Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

Advert

Unusually for my patch at the airfield there wasn't a breathe of wind today at 9am. This just normally never happens.

Bearing in mind the Great Wall of maize still insitu I decided to fly my most forgiving aerobat, the Sbach.  I do wonder when the maize gets harvested. Opinion is divided on whether it's for animal feed of for a nearby Bio-digester plant. Additionally on the other side of the runway to the far side about 50 yards away there is another Great Wall of hay bales which coupled with the maize creates a wind tunnel effect down the runway most days.  Never mind I have to meet these challenges and at the end of it I have strange feeling of enjoyment/achievement! 

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.f185a34ef8bb328d3d6e76644c6a8616.JPG

IMG_1481.thumb.JPG.1e706ab3b9e63648fff07e7daf90a3f9.JPG

Four flights on a lovely day and all safely back at the work shop. 😀✈️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Unusually for my patch at the airfield there wasn't a breathe of wind today at 9am. This just normally never happens.

Bearing in mind the Great Wall of maize still insitu I decided to fly my most forgiving aerobat, the Sbach.  I do wonder when the maize gets harvested. Opinion is divided on whether it's for animal feed of for a nearby Bio-digester plant. Additionally on the other side of the runway to the far side about 50 yards away there is another Great Wall of hay bales which coupled with the maize creates a wind tunnel effect down the runway most days.  Never mind I have to meet these challenges and at the end of it I have strange feeling of enjoyment/achievement! 

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.f185a34ef8bb328d3d6e76644c6a8616.JPG

IMG_1481.thumb.JPG.1e706ab3b9e63648fff07e7daf90a3f9.JPG

Four flights on a lovely day and all safely back at the work shop. 😀✈️

Beautiful plane and nice runway to go with it.  

• Thanks 1

Nice day out today, I wanted to fly the Mustang but a broken wire on the Rx battery put paid to that, a bit annoying as I usually take a spare with me. Managed a couple of flights with the FMS ViperJet and 1 flight with the Osprey F5J (lots of good thermals) but spent the rest of the time checking out other ‘planes and trainer 3 others. All good fun!

• Like 1

Went to Hull in the morning, to take my wife for a minor op.  Checked in at 10:00. Op cancelled at 10:03.  Rescheduled for early Saturday a.m. - will need to leave house at 5:00.  Grrrrrr.

Went out for a couple of hours after lunch.  Took the little FW190, and my Double Trouble.

First time I've flown the baby Wolfie in less than 15mph winds - it really is remarkable, and really impressed the other members.  Flew 7 batteries out.......... then remembered I'd get longer motor life if I let it cool down between flights.

Never got to fly the DT as my reminder for a physio assessment said I was due at 14:20 (I thought it was 16:20) - I got it at 13:52!

Raining today 🙁

Probably the best morning of the whole summer this morning, there was real warmth in the sun, zero wind and perfect flying conditions with fluffy clouds and blue skies. That on what they are saying is the first day of autumn. Anyhoo,  test flights for a couple of models on different battery packs all went well enough, though my GWS Tiger Moth flew quite tail down with the 2s1p 600mah pack, which I'll substitute for a slightly heavier 2s1p 800mah pack for the next flight. The remotoring with a direct drive 20g pole and stator motor gave a big uplift over the geared Feigao inrunner.

My Funnyfighter Spitfire was greatly improved in vertical performance from it's maiden, with my new 3s1p 600mah packs, but a five minute flight had the cells coming down a wee bit lower than I like at 3.65v/cell, so I've dropped the prop size, compared to the bench test I did last week on some different packs. I think these Radient packs might be delivering a bit more voltage than the rather aged packs I tested the model with last week and the 8x6" prop is too much. Most of the flight was at very much reduced throttle, so she'll probably be better off with the 7x5" that I've fitted, will maybe see what tomorrow brings.

During the morning we were treated to a mini twister, which flipped over a couple of models, lifted a heavy plastic tarpaulin 20 feet in the air and carried all sorts of bits of paper and rubbish from the track up to a great height. Only one of us flying at the time, but it was a real struggle to get what is normally a very well behaved model back down to earth, the turbulence was clear from all the debris blowing about. A passing buzzard hooked onto the thermal and shot up from tree top height to a few hundred feet in seconds.

• Like 1

Yesterday our BMFA ACE visited to assess an examiner and as part of that process I passed my A cert, the examiner also got signed off. 👍

I had been practicing in our prevailing SW winds so yesterdays fluctuating N/NW took some recalibration doing the manoeuvres in reverse, however a couple of practice flights sorted that.

The Boomerang is now being retired as a winter/bad weather hack and onwards with my B cert.

6154c7b9-b0ce-4720-a2e4-242469d7d20d.thumb.jpeg.ae355e1bcfa15df7513fef71bf4c920c.jpeg

• Like 8

Further to my comment above the Boomerang is staying.

Had a lovely morning flying during which an instructor flew the B schedule with the Boomerang also demonstrating perfectly straight consecutive rolls. 

Reinforced how important the person on the sticks is.👍

• Like 3