Making a field box fuel station.

toto

57 minutes ago, Nick Somerville said:

I have a preference for hand crank pumps as it’s one less battery to charge. However I am on my third in four and a half years back modelling. Perkins, Prolux and  a Hangar 9 one. Tbh they all look the same and certainly they all leak the same! Do others experience the same leaking issues or do the pumps have a grudge against my winding technique? 

Dave Brown Six Shooter hand pump is the answer.....................as mentioned before, had mine so long and without trouble, I've forgotten exactly how old it is. No gears, no impellors, no seals. Fool proof and still around £20.

Not surprising that the principle of operating is used in some medical equipment (peristalsis).

Edited by Cuban8
  • Thanks 1

Advert

My field box from The Vintage Model Co arrived yesterday. 

I done a dry build of it and it goes together well. I had a few domestic chores to do today which left me with a bit time this afternoon. It wasnt worth the drive to try and catch the last couple of hours at the flying field.

Soooooo ..... I decided to get the glue out and pit this thing together. Took about half an hour and all was done and Waiting to dry out.

I will samd it down a bit because no matter how you try, I always seem to get glue everywhere. Once done, it's out with some spray paint I have in the shed, cant even remember the colour. Give it a couple of coats and then a couple of coats of varnish just to seal it from the elements and try and protect if from the obligatory fuel spills and leaks, drips etc.

Once I get that done ..... I'll start to kit it out with the panel and fuel system etc. I'll bung a photo or two up once I have had a chance to work out how to load onto the forum. ,maybe later tonight.

Cheers for now

Toto

• Like 1

The field box is built. 

I have most of the components I need to kit it out but still await the lead acid 12v battery which has been ordered but not due into the shop until Tuesday. Booooooo. :classic_biggrin: I have sanded the field box down ..... that was a job as the side drawer was way to big and was never made to fit in a hundred years. .... it's fair to say that I had to spend some time reducing both sides down a bit.

I may get round to the primer coat tomorrow night with a bit of luck. A couple of light coats followed by a garnish finish. 

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, toto said:

The field box is built. 

I have most of the components I need to kit it out but still await the lead acid 12v battery which has been ordered but not due into the shop until Tuesday. Booooooo. :classic_biggrin: I have sanded the field box down ..... that was a job as the side drawer was way to big and was never made to fit in a hundred years. .... it's fair to say that I had to spend some time reducing both sides down a bit.

I may get round to the primer coat tomorrow night with a bit of luck. A couple of light coats followed by a garnish finish. 

Cheers

Toto

A garnish finish, sounds good enough to eat Toto. 😋

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I phoned Elite Models cancelling the lead acid charger and requesting they just send the battery. Still nothing arrived yet. Didn't see the transaction come through either. I'll give it a couple of days. 

I appreciate you have to wait now and again but still disappointed that they accepted the order ( and payment ) for something that showed up as " in stock " whilst it clearly was not. Glad to say that this is a pretty isolated example so far.

I'm in no real rush for it as my first models to be used whilst I train are electric eo dont really require a fully kitted field box but there are principles at work here.

Toto

When I built mine I put two nozzles on my fuel cap, one goes to the fuel (via tube and clunk inside the bottle) and the other is just a vent.

The purpose of the vent is to allow air in when taking fuel from the bottle and to let air out when putting fuel back into the bottle.

Whilst I am not filling or emptying my model’s tank I plug the filling hose into the vent so the system is sealed.

I thought this vent would be essential but clearly from the photos of setup that has been working for year it isn’t.

But it does puzzle me, if there isn’t a vent, when the bottle just collapse (scrunch up) as you take fuel out of it forming a vacuum.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit shed time earlier.

It was one of those " multitask " affairs whereby I had numerous individual things to catch up on.

1. Re- charge batteries spent at the flying field at the weekend.

2. Install new stainless steel bolts to the Beavers wheel fixings due to a failure st the weekend

3. Transfer model settings between two transmitters to allow for setting up a buddy system between them

And .... as well as that ...... to progress my field box build as although I am flying electric at the moment, I've had the components to set my field box up for IC models for some time now.

So .... one lead acid gel battery charged to test out, one power panel fitted and a IC engine starter tested out on the panel. All was fine. I have the fuel tubing and a bottle etc to tube up via the power panel pump but that's probably for tomorrow.

No progress photo's as I'm sure we have all seen 1001 field boxes by now but I will probably post a couple up as it nears completion. Personally, I like to to see as many of these basic and probably very repetitive threads as possible because as a newbie to the hobby you can never see enough. 

So if all the hardliners shut off to it .... no offence taken.

Cheers

Toto

Toto, 're transmitters, check the manual I am pretty sure you only have to set the student tx to buddy mode all the model programming stays with the master tx, and when the buddy switch is activated all the master tx needs are the student stick positions. All the programming, servo direction, rates, expo, trims, mixes etc stay with the master tx.

You may only require one buddy memory on the buddy tx for both models.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party but I use a Stanley fatmax double storage box avec handle and wheels.

Bottom part with wheels has a deep discharge boat, caravan battery with  Anderson and Jack plug connectors for charging and a voltage meter plus usb for the phone. (one of my patches is great for flying but zero facilities)  a 12v field charger.  Top section has a 5l aftermarket fuel tank (eBay item number:385406299771)  and a power panel with pump. plus 12v starter/glow battery. Add in as you need yellow trays for the usual  bits-n-bobs

Great for a day of combined IC and electric shenanigans.

I have thought about adding a stand to the top as the battery is great low down ballast.

IMG_4108.JPG

• Like 1