First taste of the sky

toto

For F5B competition use I set my heater thermostat to 35 degree C so that the battery temperature and hence performance is always the same irrespective of ambient temp (in this country at least!). I keep them in the box all day and even field recharge them in the box

It is also very useful in winter for flying any of my models on cold days. The battery packs really do suffer degraded performance in the cold.

I use a home made thermostatically controlled heater box with elements made from carbon fibre tows. Suitable thermostats are readily available on ebay.

Dick

Edited by Dickw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D9nt know what the chances are of flying this weekend coming. What I do know is that I am back in the Netherlands all next week. :classic_sad: murder when work gets in the way of your hobby time. 

Even if the weekend is just cold it would be ok. A chance to try out my new salopettes. :classic_biggrin:

Let's see what happens.

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

D9nt know what the chances are of flying this weekend coming. What I do know is that I am back in the Netherlands all next week. :classic_sad: murder when work gets in the way of your hobby time. 

Even if the weekend is just cold it would be ok. A chance to try out my new salopettes. :classic_biggrin:

Let's see what happens.

Toto

Those should keep you nice and warm Toto.  I wear "Long Johns" under my jeans at this time of year.   So did my father all his life.  They may be counted as old fashioned,  but that doesn't bother me as who is going to see them anyway 😂 

• Like 1

I invested in a thermal overall/flying suit a few weeks ago and it has been brilliant in this freezing weather. Upped the ante today by adding some chemical footwarmers to my wellies and a pair of tiny lipo powered handwarmers inside my gloves. In the event the latter were not needed, but the little bit of residual heat that the foot warming pads kick out worked superbly to keep my feet warm. They are single use, non-rechargeable and they expired about seven years ago but highly effective and recommended.

• Like 1

I use a pair of Zippo hand warmers.  If you fill them up completely, they are good for 12 hours.  I usually just half fill them and get just over 6 hours out of them.  One of each hand in a trouser pocket.  I highly recommend them.  You do need to replace the catalytic burner from time to time and also buy some Zippo lighter fuel.  Worth firing them up 30 mins before you leave the house to get them nice and warm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Look like Apres ski boots!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, very quiet over the last few weeks. 

Just finished on my current contract so on the look out again with a potential start in the isle of sky at the beginning of 2024. Waiting to hear.

Meanwhile the flying front has been non existent for now. Maybe an opportunity or two between xmas and new year. If not, I'm sure I will be able to disappear into the shed to continue with what's on the bench. You never know, Santa maybe good to me as well. 

I hope you all have a great festive period both in the air, and on the ground. 

Cheers for now

Toto

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just had my first shout of the year for some flying.

It could have been today but by the time I picked up on the email I was a bit late so it looks like tomorrow.

Battery charging duty resumes later today and the Domino will get its first airing of 2024. 

Great start to the year.

Happy 2024 everyone.

Toto

32 minutes ago, toto said:

Well I've just had my first shout of the year for some flying.

It could have been today but by the time I picked up on the email I was a bit late so it looks like tomorrow.

Battery charging duty resumes later today and the Domino will get its first airing of 2024. 

Great start to the year.

Happy 2024 everyone.

Toto

Good stuff Toto. Hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow.   I have the Boomerang on the charger overnight and heading to field now at 2pm.    Kind regards Aidan 

Enjoy Aidan.

Looking forward to a full flight debrief. :classic_laugh:

I'm still sitting here contemplating having a nice hot shower before making the 10 second dash to the shed to get the heater on. The house roofs are white with frost here and only really begining to defrost.

Cheers for now

Toto

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toto said:

Enjoy Aidan.

Looking forward to a full flight debrief. :classic_laugh:

I'm still sitting here contemplating having a nice hot shower before making the 10 second dash to the shed to get the heater on. The house roofs are white with frost here and only really begining to defrost.

Cheers for now

Toto

Hope you got that nice hot shower Toto.  I'm just home from the club and having a burger and a few chips.  It was chilly at the field today but dead calm.  Got a couple of good flights with the Boomerang and that always sends me home happy.  Good turn out of members today and a great chat afterwards in the hut with lashings of hot tea and nice pastry buns.  Hope your plans go well for tomorrow and you get a few nice flights with the Domino.    Kind regards Aidan 

• Like 1

Well ..... morning has broken ( feel a song coming on here ) :classic_biggrin:

All batteries have been charged including TX's. A quick once over of the Domino and everything looks good. My mentor has called a midday start so I should get about 3 hours or so within which to hopefully get around 4 flights. I'll be happy with that for my first session of the new year.

It's looking bitter cold outside, the roofs are a bit white looking so plenty layers of clothing and a hat and gloves are the measure of the day ..... a flask of coffee, some sandwiches and some other goodies to keep me going.

I need to get myself up to scratch quickly as I want to be progressing back to doing take off's asap and getting my accuracy going for doing approaches for landings. I've never landed as yet so that's the goal over the coming weeks if possible.

That way, I've more or less covered the whole gamut of procedures and I can start stringing them all together. Without trying to be over ambitious or putting myself u der to much pressure, I am determined to get quicker, smoother progress compared with the unreliable start I had last year. ....... let's wait and see.

Wish me well ..... I'm gunning for it.

Toto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toto said:

Well ..... morning has broken ( feel a song coming on here ) :classic_biggrin:

All batteries have been charged including TX's. A quick once over of the Domino and everything looks good. My mentor has called a midday start so I should get about 3 hours or so within which to hopefully get around 4 flights. I'll be happy with that for my first session of the new year.

It's looking bitter cold outside, the roofs are a bit white looking so plenty layers of clothing and a hat and gloves are the measure of the day ..... a flask of coffee, some sandwiches and some other goodies to keep me going.

I need to get myself up to scratch quickly as I want to be progressing back to doing take off's asap and getting my accuracy going for doing approaches for landings. I've never landed as yet so that's the goal over the coming weeks if possible.

That way, I've more or less covered the whole gamut of procedures and I can start stringing them all together. Without trying to be over ambitious or putting myself u der to much pressure, I am determined to get quicker, smoother progress compared with the unreliable start I had last year. ....... let's wait and see.

Wish me well ..... I'm gunning for it.

Toto

Have a good day, try focusing on learning to fly and leave the test flying of the ever expanding model fleet for the longer days!

• Like 2

Take it nice and steady - more haste, less speed really does apply when learning to fly. Landing is the real 'gotcha' among all the other beginner tasks, so don't be too eager to try landings before becoming really comfortable with the other aspects of a flight.

I used to get my pupils to perform half a dozen accurate consecutive landing circuits, each followed by a smooth missed low approach - say from below head height. If they could do that without messing up then I'd be reasonably confident that they'd be ready to go the last step and throttle back for a landing. Might be a bit rough, but at least a milestone had been passed without damage, and the confidence gained tended to improve the rest of their flying.

Good luck, hope all goes well today.

Edited by Cuban8

Posted (edited)

Managed 4 flights today with the Domino. 

1st flight was rough .... The second much better and the third, better still. By the time I came to the fourth, it was begining to show that a bit fatigue was starting to set in. 

I took off on all but the first flight and as above the take off's were I proving every time. Quite happy with the day overall. I could have had the opportunity to attempt a landing but felt I had not regained enough finesse in my finger controls to be smooth enough to attempt it yet as still tending to over compensate with some manouvres so gave it a miss. I don't think my landings will be a million miles away though.

It's amazing how much things had deteriorated after having that break over Christmas but in general by the time the day was over, things were coming back again. Hopefully a good few weeks consistant flying opportunities and I shall find myself pushing progress.

Very content.

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 8

Toto

In the early days it is just practice, practice, practice. Not only do you get better but the skill deterioration after a flying 'gap' reduces as well

Keep the flying training as often as you can & the weather permits.

At the full size gliding club I was at it was expected that pupils should fly once a week. If you missed more than a month then you had to expect the last lesson would be repeated and a towed glider flight to 2000' was not cheap and still isn't!

Keeping "your hand in" was taken very seriously particularly during the 'learning to fly' period.

• Like 4