Cyano Debonder

Robert Cracknell

Anyone found a Super Glue dissolver/de-bonder that actually works?

I bought some medium super glue gel from my local discount store called 'Strong As An Ox' and it is what it says. The stuff is bomb proof. In time honoured fashion I got some where it shouldn't be and I need to remove it before it become obvious to SWMBO!!

Any and all help appreciated.

If it's somewhere where itshouldn;t be then treat acetone with care, as it will dissolve or completely ruin quite a lot of things.

I did get some debonder from The Glue Shop, or whatever they are called now - used to be Five Star Adhesives - which does work, for dissolving CA - it's on the shelf, which is a daft place to put it, if i ended up getting stuck to the bench. Luckily I don;t use CA other than Rocket odorless and that takes so long to go off that you'd struggle to get stuck to anything with it.

Just found them - FMK Models - they don't list their debonder on the website, but it does work.

https://fmk-models.com/about-us--history-1-w.asp

• Like 1

Isn't cyano debonder just acetone (or even nail polish remover).  I'm not a chemist (even though I passed 'O' level nearly 70 years ago) so I stand to be corrected.  It's what I use and bought a small bottle at a local pharmacist.

• Like 1

Don' think so.If it was acetone it certainly wouldn't survive sitting on the shelf for at least ten years, it would have long since evaporated. I have a vague recollection that lanolin is involved in some CA debonders - and it certainly smells of lanolin, rather than acetone.

What usually happens on a forum though, is within five minutes of mentioning Five Star, or GLue Shop, or FMK models, the proprietor, who a lot of you will remember from the shows and who is a chemist, will pop up with an explanation. Give it a minute 😉

Acetone is great for cleaning up glue nozzles and pins but only if in an airtight jar and it takes quite a while. It also eventually works on rock hard epoxy brushes and mixing pots. Get it on ebay in a 5l bottle, sold as nail varnish remover. For joints which you need to take apart then the Toolstation etc stuff works but you need to be patient as it can take an hour or so and will need to be re applied occasionally.