First taste of the sky

toto

Quite right Paul.

If one 7 to 10 minute flights fulfils your needs ..... no need for another battery. .... well .... maybe with the exception ( extremely rare exception ) of a battery failure maybe.

I worry that if I was to turn up to the field with one battery, that on the odd occasion that just maybe I have experienced a particularly good flying session ..... I may find myself a bit gutted that I couldn't take advantage of a one off hunger for more immediate stick time to immerse myself some more in my success all for the absence of a spare battery.

In saying that your site is at home so you could simply recharge it and return ...... you are bang on the money.

Good on you.

Cheers

Toto

Ok Paul.

I've tried to be responsive to your point at hand and have ar least remained polite in trying to do so.

This subject matter has been covered in your own threads and indeed terminated by the moderators. You have simply come on to a thread that I am trying to use as a very run of the mill log of my flying experiences and totally hijacked it using it as a vehicle to carry on your rant.

I do not want my thread shut down thanks and have tried engaging with you and encouraging you to drop the subject you continually raise.

I ask openly that you refrain from dragging my thread into your ongoing issue or ..... just avoid my threads altogether. Should you wish to discuss any of the subject matter that I raise .... you are more than welcome ..... if not ..... happy modeling but just follow your own path on your own threads.

You really need to stop alienating yourself with these particular views.

Its not welcome on my threads

Good luck 

Mods ..... can you please advise what can reasonably be expected here.

Much appreciated

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toto said:

Ok Paul.

I've tried to be responsive to your point at hand and have ar least remained polite in trying to do so.

This subject matter has been covered in your own threads and indeed terminated by the moderators. You have simply come on to a thread that I am trying to use as a very run of the mill log of my flying experiences and totally hijacked it using it as a vehicle to carry on your rant.

I do not want my thread shut down thanks and have tried engaging with you and encouraging you to drop the subject you continually raise.

I ask openly that you refrain from dragging my thread into your ongoing issue or ..... just avoid my threads altogether. Should you wish to discuss any of the subject matter that I raise .... you are more than welcome ..... if not ..... happy modeling but just follow your own path on your own threads.

Good luck 

Much appreciated

Toto

Well said, best post on here for ages!

15 hours ago, toto said:

Ok Paul.

Good luck 

Much appreciated

Toto

Well said @toto. Your attitude to your journey to solo is excellent, and I am very confident you will be successful because of the approach you are taking. Just ignore our friend Mr D; he clearly has his own agenda that he will grind on with whatever anyone else with more knowledge and experience posts, but I am confident the moderators will prevent him from spoiling this thread moving forward.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

Many thanks Sir,

Just a little due consideration for others is all thats required.

The journey has  been good so far and just keeps building momentum. What I need is more stick time ( my war cry ) so hopefully Saturday will see me buffeting the breeze again ( hopefully an acceptable mild breeze ). :classic_biggrin:

Toto 

17 minutes ago, toto said:

Many thanks Sir,

Just a little due consideration for others is all thats required.

The journey has  been good so far and just keeps building momentum. What I need is more stick time ( my war cry ) so hopefully Saturday will see me buffeting the breeze again ( hopefully an acceptable mild breeze ). :classic_biggrin:

Toto 

Do you use a simulator? When I was learning  I found a really good way to get more stick time was to use a simulator to more or less mimic what I was doing with the actual model. The Real Flight simulator I was using allowed one to adjust the properties of the computer model until they were very like the actual model.

Hi John,

I have real flight as well although to be honest have not used it as much I I maybe should. It's not that I dont like it as such. My one big problem is the " view " that you are in when you use it. 

Once in the sky, it's just about all you see at times and it's hard to get your bearings in terms of lining up for approach to land etc. 

I'll bet it can be done by changing some setting or another, I just need to spend more time experimenting with it. I have a totally been given a simulated add on of a representation of our club flying field. I just need to upload it ........ now there is an incentive if ever there was one.

I will maybe take a night off the Arising Star assembly and get the club flying field loaded up and play with the settings a bit more. Either that or wait until this weekend coming .......  a Saturday night ..... big bucket of popcorn, a couple of beers ..... and away I go. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toto said:

Once in the sky, it's just about all you see at times and it's hard to get your bearings in terms of lining up for approach to land etc. 

I'll bet it can be done by changing some setting or another, 

You are right Toto, no point in flying aimlessly on the SIM

Set it to " Ground in view "

That is how we fly outdoors with ground in view.

A chap came to my place and only had sim flying experience prior, and he could fly straight off

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, toto said:

I will maybe take a night off the Arising Star assembly and get the club flying field loaded up and play with the settings a bit more. Either that or wait until this weekend coming .......  a Saturday night ..... big bucket of popcorn, a couple of beers ..... and away I go. :classic_biggrin:

You must be married to the most understanding wife ever! 

I actually learnt on a simulator entirely over the course of a winter and when I couldn't get in contact with the local club, it can be done, in my experience a simulator is harder than real life for the reasons you sight but that just means if you can fly a sim then you can fly the real thing, I've never had a lesson from an instructor because by the time I got into contact with the local club I could already fly perfectly safely solo (their assessment).

If it helps I used to use the biggest models I could find like a 3 metre Sukhoi or Edge, forget the trainers they just vanish, I also found it helpful to put it on the biggest screen I had i.e. the TV, you see much more clearly that way.

Yes it's borring, doen't have the adrenalin or the squeeky cheeks moments but a really great way to learn quite quickly, I used to discipline myself to do at least half an hour every single day.

Whatever you choose to do good luck.

I agree with the above, always use ground in view or else you just get completely disorientated because of a lack of peripheral vision which doesn't happen in real life. 

Edited by Philip Lewis 3
add comment
  • Like 2

Thanks Denis / Philip.

Mmmmm ground in view ..... OK ..... I'll bear that in mind.

I could always bring my " shed laptop " indoors and hook it up to our big TV .... from memory a 48 inch. It means dismantling if from the shed as that's the laptop I use most of the time when posting up my progress assembly thread and for uploading photos etc.

Still .... no hardship there.

I think I'll look into the bigger wingspan planes as well as visually, it has to help as it would at the field. 

I'll get onto that over the next few days once the Arising Star has progressed to a point that my time in the shed wont be so full on.

Cheers chaps

Toto

• Like 1

Philip,

I do have the best wife ever .... I can happily confirm that. We got married November 2022 ( last year ) after 28 years together. She always sports me in everything I do and that includes hobbies. 

She didn't blink when I started off self employed 3 years ago at the start of COVID which was a huge gamble for me ..... but it paid off. I am a Quantity Surveyor in the construction sector working in High voltage over head lines, windfarms, renewables as well as other industrial settings. 

I am currently lucky enough to be working from home with my Clients most of the time so commuting is at a minimum. 

A different way of living.

Toto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toto said:

I do have the best wife ever .... 

Ooh, that's proper subjective - could have some VERY interesting thread drift!

Re sims, they work for some, but not others, so if you don't get along with it, don't worry.  Sometimes, they make flying feel ridiculously easy....

My experience is that learners using sims regularly tend to make faster progress but those I’ve flown with seem to find the real thing more difficult.  

Philip - did you set “realistic” wind and turbulence effects?  Something that many appear to ignore and then find that the real world doesn’t always play nicely…

Interesting point Martin ..... again was not aware you could do this as I have only tinkered with the basics. You know ..... open the box ..... load the software ....... Gimme a plane 😄

Some experimentation required I think.

toto

30 minutes ago, toto said:

Interesting point Martin ..... again was not aware you could do this as I have only tinkered with the basics. You know ..... open the box ..... load the software ....... Gimme a plane 😄

Some experimentation required I think.

toto

Toto, if its of any benefit to you , I learned to fly back in May of 1986 when I was just 22 years of age.  I turn 60 now in September and I wonder sometimes just where did those years go.    Anyway13 years ago in 2010 I decided to buy a flight simulator just for the poor fun of it.   I was able to connect it up to my desktop computer and it gave me lots of enjoyment during bad weather when I couldn't get out flying to the field.   The bottom line here is,  that good and all was the simulator and it does keep your hand in so to speak,   there is nothing to beat hands on experience with a real model at the flying field.    That's just my own personal opinion Toto.  But no harm in having a simulator at your home to mess about with.  Just like Coca-Cola  , it's hard to beat the real thing.  

• Like 1

Thanks Aidan,

they can only help I think. I will get into using mine again perhaps making sure I have it set up correctly to get the maximum reality out of it that I can.

I think I should set aside more time for it and maybe take at least one full night of the assembly of the model. thing is I am buzzing with the assembly work and ..... partially thanks to you ..... I have the Tiger 60 to go as well ..... 😄 stop flashing these teezing models in front of my eyes .....😄 Oh .... and the domino arrived today .... its never ending.

In all seriousness ..... I will get on to the sim as it would be great to surprise my mentor with a bit of nice clean circuits etc.

many thanks buddy and thanks for checking in.

toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

One last one ..... for Aidan .....

Tiger 60 .....

P1100977.thumb.JPG.f804dc01abe3d6f35a71601acd0c41c9.JPG

and the Domino ....

P1100978.thumb.JPG.0b0ac2d3fbfd2f6e608990a76b0b264a.JPG

I reckon I'll have them built and ready for absolute terror within the next month or so. and that will complete my trainer line up ....the arising star, the Tiger 60 and the Domino ......... The three amigo's.

all the best

toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Philip - did you set “realistic” wind and turbulence effects?  Something that many appear to ignore and then find that the real world doesn’t always play nicely…

Hi Martin, yes I did, not initialy but after trying some cliff top ridge soaring (where I only went down)  I realised I was only flying in a dead calm, so after that I turned the wind up but only after I learnt to fly clean circuits and take off and nail a landing first time every time and, more importantly where I wanted to land. Quite a few years ago now mind back in about 2009.

As an ex club trainer I somwhat obviously agree there is no substitute for the real thing especially with someone who knows what they are doing but my main point is they are far better than nothng and in conjunction with real traning you are likely to learn and develop much faster.

Obviously a real benefit in the winter but also I used mine to learn to do some more advanced stuff like rolling circles, sims are excelent for that as they buoild up the required muscke memory which is exactly replicated in real life, far better to try things like that out first on a sim if you haven;t tried them before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Tiger 60 .....

and the Domino ....

I reckon I'll have them built and ready for absolute terror within the next month or so. and that will complete my trainer line up ....the arising star, the Tiger 60 and the Domino ......... The three amigo's.

all the best

toto

Fantastic Toto.  Those are three fabulous planes you have there in your hangar that you will enjoy both assembling and flying.   Good value for money aircraft and well constructed.  I have the Tiger 40 and I'm seriously thinking of getting the Tiger 60 as the 40 size flys so good and the 60 size flys even better.  The old saying is Toto that bigger planes fly better and I can vouch for that.   So pleased for you and it gives you something to look forward to and above all it offers you a challenge.   This is the one thing I live so much about model aeroplane flying, from you arrive at the field , to you take off, fly and land.  Its a challenge everytime for there's no two flights the same, every flight is different and this is what gives me the buzz everytime .   The best of luck with those aircraft Toto.  You've made a great choice.  

Thanks Aidan,

I'm gaining more confidence with the Arising Star assembly and  uch of these skills can transfer straight onto the others. There are slight differences between them but generally they are very similar. I have the building bug, that just needs to transfer a bit quicker into the flying side of things which I am doing my best to get the momentum going with that as well.

It will all come together. Roll on Saturday and fingers crossed for the weather gods giving their blessing .... :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

Yes Toto, fingers crossed for good weather this Saturday.   Our flying club is just 6 miles from my house and even when the weather is not great we still meet up at the hut for tea, buns and biscuits and chat about model aeroplanes all day long.  We also chat about world events and everyone has their own opinion.  It's the social aspect of the hobby too that's fun also Toto and they're a good bunch of lads in the club that all share the same love and interest for flying radio control model aircraft.    This makes the world a much better place.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toto said:

Tiger 60 .....

and the Domino ....

all the best

toto

You'll be better stocked than most model shops at this rate! 😂

Hi Learner 

That's my buying at an end for the forseeable future. I've more than enough to keep me going. There will be odds and ends but that's it. Time to concentrate on the flying element which unfortunately is in the control of others. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers for now

Toto

8 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Learner 

That's my buying at an end for the forseeable future. I've more than enough to keep me going. There will be odds and ends but that's it. Time to concentrate on the flying element which unfortunately is in the control of others. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers for now

Toto

I try to tell myself that! I have improved over the last few years (flying and buying) and try and keep to a one out (sell or crash) one in rule but there's always something I desperately need.