12 volt starter power source

jockbarefit

I am currently training at my local club using club trainers.  I will soon start building my own trainer (seagull jumper) using a nitro engine and will start flying it on the buddy box.   I am getting my field box together.  Can I run the prop starter from a 12 volt jump pack designed for starting cars?  (much lighter than a car battery!)

Yes you can but it's even easier to runb it from an old 3 cell lipo, you can generally make it wireless then because a small battery can just be tapped to the starter, if you ask around there are generally plenty of old 3 cell lipo's in peoples garages that are no use to fly a plane anymore but perfectly adequate for use as a starter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Jock,

Are you planning on using a power panel?  If so a 12v motorbike battery will do much lighter than a car battery. I used that method for may years but old age has made me cut down on the weight I am prepared to carry to the strip. Now I have a lightweight starter a 3c 3000 lipo, a glow stick and hand pump together with a 1/2 gallon fuel can. Make sure you have the engine tuned properly, I always have a fuel filter in the fuel can and one between the tank and the carburettor, once the engine is set up it should start easily and stay in tune, so not taking a lot of time to start up and run. My small lipo lasts a long time between charges. 

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Jock,

Are you planning on using a power panel?  If so a 12v motorbike battery will do much lighter than a car battery. I used that method for may years but old age has made me cut down on the weight I am prepared to carry to the strip. Now I have a lightweight starter a 3c 3000 lipo, a glow stick and hand pump together with a 1/2 gallon fuel can. Make sure you have the engine tuned properly, I always have a fuel filter in the fuel can and one between the tank and the carburettor, once the engine is set up it should start easily and stay in tune, so not taking a lot of time to start up and run. My small lipo lasts a long time between charges. 

Absolutely concur with Eric's sentiments. My 12v gel batt is on its last legs and a 3s lipo will be its replacement. Might be worth fitting one of those voltage monitors/alarms to prevent taking the lipo a bit too low over time. Bound to forget to recharge it eventually. Only a few quid on Ebay.

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Are you planning on using a power panel?  If so a 12v motorbike battery will do much lighter than a car battery.

But an old 3S1000 lipo will be even lighter to run the power panel on 🙂

My panel still drives the pump and lights the plug. Although I usually use a nimh stick, the panel makes a handy backup. And separate lipo on the starter. All still way lighter than the bike battery.

• Like 1

I cannot see anybody mentioning that you need a suitable charger for the lipo. I am mentioning it as the TS seems to be a beginner and going for IC engines from the start.

And, as Cuban8 says, to monitor the charge status.

• Like 1

Lipo care and safety. Discharge to storage dont leave fully charged, hmmm but those 'rules' out of the window when hooked up to a starter. 

I really do wonder sometimes about the conflicting advise and di as i say not what i do.

Tongue in cheek or!!!???

I use 4s 20c batteries, blue pack HK stuff. Not expensive. Charged to storage volts, and recharge every month or so. Current unit has been, as is, since I think 2015. (Guess, based on what I think I was starting then. No sign of end of life. 
I think this shallow cycle is similar to wot they use in satellites, they do many thousands of cycles. 

8 hours ago, Jim Hearnden 1 said:

Why bother with an electric starter, finger stall & and a strong arm problem solved & no need to carry around starter & battery?

I used to think that. 35 hours of physio for engine starters elbow cost the French government a shedload, and me a mind numbing amount of pain.