Decent Budget radio

Another thing to bear in mind is whether you could buy a spare Tx or Rx in future.  People buy many Rx to suit their one Tx.   If you had bought many Rx to suit a Futaba T6EX 2.4 ( the one you lost or sold?) then if anything happened to the Tx could you replace it cheaply?  The answer is NO in the case of the Futaba T6EX - you can now only buy an expensive new FASST TX at about £1000.  ( that also means your Futaba T6EX 2.4 if found might have more value now to anyone with a large number of Rx to suit but a broken FASST Tx.   As we all know it's very easy to drop a Tx and do damage. )

• Like 1

Can I ask if anyone has any experience with Banggood or such like.

I am not asking necessarily for radio equipment as I would be looking at more reputable UK suppliers, but more so that I have seen a fair few pp Foam models they advertise. I know these are going to be probably from timbucktwo and probably need more hands on. wondered if you actually get what your purchasing and if it actually turns up.

This will be for a new thread at the right time in the right place but,

My level of modelling experience is use of CAD for design (also used in my daily job of Design & Development of products for the Yacht industry), I own design and print models and functional parts on two capable personally owned FDM a Resin printer and a laser cutting machine for metals, wood etc.

I am a Kit modeller, and an Historical Wargamer/ modeller from Ancients through to WW2.

So this may help with eventually making my own kits/ models in the future or even replacement parts etc.

Cheers Guys, read a fair few posts concerning many people here using these sites for all sorts, had seen you’ve used them too. The posts ended up being excellent reading, all sorts of topics of which opened my mind to all sorts of avenues “information overload lol💥” but all good reading. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine and it takes quite a lot of punishment as I am one of our club instructors.

I have had it for some years now, added the replacement gold internal ribbon cables and I have broken one of the trim levers which I have the parts to replace.

That is all I have to do on it.

Battery gets charged when I have lost 2 bars from the display - about once a month.

What else would you like to know?

• Like 1

Thought about it a bit more Martyn.

I have done some modifications to it, added folding plastic handle in place of solid metal one and replaced the board at the top of the Tx to allow battery charging through the USB C socket - all Jumper improvements.

If you are buying new, all of the above should already be done for you.

• Thanks 1

@Andy Gates exactly sort of information I was looking for 😉

@GrumpyGnome yes have been reading and watching lots of reviews.

I have been reading and watching many reviews and discussions on Txs and open source etc, and like mentioned previously the information can become overwhelming. Anyhow a little researching and guidance from this post using the recommendations given and found in other posts.

So I think I have narrowed down to either Radiomaster or Jumper, and with my price point (although I was starting of at a much lower budget) I have come to either,

Radiomaster Boxer 4 in 1

Jumper T16 Pro

These are both available around £140

i have also looked at

Radiomaster TX16

Jumper T18

but these are nearer £200 so price wise go firther over budget.

i iniatially set myself £100 radio budget before even looking at Tx’s.

If anyone has any better recommendations to my choice and also any views/ reviews on the two would be most welcomed before my purchase.

@Andy Gatesvery helpful, have you used or come across the Boxer in comparison?

Another TX16S user here,think mine cost around £130,but they have gone up a lot lately.I`ve had to replace 3 sets switches myself ,but these were all covered by warranty and came through HobbyRC,and were easy to fit.

Think I was the first to get one at our club now there are 3 and a Jumper TX16(same radio different case).

I love the fact that I`m not tied into one brand of rx.I also have an ELRS module in the back,which gives me even more choice of rx.

• Thanks 1

I think a major difference between the JT16 and Boxer is physical size - the T16 is quite a large radio (same size as the RMTX16 I have), whilst the Boxer is smaller.  

I expect both will be reliable, and thanks to OpenTX/EdgeTX and the MPM's, be very very flexible and powerful.

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I think a major difference between the JT16 and Boxer is physical size - the T16 is quite a large radio (same size as the RMTX16 I have), whilst the Boxer is smaller.  

I expect both will be reliable, and thanks to OpenTX/EdgeTX and the MPM's, be very very flexible and powerful.

had seen from reviews the size of the Boxer is smaller and moulded well for comfort and grip, although there is a smaller screen. I am swaying in the direction of the Boxer but still can’t rule out the jumperT16 at present.

I have seen the Boxer advertised but not seen one in person.

Jumper T16 came out first and was quickly modified to remove some slight issues - internal ribbon connection issues and easier charging.

The Radiomaster Tx16 came next and was put together by a splinter group from Jumper. It is slightly heavier and chunkier than the T16.

Jumper T18 came out to challenge the Tx16, but there were some range concerns with the 2.4GHz internal antennae, the external being for 915MHZ unit.

T18 lite had an external antennae for 2.4GHz and no 915MHz unit installed.

I believe the above to be correct and stand to be corrected.

Edited by Andy Gates
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

I have seen the Boxer advertised but not seen one in person.

Jumper T16 came out first and was quickly modified to remove some slight issues - internal ribbon connection issues and easier charging.

The Radiomaster Tx16 came next and was put together by a splinter group from Jumper. It is slightly heavier and chunkier than the T16.

Jumper T18 came out to challenge the Tx16, but there were some range concerns with the 2.4GHz internal antennae, the external being for 915MHZ unit.

T18 lite had an external antennae for 2.4GHz and no 915MHz unit installed.

I believe the above to be correct and stand to be corrected.

exactly what I’ve been reading across the web and why I thought the jumper 16 might be a very good strong choice at the price point and versus the Boxer 😉 thanks again. 

I have an early Jumper T16 that had major problems with the internal ribbon cables. I have got the newer, gold cables, but I still get problems occasionally. I don't know if later units have been changed mechanically, but on mine, the two connectors for some of the ribbon cables are not lined up, causing a sideways force on the cables. This results in the cables twisting in the connector, and causes one connection in the ribbon cable to touch two positions in the connector. When this happens a switch or a button makes a second switch or button appear to change at the same time. It would be useful to know if recent T16s have the connectors in alignment.

Unless you want a big, colour screen, or a touch screen, you might consider the FrSky Taranis QX7 (£117.52 from T9) or the X9Lite (£92.24 from T9). Either of these may have a MPM module added.

The MPM project is an open source, DIY project. The "unique ID" in the MPM is not something controlled by the manufacturer, and in particular, cannot be guaranteed to be different from another manufacturer. So if you use a protocol from another manufacturer, you have no certainty it wont be the same as that on an "official" transmitter/module.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

still have not made a purchase of a Tx yet, but was looking to possibly purchase the Boxer set. I’m waiting on local clubs to reply to mails I’ve sent out really to see what is used on the field, but unfortunately have not had any reply’s as yet 🤔. Will be chasing up later. 
Now I have seen advertised locally an used/ 2nd hand spectrum Dx6i Tx, are these still very current ? £80 I believe it’s advertised at.

2 hours ago, martyn pearman said:

Now I have seen advertised locally an used/ 2nd hand spectrum Dx6i Tx, are these still very current ? £80 I believe it’s advertised at.

If it is this one then as you will see it is a discontinued product. They were first produced about 2009 but they still typically sell on eBay for £60-£80. I had one when they first came out which I passed on to a friend and, like lots of them, is still being used. Spares/repairs are likely to be difficult or uneconomic and early ones (like mine) were subject to a recall. 

Have a look through the rest of Spektrum website for what they make at the moment.

ps Early ones were DSM2 only & I don't think they were upgradeable to the present protocol of DSMX. If it does not have the DSMX sticker on the front as per the illustration on the link above then it is really not worth having.

Edited by John Lee
ps added
  • Thanks 1

If you are happy buying second hand, how about a Taranis?

I recently picked up one at £80 with hall sticks and an eneloop battery and hard case.

I then couldn't resist another at £45 with hall sticks and a life battery.

Rxs are readily available and relatively cheap. The ACCST protocol is proven reliable.

And you have the fun of sticking your head down the OpenTx rabbit warren, great fun.

And will never likely have a model that the Taranis will not be able to fly.

• Thanks 1

I would second Wookman, an X9D second hand is a good choice especially if you can find one with the Hall gimbals.  A big advantage of this TX is the vast quantity of information online about programming it and also ready made templates for most aircraft configurations.  The programming in Opentx doesn’t need to be complicated for simple 4 channel 5 servo setups and the new built in setup wizards in Opentx that guide you through a program will give you a useable setup with very little drama.

I Currently also have a Radiomaster TX16 which I have had for 2 years and it’s great, still on OpenTX and will work with so many different receivers it’s great.  Nice quality sticks and if you come from the older JR style tx’s it’s familiar to hold.

I also have a Taranis QX7s which is another good starter TX and if you like a smaller lighter TX then this is great.  The only thing it’s missing are the sliders on the sides which may not be a killer depending on what you want to fly in the future.  I added an iRangeX module to this which makes it possible to bind to as many different Rx’s as the Radiomaster. These can be found second hand too at a good price.

My final recent second hand purchase is a Horus X10S which had been upgraded by its previous owner to have the Access module which means it can use the latest ACCESS receivers and also the older ACCST receivers too.  The sticks are fantastic and very smooth.  Again this is on OpenTx and the templates available for the X9D are easily used to start with to help with the programming learning curve.

The final thing I have experimented with and have now found what suits me are neck straps, trays and harnesses.  
This is a very personal choice and I think it’s best to try the different options and see what works for you.
 I have found that the FRSKY harness for the old X9E tray radio works best for me and it’s cheap too at about £12 from T9 Hobbies.

Another good one to try is a saxophone harness from eBay, these are cheap and easy to modify to suit your set up.  
I like the harnesses because they take the TX weight on your shoulders, the tx doesn’t swing around like it does on a neck strap and if you have any hand launch models it’s stops you dropping the tx or even hand lauching that rather than the model 😁.  And yes I have seen it done.

The trays I tried I found too cumbersome and awkward and I even tried an X9E Taranis tray radio for a while.

I fly a mix of ic glow, electric and gliders and they really didn’t suit ic glow for me at all.

• Thanks 1