to clean off, or not, the burnt cellulose.

In truth, it is not very deep, and a good quality adhesive will penetrate down to good timber and the joint will be sound.

A good glue joint is 1st made by " wetting ". The glue is spread evenly and wets both surfaces to penetrate and dry.

Heavily burnt surfaces are best wiped over with abrasive paper.

Edited by Denis Watkins

As with all questions about glue trying a test piece from scrap material of the same type then testing to destruction after drying will get the answer!    If the wood grain comes apart then it's OK.     If the glue fails first then try a different glue or preparation method.

I certainly don’t claim this to be the definitive answer, but I followed KC’s suggestion and the “brown to brown” joint failed at the glue line whereas, with the virgin balsa to balsa and the sanded laser cut, the wood failed before the joint. Sooooo….. I shall sand the glue areas as before, reasoning the peace of mind trumps a small time saving.

Thank for your replies,

David

Often the laser cut surface is dusty with charred particles / soot / carbon. Ifbyou ever get involved in powder processing you soon find that the finer the powder the harder it is to wet. A PVA or aliphatic type glue can sit on top of this layer and not wet the surface whereas cyano does wet through this layer more easily.