First taste of the sky

toto

Learning to deal with less than ideal conditions for model flying is a very important part of the learning process, otherwise many of our summers would be wasted - and this usually means coping with windy conditions (not much you can do about rain, although there's bound to be a few nutters who will fly in a storm just to prove a point).

At your stage of learning, Toto, although you're eager to fly as much as possible (good), flying in very windy conditions IMHO will not actually teach you very much at this stage - a different story later with more experience - but at the moment, don't think you're copping out. Depending on your model and it's characteristics and power etc, you'll probably just scare yourself half to death in good kite flying conditions, and with wind strengths that slope soaring fans often pray for.

Light, draggy and modestly powered trainers are simply not suited to performing their training function in the hands of a beginner (or indeed, not so much of a beginner) in strong winds, and rapidly take on the characteristics of an RC paper bag. A waste of time.

Obviously, only flying in calm conditions will be equally limiting, so build up your experience, trust your instructors judgement regarding the conditions (where the buddy box really comes into its own, as you'll be able to gradually sample the effects of increasing windspeed without too much risk to the model) and gradually become accustomed to dealing with windier conditions, gusting, turbulence, local conditions and so on.

In years to come, when you have that nice big and heavy warbird, you'll be cursing the calm weather and praying for a good breeze!

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Advert

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Learning to deal with less than ideal conditions for model flying is a very important part of the learning process, otherwise many of our summers would be wasted - and this usually means coping with windy conditions (not much you can do about rain, although there's bound to be a few nutters who will fly in a storm just to prove a point).

At your stage of learning, Toto, although you're eager to fly as much as possible (good), flying in very windy conditions IMHO will not actually teach you very much at this stage - a different story later with more experience - but at the moment, don't think you're copping out. Depending on your model and it's characteristics and power etc, you'll probably just scare yourself half to death in good kite flying conditions, and with wind strengths that slope soaring fans often pray for.

Light, draggy and modestly powered trainers are simply not suited to performing their training function in the hands of a beginner (or indeed, not so much of a beginner) in strong winds, and rapidly take on the characteristics of an RC paper bag. A waste of time.

Obviously, only flying in calm conditions will be equally limiting, so build up your experience, trust your instructors judgement regarding the conditions (where the buddy box really comes into its own, as you'll be able to gradually sample the effects of increasing windspeed without too much risk to the model) and gradually become accustomed to dealing with windier conditions, gusting, turbulence, local conditions and so on.

In years to come, when you have that nice big and heavy warbird, you'll be cursing the calm weather and praying for a good breeze!

I totally agree with absolutely everything  Cuban 8 has said here.  It's all good sound advice and this comes with experience.   

So ...... another weekend approaches. 

So far ... I have tuition on Sunday but waiting to hear about Saturday .... I think I have that the correct way around. :classic_biggrin:

Not sure what the weather threatens to do yet but I will present myself ..... willing and able regardless. Ineed to make the best of every day I can as the following weekend I'm on decorating duties for my mumsie, then I am on holiday in Cyprus for two weeks at the end of June. 

I am trying to ensure that all weekends are kept free for flying as I need to be committal in order to build up consistency so any Saturday or Sunday is a prisoner for the next few months which should hopefully get me to solo standard at least. .....So dedication is the watch word. My other half is thankfully supportive and knows not to volunteer me for anything short of a family emergency or similar. 

Mid week evenings are reserved for a bit of a mix of light domestic duties ( shopping or the like ) as my other half cant drive.appart from that ..... its shed time to catch up with charging batteries, minor maintainence or maybe starting to assemble and set up a new model. I also have a suitable park flyer that I could get a little extra stick time in with.

So there we have it ..... you all know my inner most lifestyle habits and an idea of what you can expect to hear about from me in the short to medium term.

I'll feed back throughout the weekend as it unfolds ..... fingers crossed for a good one with no curved balls.

Cheers

Toto

You have it all well sussed out Toto and the flying is a priority until you get to solo stage at least.   You are well organised and I hope this weekend brings you more success and satisfaction with your flying.  At least you are giving it your best effort.   This Saturday is a busy one for my club as its our annual Scale Day and the weather forecast looks favourable.   I'm hoping weather permitting to make a short video of the highlights and get a few flights in also.  

Hi Toto, because it's a Scale Day I will either take The Beaver with me with fourstroke engine or my P51 red tailed Mustang which has a two stroke engine.  Hopefully it will be a good day with a good turnout of planes and pilots from other clubs.  If I do get a video done I will try and put it up here.  We are also having a barbecue as well, with a club member who just happens to be a chef doing the cooking on the day.  Hope all goes well for you and your flying this weekend with happy landings. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toto said:

So ...... another weekend approaches. 

So far ... I have tuition on Sunday but waiting to hear about Saturday .... I think I have that the correct way around. :classic_biggrin:

Not sure what the weather threatens to do yet but I will present myself ..... willing and able regardless. Ineed to make the best of every day I can as the following weekend I'm on decorating duties for my mumsie, then I am on holiday in Cyprus for two weeks at the end of June. 

I am trying to ensure that all weekends are kept free for flying as I need to be committal in order to build up consistency so any Saturday or Sunday is a prisoner for the next few months which should hopefully get me to solo standard at least. .....So dedication is the watch word. My other half is thankfully supportive and knows not to volunteer me for anything short of a family emergency or similar. 

Mid week evenings are reserved for a bit of a mix of light domestic duties ( shopping or the like ) as my other half cant drive.appart from that ..... its shed time to catch up with charging batteries, minor maintainence or maybe starting to assemble and set up a new model. I also have a suitable park flyer that I could get a little extra stick time in with.

So there we have it ..... you all know my inner most lifestyle habits and an idea of what you can expect to hear about from me in the short to medium term.

I'll feed back throughout the weekend as it unfolds ..... fingers crossed for a good one with no curved balls.

Cheers

Toto

Hope that you have a good weekend. Something to remember is that, yes, it requires a degree of commitment to learn to fly to the stage of going solo, but this hobby is a long game, you never stop learning and it is vital to not lose sight of the fact that you're doing it to enjoy yourself and to have fun. Amongst all the achievements and goals along the way, take the time to remember to have fun whilst doing it. Don't let it become a chore, or erect hurdles which must be jumped in a certain time frame. 

Fair winds and clear skies for your coming flying sessions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as programmed, nothing happened this weekend in terms of flying. I spent from Thursday night to today decorating. .... dont mind too much as it was for mumsie. You have to put in the commitment know and again.

So I am hoping, by way of brownie point for being a good boy this weekend, next weekends weather holds out and I get two full flying days under my belt. 

I have two weekends until I go to Cyprus so fingers crossed.

Toto

The weather is to stay good Toto for the next 7 days.  So hopefully you will get out flying.  That was good you got your mother's decorating done  she will be happy.  That's my trade,  time served painter.  I got some flying done on Friday night as it was nice and calm.  I had the Meridian out which is all electric and a very nice flyer.  On the final landing the sun was just coming down.   

20230526_211307.jpg

20230526_211202.jpg

20230526_211133.jpg

20230526_211555.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

Yes, you can use the club 24 / 7 but I work full time Monday to Friday and I also need to rely on my tutors availability. 

This weekend couldn't be helped. Domestic duties called I'm afraid but next weekend, weather dependent, I'll be flying.

Looks like it's just going to be slow progress.

Toto

As a Club member Paul you can fly 7 days and 7 nights a week.  I live just 6 miles from the flying field and I try to get down as often as I can in the summer evenings when the weather is calm.  I did no flying yesterday as it was really blustery.   Most of the club members meet up every Saturday regardless of the weather conditions.   If its bad , we sit in the hut and drink tea and chat about planes and what's going on in the world in general.   It's a really friendly club to be in and the lads are all good buddies.  We have a laugh.  

Hi Aidan,

Sounds very similar. Most of our Club members are retired. I am one of the minority who 8s still working. .... full time anyway. I still have at least 10 years to go before I can sit back. ..... someone has to feed the taxman. 

Some nice photos there. A nice way to end the day.

Toto 

Edited by toto

6 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

Sounds very similar. Most of our Club members are retired. I am one of the minority who 8s still working. .... full time anyway. I still have at least 10 years to go before I can sit back. ..... someone has to feed the taxman. 

Some nice photos there. A nice way to end the day.

Toto 

Cheers Toto, thank you.  

No worries,

I never seem to remember to take my camera to the field. I'll see if I can remember this weekend coming. Hopefully no one will mind me taking a picture or two of their models. Might even get one of my Beaver.

If I remember correctly, our club has its 25th an anniversary next weekend with a BBQ etc. Hopefully that will flush a few more members out with their models. Could be a good weekend. 

Cheers for now.

Toto

At least as modelers we do not have to sit in the aircraft to test the things like test pilots of yesteryear. When microlights came to the fore in 70's/80's one type I flew had three in flight fails as a result of insufficient testing with fatal results. I got lucky.

Sadly, that's how aviation learned to design and build better and that includes today's wizzo aircraft.  Remember the Air France aircraft that crashed because of a single failure of its angle of attack gauge and the junior co-pilot sitting there with the stick, a side stick in the case of Airbus, fully aft till the aircraft hit the Atlantic Ocean?  Why would any pilot sit there with a stick in the fully aft position when the aircraft is stalled?  Thankfully, they found the accident data recorder which showed exactly what happened.  It was human error that even the Captain failed to identify!

The problem is, Paul, we tend to find new and innovative ways of making errors.  Training is, of course, the key to teaching us not to make the ones we know about.  Procedures and check lists help but at the end of the day we rely on our human qualities which mean we are prone to making errors.

• Like 1

Well ..... a new weekend looms.

Just had my instructions ..... all set for Sunday.

Our club celebrates its 25th year in existence ..... and .... I have a hat to prove it ..... so there.

We are hosting a BBQ to celebrate the occasion. There will be locals invited to witness what the club is all about and to see what some of their donated funds etc have been used for. They will even be invited to " take up the sticks " and have a go.

So ... flying may be restricted but should still be possible. 

So ..... tonight ... it will be off to the shed for some battery checking / charging and some checks on the Beaver to see she is all fit for the occassion and dressed up in her best bib and tucker. 

It seems like ages since I have had a adrenalin rush so fingers crossed this weekend provides the conditions to deliver. 

I'll post up regardless.

See you soon

Toto

• Like 3

Might not matter how good my pre-flight checks are ..... just given the heads up that a family of four and one other " prospect " are attending tomorrow so I dont fancy my  chances of getting much time if they are all looking to try things out. 

Sunday is open day .... could be more of the same with any potential newcomers who may want to try their hand ...... let's keep our fingers crossed anyway. 

Toto

Well .... what a beautiful day.

Sun screaming through the sky ..... the smell of burning coals ...... and burgers. Loads of people at the field today. A mix of members visitors from the local  village and maybe even a couple of prospective new members. 

I had a couple of flights, my first on the club trainer which went reasonably well. Amazing how two weeks between flights can set you back when you are learning. Changing between models is not may ideal either as they all have their own characteristics depending on type and how they are set up. So the advise that suggests to stick to one model if you can ...... is probably sound advice ..... however ..... beggars cant be choosers either. If someone offers to rake you up for a flight ....... dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

My second flight of the day was with my own Beaver. Now , keeping it in mind that the Beaver has been previously set up on both my NX6 and NX8 whichwe use for buddying, when we went to get set up, the model had disappeared from the slave transmitter for some reason.

I took the memory card out of the NX8, plugged it into the NX6 and copied over the model file ..... great we are back in business again. 

We done all the pre flight checks for surfaces, throttle etc and we also checked the signal between transmitters to ensure that the control of the p,and would pass between Instructor and student as it should ..... which it did. I had already given the Beaver a good going over last night to check for any physical defects etc and found that I only had to slightly tighten one of the landing wheels. ..... good to go.

Next up, our slot came and we prepared to get airborne. ..... my instructor took her up without a hitch and took her a couple of laps to ensure all was good which it ...... seemed..... to be. 

I was passed control and did notice I was back to slightly over allowing for my throw movements which was taking me a bit longer to get used to ....... especially elevator. To me ..... the model was clearly gaining altitude a tad and I was having to compensate by using the elevator to just nose her down a bit. It wasnt severe but going by the amount of times I was finding myself trying to do it, something was not as it should be. I heard the pinging of my instructors transmitter which I assumed was him trying to maybe trim the elevator slightly in flight.

Anyway, we are soon getting the warning buzzer set by the instructor to warn that we have around two  I Utes left of the flight battery and he takes over and starts preparing for the approach to land. He was on his final approach and just prior to reaching the runway with a couple of feet to spare she came down into the fields boundary fence.

There was a significant chunk of the elevator seemed to have broken off it and my instructor reckons this happened prior to actually hitting the long grass. It was c.ear that the Beaver was not going airborne again today.

I've looked at the damage and I think its reasonably easily repaired so that's my next task in order to try and get her flight worthy again by next weekend. 

Even taking the above into consideration, its actually been an enjoyable day.

I also take my hat off to those who went a ove and beyond to make today such an enjoyable with which to mark the clubs 25th anniversary.

I'll probably fly throw a few pictures up of the damage to the beaver and hopefully a record of how I attack the repairs.

Thanks to all for tuning in.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, toto said:

keeping it in mind that the Beaver has been previously set up on both my NX6 and NX8 whichwe use for buddying

Surely you don't need the Beaver setup on the trainee TX as all the model specific configuration is done on the trainer TX, all the trainee one does is transmit stick inputs to the trainer TX? Mind you I've never flown Spekky gear so what do I know!

• Like 3