Learning Electronics

Having retired from a working life centred around mechanical and fluid engineering I would like to use some of my spare time trying to learn something about basic electronics. It would be useful later on to open the back of my Tx, servo or Rx and at least be able to identify components and what they do. I have not much beyond the mnemonic I learnt for resistor colour codes!  I have re soldered the obvious dry joint in the past but that is about the limit.

Is anyone out there self taught and how did you go about it?

Can anyone recommend a 'Beginners guide to....' or the 'Dummies Guide to....' on the subject.

Any and all help greatly appreciated

2 minutes ago, steve too said:

The Art of Electronics, Horowitz & Hill

Still have my copy of AoE that I bought from Foyle's Bookshop in London circa 1979! A weighty tome, perhaps a little bit much to be starting out with - all depends.

Back in the day, most local colleges ran evening class electronics courses both for the hobbyist and for those wanting to study for qualifications (I did 5 years, three nights a week for a C and G qualification and then on to HNC). It was inexpensive and available to all, providing one could stick with it. I don't think anything like that exists now, except for a few art based evening classes and those companies offering professional training (usually during the day!!) and for several thousands of pounds. Not very helpful IMHO.

As for books, I'd be inclined to try and find a bookshop and browse their offerings to find something that suits - maybe the local library? Youtube is a great resource as well.

If you haven't done so as a kid, build a crystal set - great fun, built one for my little grandson and  he was amazed! Even more so with a little ready made audio amp from ebay!

Try all sorts of beginner projects to explore simple digital techniques and analogue circuits.

BTW, if the mnemonic that you know is the same as the one that I was taught.............make sure you're not caught saying it to yourself out loud!!!!

I second the suggestion of building a crystal radio, this set me up for a 45 year career in electronics. In my early days it was hard to get hold of components and there was no help. 

I was recently looking on YouTube and for anyone learning today there's an abundance of teaching  videos and parts for prototyping are cheap and available. 

Just type into YouTube and find someone you can listen to and whose style suits. Just do it! Don't worry about too much technical detail and absolute correctness, just buy a prototyping kit and play around 

Good luck 👍 

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and started off working as a mechanical development engineer in aerospace. Pretty soon, I realised that I wanted to understand electronics so I read Horowitz and Hill from cover to cover. After that, I ended up working mainly as an electronics engineer. A brilliant book, that makes sense of it all!

Simon

• Like 1

Not very helpful now I'm but Maplins (the original decent geeky shops, not the 'modern' version that failed them) used to sell project kits for just a few pounds, came with all the info on the various components and how/why they worked in that particular scenario. I wonder if such a thing still exists elsewhere? I know you can get stuff for younger people but these kits really were for everybody.

Yes, y

59 minutes ago, Flying Squirrel said:

Not very helpful now I'm but Maplins (the original decent geeky shops, not the 'modern' version that failed them) used to sell project kits for just a few pounds, came with all the info on the various components and how/why they worked in that particular scenario. I wonder if such a thing still exists elsewhere? I know you can get stuff for younger people but these kits really were for everybody.

Yes you can still get build it yourself electronics kits. The company my son works for uses them to teach soldering to defence quality standards. Not sure how much explanation comes with them though. 

Little more specific but the Amateur Radio courses run by clubs would be a good start , there are 3 levels and give a good grounding in electronics . Plenty of clubs running the courses and providing help .

My personal introduction no longer exists 3 years of Nautical College leading to Radio Officers ticket , very in depth course but things have moved on since the 70s.

20 hours ago, Flying Squirrel said:

Another family member bought one of those electronics kits for my grandson but I wasn't very impressed with this particular example - mainly black boxes that you linked together to make some pretty basic devices without much of an explanation as to what was happening. I'm all for simplicity, but you can go too far. I went through the basic logic functions and their truth tables with him - only need a pencil and a pad of paper - he's far more mathematically minded and numerate than I was at his age (10) and seemed to take it in well, especially when I could think of real life examples such as an alarm circuit.

I don't know whether the Barnard Babani mini books are still available (a million things to do with a 555 timer etc😉)I suspect they've gone out of print, which would be a great shame if true. Worth looking at Abebooks and similar outlets for second hand examples.

Had a load of them - very basic to quite complex subject matter and quite cheap at the time. Everything that I built from them worked, something that couldn't be said for a lot of published circuits - I recall the Elektor Magazine was always publishing addendums and corrections. Sadly, I don't know what happened to my BB books.

Edited by Cuban8

Im a radio amateur and the way to learn is to do.  You can do a course with a local radio club, of one exists, but really you need to build.  Half the problem are with bad soldering so the practical skill is vital.  Look for amateur radio training books - they cover it all.  Then look for amateur kits, there are many and not all for transmitting.

Good luck.

Since building a valve amplifier over 50 years ago, my introduction to modern electronics was via the Picaxe series of logic chips.  They're aimed at schools, and give examples of how to interface other components with them.  I use them to build lighting circuits for my planes and points controllers for my model railway, among other things.

• 7 months later...

We had copies of Horowitz and Hill at work that were regularly replaced because they were 'acquired' by undergrad trainees. When I retired, I bought a copy for myself.  I admire anyone who's read it from cover to cover - it's a reference book; I doubt if I've even looked at every page.