BMFA Mass Challenge

Zflyer

A real shame but our club reflected the drop in interest - 22, 12 models - 23, 8 models, which mirrors the 1/3rd drop from 22. The drop in participating clubs is more surprising (182+16) 198 down from 263 in 23 which again I thought was low from the potential.   

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

That result is a bit of a disappointment but then there could be a bit of an attitude ‘already done that!’ That plus the 16 clubs who couldn’t take part due to weather etc.

Personally, not dissapointed at all, for me it has only ever been about getting everyone together to have fun, beating records was secondary.

• Like 3

OK, so numbers were down on last time (my club's 14 from the previous couple of dozen) but as Andy says, that's not really the point this time. We usually find it difficult to get half a dozen members to take part in club fun comps as it is,  so any improvement on that is a success.

I'd like to see another national attempt at something next year, even if it's not for any particular record - A different format certainly, not too sure myself what it could be other than a task or tasks that are safe, simple, can be flown by any pilot, and won't take too long to complete.

Perhaps a brain-storm list to see what we can come up with?

6 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

OK, so numbers were down on last time (my club's 14 from the previous couple of dozen) but as Andy says, that's not really the point this time. We usually find it difficult to get half a dozen members to take part in club fun comps as it is,  so any improvement on that is a success.

I'd like to see another national attempt at something next year, even if it's not for any particular record - A different format certainly, not too sure myself what it could be other than a task or tasks that are safe, simple, can be flown by any pilot, and won't take too long to complete.

Perhaps a brain-storm list to see what we can come up with?

Happy for suggestions on what to do. Do consider the distance challenge though, should be a lot of fun.

9 minutes ago, PeterF said:

See Andy's post from higher up the page, requoted here.

Mum was always telling me to "open my eyes and look what I was doing"!

A good idea and I'm sure we could make a success of it. However, as a mass, grass roots event that would get the most insistent of members who 'don't do comps' to come over the field as with the first mass challenge, I don't think it fits the bill. See what I thought as important above.

Why not have two events several months apart? The distance challenge and then something else that can be completed in a single morning and on a set date, which I believe will be much more likely to get 'em out of their armchairs. Keep it simple.

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Mum was always telling me to "open my eyes and look what I was doing"!

A good idea and I'm sure we could make a success of it. However, as a mass, grass roots event that would get the most insistent of members who 'don't do comps' to come over the field as with the first mass challenge, I don't think it fits the bill. See what I thought as important above.

Why not have two events several months apart? The distance challenge and then something else that can be completed in a single morning and on a set date, which I believe will be much more likely to get 'em out of their armchairs. Keep it simple.

The issue with the record attempts for many is its on a set date which immediately rules quite a number of clubs and leaves you open to the vagaries of the weather. One of the drivers behind the distance challenge is for it to be flexible enough so as many clubs as possible have the opportunity to take part, also as mamy members too as anyone no matter what level they are at can take part  even those on buddy keads. Happy for other ideas though 

• Like 1

We too were slightly down on numbers for various reasons, including the Leeds marathon which landlocked much of N Leeds for most of the day with a fortnight’s notice.   There was a slight sense of repetition too.

nevertheless we had a hoot and a barbie and there’s a definite sense of engagement within the club.

Our second fun fly was a fortnight earlier and had similar beneficial effects.

Ron’s club is running Wacky Races using my clubmate Terry Anderson’s Hanky Planky.   Our Funfly includes spot crashing which really requires an undercart (respect to Crashmore, Paul Crawshaw, who used a glider) and Bomb the Chairman using a strap-on bomb release mechanism so a Hanky isn’t ideal but what about a mass Funfly with basic parameters and the same course of fire throughout?   4 rounds is plenty in a day when numbers reach double figures, unless the barbie becomes a late supper.

I will expand on the basic parameters for uniform “scoring” which I have in mind, if there’s any interest.   Just don’t take it too seriously.

BTC

4 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Happy for other ideas though 

If there is one thing that would guarantee at least 80%/90% of our Club would avoid like the plague it is to have any element of competition in the event. No matter how it is dressed up as 'fun', 'simple' 'anyone can join in' etc. Sorry but that is just the way it is.

No criticism whatsoever of those that do not (or do) like a competition or task. This is a hobby and you should enjoy whatever elements take your fancy.

So, for me, I'd like an event that can be universally enjoyed, that you can participate in whatever your flying level, and indeed if you don't want to fly on the day, is not constrained to one day and you don't have to be in a Club.

I propose a 'Food 'n Fly Fortnight' for 2024.

The 'Food' element is entirely flexible from a snack bar for a lone flyer to the traditional BBQ or even a formal 'Afternoon Tea' for those that have the facilities.

The 'Fly' is just that - fly what you want.

The 'Fortnight' is 2 weeks (with 3 weekends) in mid summer avoiding the school holidays. This gives plenty of flexibility to avoid local big events (Weston Park, Wings and Wheels etc) and the opportunity to have a 'rain day' delay. You could have weekend, weekday or evening event(s).

To bind it together and encourage participation the BMFA could issue appropriate 'Food 'n Fly Fortnight' stickers with the Spring 2024 BMFA News &/or commission appropriately branded paper cups.

Thoughts?

Fun is what it is all about plus involving others who wouldn't normally come up to the flying field. To this end it was, out our club, a huge success with 52 people attending and 48 actually hurling some form of model into the air. The day was split between sport flying, the WRA and the Hanky Planky Wacky Races with a couple of BBQs on the go throughout which provided bacon / sausage rolls / burgers / kebabs and veggie options too. To hear the laughter and see the smiling faces was superb but to hear from the 'guests' that they all had a brilliant time was icing on the cake.

So when I said I was disappointed, it was purely to do with the overall numbers, our numbers were 30% up on last year and I was hoping others would find the same.

Roll on the 'Round the World' in a few weeks time.

• Like 3

No real right or wrong - some clubs are very good at this type of thing and others less so, or will totally avoid anything with even a whiff of a competitive or organised element.

I'm sure my clubs will give anything a go and we'll get a reasonable turn out, even if it's just the regular faces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Lee said:

If there is one thing that would guarantee at least 80%/90% of our Club would avoid like the plague it is to have any element of competition in the event. No matter how it is dressed up as 'fun', 'simple' 'anyone can join in' etc. Sorry but that is just the way it is.

No criticism whatsoever of those that do not (or do) like a competition or task. This is a hobby and you should enjoy whatever elements take your fancy.

So, for me, I'd like an event that can be universally enjoyed, that you can participate in whatever your flying level, and indeed if you don't want to fly on the day, is not constrained to one day and you don't have to be in a Club.

I propose a 'Food 'n Fly Fortnight' for 2024.

The 'Food' element is entirely flexible from a snack bar for a lone flyer to the traditional BBQ or even a formal 'Afternoon Tea' for those that have the facilities.

The 'Fly' is just that - fly what you want.

The 'Fortnight' is 2 weeks (with 3 weekends) in mid summer avoiding the school holidays. This gives plenty of flexibility to avoid local big events (Weston Park, Wings and Wheels etc) and the opportunity to have a 'rain day' delay. You could have weekend, weekday or evening event(s).

To bind it together and encourage participation the BMFA could issue appropriate 'Food 'n Fly Fortnight' stickers with the Spring 2024 BMFA News &/or commission appropriately branded paper cups.

Thoughts?

That isnt too far different to the distance challenge, fly whatever you want as often or as little as you want, just during the eight hour period wheb your club selects to take part, dates are between 1st and 9th July so incorporates 2 weekends.  I would image where a club wants to turn it in to a big family event (hopefully all of them) there will be food! 😉

My local club did a Macmillan coffee morning last year which was a great success, a bit of flying, coffee and a large variety of cakes! Whats not to like? Apart from pineapple upside down cake of course. 🤮

Edited by Andy Symons - BMFA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2