Model Techics Fuel Formulas

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

When Model Technics were still in business they had a table of all the fuels and their ingredients. Since their products are now manufactured by Optifuel the list has disappeared from the web.

Does anyone have a copy of it saved for reference?

Yes it was handy, they probably only bought the name, but I never liked optifuel, still there are plenty more out there,,,

7 hours ago, John Rickett 102 said:

That must have been quite an old list as the popular TechPower and ProPower aren't included.

Big Bang was probably the nearest to what is now considered Laser Low Oil fuel.

658228229_ModelTechnics.thumb.jpg.43252c6a379cf9059e14e22ec72e29f0.jpg

What a wonderous additive.....probably regrows hair, whitens teeth and promotes male vitality as well. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I tried the Sical fuels and while they may make the engine run better, the residue from the exhaust has a smell like an old loco shunting yard but the worst bit is it's really gooey and orange and there's a lot more of it.

I am not having a go at you Andy, but this is always hilarious to me as i hear things like it all the time. Sical doubled the mess on my model, the sical in my fuel fell out of suspension and sat in a puddle 3 inches thick at the bottom of the gallon, sical did this, sical did that... The Sical component of the fuel was around 1% and would have made absolutely no difference to the exhaust residue or cause any other problem. The amount used was tiny. 

Anyway the only reason for this post is as a bit of a warning not to not assume that a given thing is responsible for a given outcome as, quite often, its isnt. In the case of the MT pro power fuels i suspect the orange goo was caused as much by the high oil content of that fuel and some other factor like a rich tune. Techpower was the same fuel but with less oil and it ran very clean, and the old laser 5 used it too just with ML70 and not EDL..mostly anyway. Its also possible the orange colour made it more apparent?

I do however agree completely that it did smell funny. I got a whiff of slightly burnt candyfloss myself. But as it smells better than petrol it was not a big issue for me. And anyway, when it comes to fuel, nothing beats the smell of diesel. 

But none of this really matters as sical is no longer used in any of the fuels as opti have their own additives in house and just use those instead. 

Personally I had used Model Technics fuels since my early days of flying in the mid 70s on for aircraft, and model cars indeed competing not only nationally but at World and European competition level without any issues.

Choice of fuel is often discussed not least because some manufacturers engines perform better with one fuel or fuel manufacturer than another.

I tried some Laser 5% in my Saito82 yesterday and was amazed how well it worked compared to the "wrong" fuels I'd used before. The main needle seemed to be set far leaner and no lack of power on only 5% nitro. I'm guessing there's no castor in this fuel.

We are told that it's OK to run 2stroke engines on this fuel but not on the Laser professional low oil version, has anyone tried this yet.

• Like 1