Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

An ARC, they also made the Ready Trainer, Jupiter Sport as well as the Cardinal.  As long as the ABC plastic is protected from to much UV they will last.  My Jupiter is 23 years and by far my most flown model and on its second Irvine 46.

jupiter.jpg

• Like 2

Advert

Managed to get out today before the showers and thunder rumbles started. I have a temporary hazard, as can be seen below, to encounter until the crop is cut next month. You certainly learn to line up the landing properly!!

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.920fd3bb7420ec12ef73e075b36a2c87.JPG

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.ba7875a36867fd186d343e3fdef187be.JPG

Never mind all the fun of the day. Just made sure I knew where the rudder was!! 😁

• Like 3

On 23/07/2023 at 18:15, J D 8 said:

An ARC, they also made the Ready Trainer, Jupiter Sport as well as the Cardinal.  As long as the ABC plastic is protected from to much UV they will last.  My Jupiter is 23 years and by far my most flown model and on its second Irvine 46.

jupiter.jpg

We had a lot of beginners coming for training with ARC models back in the 90's - they don't look as though they're good models when you're used to trad built stuff, but in fact did perform their task very well. Only snag was that the model shops often used to saddle unsuspecting newcomers with an MDS engine that if you were lucky was merely bad rather than hopeless.

• Like 1

Snuck out with the Ruckus, Viper, and Wot4 - actually went with a purpose!

• W4 now has a landing mode - bit of 'up' and lower idle, increases confidence for spins etc.  Happy
  • Force 46 in Ruckus is now inverted - looks much better and now runs nicely. Happy
  • Yesterday I uprated the Esc in my little Viper edf to make use of some 4s LiPos, and put in a new receiver - a Spektrum 636 (I think!). Bound it with AS3X off..... all seemed good. Switched it on at the field to be greeted by the chattering of servos as I picked it up.  Grrrrrr

Still, as Mr Loaf would have said..... "2 out of 3 aint bad...."

Raining cats and dogs now

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 3

Took me ages to get past 3/4 of a circuit and ghen crashing!  Happy memories of youth spent on Mitcham Common.  I remember vividly the first time I flew for a full tankful and the relief when the aircraft landed in one piece!

I still have a Phantom with PAW 149 I built in the mid 80s to get my son's interested.  No joy unfortunately.

• Like 4

Best forecast for the week this morning and had hoped to get a single channel maiden in for my KK Outlaw, but the grass needed cutting first and an hour later when that was done the wind got up, initially to about 8mph, but them up to 14mph and flights with other, more familiar foamie warbird models went well, but showed how lumpy the air was. So the Outlaw will wait for a better day.

Did fly my RCM&E free plan built Little Mo though, which was brilliant fun in the strong wind - a  bit Sharkface-like in flying characteristics - wild ride under power but good as gold when gliding power off. The dayglo orange Solarfilm on the upper surfaces has faded to a subtle pastel peach, but the underside is still as vibrant as a survival suit in the sunset. Finished off with a flight with the SonikRC Spitfire, which took everything that the wind could chuck at it and just shrugged it off. 😄

Successful maiden flight for my pal Jim's Tony Nijhuis designed F8F Panther, which is highly impressive given that the mag only came out a couple of weeks ago. The model certainly scoots along at great speed and performed brilliantly. It'll certainly be joined by a Cougar a couple of weeks after that issue comes out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Hope that you are healing well Ron and that you'll soon be back on ops.

Thanks Leccy but I think it's going to be quite a while, nursie reckons another 4 - 6 weeks with bandages on but I can always keep my fingers crossed (well on the right hand anyway!) and I'll keep going up to the field to help out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Oh lucky you Leccy. I punished myself by going up to the field to watch and spot.

I'm in a similar position though not as painful.  Although the cataract operation was both painless and successful, my left eye still isn't up to scratch and I don't feel like flying one eyed.  I needed new glasses before the operation and my optician appointment isn't until August 14 so I'm in limbo until a few days after that.  I can easily pass the number plate at 20 metres test for driving, but I'm keeping that to a minimum, too.

Still, the weathers been pretty bad so perhaps I'm not missing much 🙂

• Like 3